Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
600
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
9
Hits:
887

History In The Making

Summary:

AU. Set back during the Little House, Caddie Woodlawn, one room schoolhouse, days. Written completely in the form of Marie's diary. Enjoy.

Work Text:

History In The Making
by smartasschef14

 

 

Part One: New Place, New Faces

 

Dear  Diary,

I arrived in town today, to quite a warm welcome. It seems these parents cannot wait for their children to go back to school. As of yet, I cannot tell if this is solely for their education or for other reasons. The people here are very neighborly. I can only hope I remember all their names. I have met 2 neighbors to the left so far, and heard stories about the one to the right at the General Store. The lady there gave me a 'Newcomer Discount.' I have received 2 pies from my neighbors and a invitation to dinner. I was informed that I am the first teacher here who has planned to stay long enough to gain her own residence, as well as the only woman in town who lives alone. Apparently a few of the older members of the town, and the preacher, disapprove of this. That is all right, I plan to convince them I have only good intentions. It is a small home, but just enough for me and I would not have wanted otherwise. As the previous owners and I agreed, there is a bed and dresser in my room, a couch in the family room and a table and wood stove in the kitchen. I shall have to provide other furnishings myself, but that is enough to live on until I can. The first thing I will buy is a bookshelf, I hate having to shift through my trunk to find a book.  

 

You wouldn't believe the stories I heard about my male conterpart. That is what they are calling the neighbor on the right, as he is lives alone. They tell me he rarely comes out of his home and doesn't speak to others. They also told me he's 30 and he's never been married, although one of my female neighbors, a rather busty blond woman named Sarah who has 5 children and has been married twice so far, says he's very handsome and she would not mind snagging him.

 

I have not heard talk of 'snagging' a man since college. I will have to see this man myself and decide my opinion, although that sounds to be difficult.

 

School starts in a two days. The owner of the General Store, a very kind woman, says they will send someone to my home to show me where the school building is and to introduce me to the children. Her name, I believe, was Beth. The other neighbor who stopped by, Mary, was a very small girl, sent by her mother, to bring me her 'famous' cherry pie. It looks near to inedible. Mary seemed very shy, especially for the age of 16, but sweet nonetheless. Very bright, as well.

 

I should go to sleep now, Diary, I shall have to get up early tomorrow to shop for the things I'll need for the school. I also need to buy food supplies, both for myself, and for the End of Summer picnic that this town holds this Saturday, to celebrate the the end of summer.  Well, the parents celebrate and the children mourn. Beth doesn't sell paper, saying that there's a Stationary Store in town that specializes in such things and she'll tell the owner to give me a good deal. She says she's very good friends with him and that she thinks he'll like him, if he gives himself the chance.

 

I wonder what that means.....

 

Goodnight,

Marie D'Ancanto