Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 23 of McHale's Navy Deleted Scenes
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
639
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
18
Hits:
1,197

Deleted Scene: The Wacky WAC

Summary:

scene set during "The Wacky WAC"

Work Text:

Episode Summary:  Parker poses as a WAC M.P., to try to help an AWOL WAC Corporal get together with her boyfriend, before she ships out to North Africa. -- from www.tv.com

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Carpenter paced the bomb shelter in irritation. He kept glancing at the door, waiting for McHale. He shook his head and grunted. One day. One day he’d tell Binghamton where to get off.

McHale snuck in. He stopped short at Carpenter’s glare. He bit his bottom lip, trying to wipe the smile off his face but not quite succeeding. He cleared his throat. “Hey, Lucky,” he greeted way too cheerfully for Carpenter’s liking. “Is something wrong?”

Carpenter didn’t stop moving. He turned his back on McHale. “Why did you help her escape?”

“Who?” McHale tried.

Carpenter made it to the far end and spun on his heel. His eyes narrowed dangerously. “The spy.”

McHale held his hands up. “Come on Lucky,” he said reasonably. “You really don’t believe that she was a spy.”

“Then, who was she?” Carpenter demanded.

McHale frowned. “An AWOL WAC,” he sighed.

“What?”

“She came to see Clancy before she gets shipped out to North Africa.”

Carpenter finally stopped moving. His glare lessened and he no longer looked like he’d put his fist through a wall. “Major Harrigan’s driver.”

McHale smiled wryly. “Yeah. He’s her boyfriend. She just had to see him before she goes. She’s back in her camp now.” He rocked back and forth on his heels. “And she’s engaged. We’re all invited to the wedding after the war.”

Carpenter just stared at McHale for a long moment. “How did you guys get involved with her?” He shook his head before McHale could open his mouth. “Never mind. I don’t want to know.”

McHale took a hesitant step towards Carpenter. “I know the Captain wasn’t too happy when he discovered that she was gone.”

Carpenter’s shoulders slumped. He stared at the floor. “I’m used to him yelling, but this time was just…” his voice trailed off helplessly.

McHale went to Carpenter’s side and put an arm around his shoulders. “I know it’s hard.” He led Carpenter to the couch and pushed him to sit down. He settled in next to him. “At least, Binghamton should be back to normal tomorrow. You’re one of the few he can’t seem to stay mad at.”

“Lucky me,” Carpenter muttered sourly and buried his face in McHale’s shoulder.

McHale gave Carpenter a squeeze. “You’re my good luck charm.”

Suddenly, Carpenter tensed. He sat up straight and stared at McHale. “Corporal Winkle.”

“What?”

“Winkle was Parker.” Carpenter poked a finger into McHale’s chest. “You dressed Parker as that WAC MP to get that girl out.”

McHale couldn’t help smirking at the memory of Parker dressed as a woman. “I wasn’t sure it would work. I thought we were sunk when those two WACs showed up from General Bronson’s office.”

“Your schemes always work out in the end.” One end of Carpenter’s mouth quirked up. “Parker was one ugly woman.”

“I know, but any of my other boys would’ve been uglier and I’d be the ugliest of them all.”

“You don’t have the legs for it.” Carpenter teased and snuggled against McHale’s side. “And the Captain would know you in the dark.”

McHale laughed. “And you want to know something else?”

Carpenter nuzzled the side of McHale’s neck. “What?”

McHale ran a hand through Carpenter’s hair. “You know how Major Harrigan took all the WACs out for a drink.”

Carpenter felt the giggle bubbling up inside his chest. “Yeah.”

“He had a few too many and tried to kiss Parker.”

Carpenter laughed. “He’d need one too many to make that mistake.”

McHale rubbed the back of Carpenter’s neck. “I don’t know. Harrigan always struck me as a bit bizarre.”

Carpenter’s laugh turned into a snort. “That’s not something I need to think about. What did Parker do?”

“Left to powder his nose and high tailed it back to our camp.”

Carpenter whistled. “Wow, what a night.”

McHale kissed Carpenter’s temple. “And it’s not over yet.”

Series this work belongs to: