Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Completed:
2008-12-29
Words:
4,891
Chapters:
2/2
Comments:
1
Kudos:
17
Hits:
4,067

A Tender Moment at the Captain's Office

Summary:

This moment occurs after the episode, Blow-Up.

Chapter 1: Chapter 1

Notes:

Fandom: Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea
Pairing: Lee Crane/Chip Morton
Category: Slash
Status: Epilogue to follow
Rating: PG
Comments: I would like to thank Tracy for the suggestion for this moment.
Notes: For those of you not familiar with this fandom. Voyage was a 1960's show with 3 main characters: Admiral Harriman Nelson, Lee Crane, Captain of the Seaview and the Executive Officer , Chip Morton. This fandom is a real favorite of mine.

Chapter Text

A Tender Moment at the Captain's Office
by Betsy

 

Chip Morton stood outside Lee Crane's office at NIMR. In his hand was a long white envelope. He had thought long and hard about the decision that was reflected in the letter that he had written.

On the last mission Admiral Harriman Nelson had saved his life by using a prototype re-breathing device. Unfortunately, while the device had saved his life, it had left him paranoid and suspicious of all the crew members. He had saved some of his worst vitriol for Kowalski and  Chip Morton.

The words that Nelson had spoken to his Executive Officer were confidence shattering.

"I never trusted you."

**How could he say that to me?**

Chip Morton had always prided himself on following his superior officers' commands and had never given them a moment's doubt of his loyalty. Now after almost 4 years, Nelson's shattering statement had destroyed his confidence in himself and his ability to lead on his beloved ship, the Seaview.

After Nelson recovered from the mixture in the device, he had told Morton that his words were not true but only a reflection of the device. But Morton's doubt lingered. His main question was whether the device actually created the mistrust or if the mistrust had always been there, and the device just stimulated the Admiral to speak his mind.

Since Nelson had failed to explain his thoughts, Morton had come to the conclusion that Nelson truly lacked confidence in him.

All of these thoughts flashed through Morton's mind as he stood at the door of his best friend's office. Morton heaved a sigh and knocked on  Crane's door.

"Come."

Morton entered and looked at his friend.

"Chip, good to see you. Is something wrong with Seaview?"

"No, she's fine. I wanted to talk to you."

"Great, sit down."

Morton looked at the man who had been his friend since Academy days. He knew that his friend would be hurt by his decision. How he loved this man! To hurt him or give him up was not easy, but he felt that this was the time to express his unhappiness.

Lee Crane was extremely sensitive to the feelings of his friend. He saw the concern and regret in the blue eyes. Suddenly, Lee Crane shivered and had a premonition.

"Lee, I want to give this to you. It's my resignation."

The look on Crane's face was distressed but calm. He opened the envelope and read:

"I hereby tender my resignation as Executive Officer of SSRN Seaview. I also resign my  position at the Nelson Institute."

"Oh, Chip, why?"

"You know what happened on this last mission."

"I know the Admiral came down very hard on you near the end of the mission, Kowalski was upset as well, but, well, tell me what happened."

He told me that he never trusted me. I've thought about those words, and I can't, in good conscience, stay on as Executive Officer, if the Admiral doesn't trust me."

"But Chip, it was just the re-breather that caused those thoughts."

"Was it, Lee? Yes, I know that's what the Admiral is saying, but what if he really thinks that and the re-breather just allowed him to voice those thoughts when normally he would have kept silent?"

"I've never known the Admiral to keep quiet about anything, but have you talked to the  Admiral about your feelings?"

"No, I tried to, but he just brushed me off. He said that I should understand that these kind of things happen if science is to be advanced."  "Lee, at this moment I don't care about science. What did he say to you? After all, he trusted you for quite awhile until he accused you of turning against him?"

"Well, we really didn't talk much. He sort of expected me to accept that it wasn't his fault because of the re-breather. I'm sure he didn't mean to brush us off like that. He is a busy man."

Suddenly, Lee Crane seemed to hear the inadequacy of his own words. He dropped his head. "Chip, let me talk to the Admiral. I'm sure I can . .. "

Chip Morton stood up. "Lee, I know how close you and the Admiral are. I don't want this to come between the two of you. It's better if I just leave. Please give my resignation to the Admiral."

As Morton turned to go to the door, Lee Crane suddenly realized his dear friend was walking out of his life. "No, Chip, don't go!"

The blond turned and looked at the handsome man. "Lee, it's for the best. You can always get another Exec."

"But, can I get another best friend? Can I get another someone who listens to me and is always there for me? Somone . . . someone, I love as much as you?"

Brown eyes and blue eyes met and held. "I . . . Lee, I'm not asking for that. I know we used to . . . ."

"Chip, did you honestly believe just because we ended our intimate relationship when we graduated that I stopped loving you? Do you still love me?"

Chip Morton was awash in emotions so the only acknowledgement that he could give was a brief nod of his bowed head.

Lee Crane walked over to his friend and lifted his hand to the face he loved so well. "Chip, look at me."

The love that Crane saw in those blue eyes was all the verification he needed. Their lips met in a long, satisfying reunion kiss.

"You feel so good to me. I don't know how I've kept my hands off you these last four years."

"Lee, this is great, but still doesn't solve the problem. I am leaving. It looks like we'll lose each other again. I can't ask you to have a relationship with me when you're on the Seaview and who knows where I'll be. Or, did you hope that a kiss or two would get me to change my mind?"

Morton saw the deep hurt in the beautiful eyes. "I'm sorry - you didn't deserve that."

"Mr. Morton, if I held grudges, I would get you for that, but I would rather hold you."

For the next several minutes the two men stayed locked in an embrace with a duel of tongues as the main punishment.

Finally, they broke apart. Crane heaved a sigh. "Chip, let me talk to the Admiral. If he doesnt apologize to you and give us a better explanation of his feelings, then I will hand in my resignation as well."

"What? That's foolish, Lee. You can't resign just because I do."

Crane looked into his friend's eyes with compete sincerity. "Chip, I wouldn't be resigning because you are, I would be resigning because someone I care about deeply was treated unjustly and when I attempted to rectify this injustice, I received no consideration."

"But what would you do? You're a born sub-driver."

"Well, I could go back into the Navy, but that would separate us even more, and we know how they feel about certain relationships. That would cancel out ONI, too."

"You bet your life, it would. I won't have you risking your life just because I'm unhappy."

"Chip, I will not lose you. We are in this together. If things don't go well, we'll take off a week or so and make plans for our future."

"This is against my better judgement. I have no reservations about myself, but I didn't mean to drag you along in this. The Admiral will never let you resign."

"Hmm, I guess I better have something ready."  Crane quickly wrote out a resignaton letter. "Now if the Admiral gets his Irish stubborn up, I'll be ready."

"Lee, I wish you'd think this over. You and the Admiral are so close. Are you sure you don't . . "

"What are you saying, Chip?"

"Well, are you sure you know your feelings for . . . . him? It's obvious that he considers you a good friend. I don't want you resigning and then regretting it later. I couldn't stand it if you came to hate me because you lost the Admiral."

"Chip Morton, are you jealous? I regard the Admiral as a friend, but if he can't apologize to you and explain his feelings, then maybe he isn't as good a friend as I thought. But, that is all he is. I do not love him. I am not in love with him. I certainly do not want to be in his ass like I do yours. So no more of this nonsense. I want you and only you. In fact, if we hadn't been on Seaview, I would have already bedded you. So no more doubts."

Crane put his long arms around the narrow waist of his lover. His body tingled from the closeness of this wonderful man. The future might be uncertain, but he could not face losing this beautiful man.

"Chip, you stay here. I am going over to see the Admiral right away. No reason to put it off."

Crane gave his friend a quick kiss and left.
 
Morton sat down again. His concern showed in his crystal blue eyes. **Oh, Lee, I never meant this to happen. I have loved you for so long, but do you love me enough to lose Seaview and the Admiral?**

Morton did not know how long he had been sitting there when Lee Crane stormed into the office. "That man is as stubborn as a Missouri mule."

"What happened?"

"Well, I explained our feelings. He listened quietly and said that he was sorry we were upset. BUT HE WOULD NOT APOLOGIZE TO YOU OR EXPLAIN HIS FEELINGS."

Crane began to collect a few momentos off the walls and put them in a box.

"Is that all he said.?"

"Yeah, well I was really beginning to lose my temper and when he made a reference to the fact that we seemed to be doing this as a conspiracy, I lost it all. I told him about us and that we were handing in our resignations."

"Oh Lee, what did he say about us?"

"He didn't seem too shocked but awfully bitter. He said maybe it was a good idea that we left together then. He also said he could always find a new command team before the next scheduled mission. That's when I looked him straight in the eye and said, 'Fine - then do it.' and threw the two resignations at him."

Chip Morton stood stunned for a second, but then started helping Crane take down his personal items. One of the items was a photo of the three of them after a mission.

"What should I do with this?"

"Leave it. I . . . I . . ."

At that point, Crane broke down. He began to sob. Morton came over and took the beloved man into his arms and held him for a long time. He whispered words of comfort and kissed him over and over.

"Oh, Lee. Go back to the Admiral. I'm sure he'll understand. You don't have to suffer over this."

Crane looked at his friend. "I am sorry that the Admiral is being so stubborn. He certainly isn't the man I thought he was. But what I'm upset about is losing my temper and not getting you that apology. I'm really sorry, Chip."

"Oh, Lee. I do love you. You just walked away from everything you love and you worry about me."

"You're wrong, Chip. I'm not walking away from everything I love, I'm taking you with me."

The two men packed up the few remaining items; walked out the door and out of the life of
NIMR.

 
The End

Epilogue to follow