Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 5 of A Vampire in Space
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
1,088
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
1
Kudos:
15
Bookmarks:
1
Hits:
1,878

A Holo Christmas

Summary:

Data wants to give Spike a real Christmas.  Set in my A Vampire in Space universe.

Work Text:

A Holo Christmas
by Lilithangel
 

 
“What’s going on?” Spike said as Data led him to the Holo suite.
 
“A surprise for you,” Data replied, “I have researched carefully and think I have recreated things exactly.  I do hope you will enjoy it.”  He opened the door to the suite and snow drifted out.
 
Spike stepped inside, right into a Victorian Christmas card.
 
A row of houses were brightly lit and the wrought iron out front was dusted with the snow that was still gently falling.  A street vendor trundled his cart down the street and Spike could smell the chestnuts roasting on the small brazier perched on it.
 
Women in velvet dresses with fur muffs bustled along the footpath with gentlemen beside them carrying gaily wrapped parcels.  Small glows of warmth appeared as the gaslights were fired up.
 
Spike looked at Data quizzically.
 
“I researched your human time,” Data said, “I hope it is accurate enough.”  He led the way up the steps of one of the houses and unlocked the door, ushering Spike inside.  “I have suitable clothing available if you wish,” he added.
 
“Why not,” Spike said, touched by the effort Data had gone to in recreating a time he barely remembered anymore.  What he could remember and practically count on two hands, was the number of times anyone had gone to that much effort for him.
 
He slipped into the breeches and soft linen shirt Data had provided but decided against the coat and tie, preferring to stay more casual.  When he turned around Data was wearing a similar outfit.
 
“The period suits you,” he said with appreciation.
 
“Captain Picard is fond of this period,” Data replied, “We have visited Mr Sherlock Holmes many times.”  He placed his favourite pipe between his teeth and Spike had to laugh.
 
“Does that make me Dr Watson?” Spike said.
 
“I think you would be a fine Dr Watson,” Data replied, “or Professor Moriarty, if you set your mind to it.”
 
“I think I would rather be just William tonight,” Spike said.
 
They went into the drawing room where a fire blazed merrily in the grate and two leather wing chairs flanked a small table which carried a decanter and two glasses.
 
Outside they could hear carollers singing and the room smelled of coal, something Spike had forgotten but brought memories tumbling back.  Data poured them both a glass of sherry and Spike sipped in with a smile.
 
Outside carollers started singing and Spike sighed.  “When I was human it wasn’t always nice,” he said, “humans could be pretty cruel, but Christmas snow covered a thousand sins.  My mother would have the maids decorate with fresh holly boughs and cook would make pudding.  All the staff would share a sherry with us before going home, and we would go to church in the morning.  After she got sick we couldn’t go to church but I tried to keep up the other traditions for her.”
 
“Do you ever think about what your life would have been like if you hadn’t become a vampire?” Data asked curiously.
 
“I used to,” Spike admitted, “but I wasn’t much of a man really.  I suspect I would have lived on in the house after mother died, too shy and nervous to approach a gentlewoman, and too embarrassed by any other urges to approach any men either.  I would have lived a short lonely life and that would have been it.”  He drained his glass and returned it to the table.
 
“Merry Christmas, Spike,” Data said, sliding a small box across the table.  “Have I not done it right?” he asked when Spike simply stared at the box, “I believe the exchange of gifts is customary at Christmas time.”
 
“Yeah it is,” Spike said, “but I didn’t get you anything.” He still didn’t touch the box.
 
“You have given me more humanity in the time you’ve been on board than most of my existence,” Data said seriously, “that is a gift I can never repay.”
 
“Don’t need to repay it,” Spike said, his fingers touching the edge of the box, “gave because I wanted to.”
 
“Then I give you this because I want to,” Data replied.
 
Spike opened the box to find an old style photo frame with a picture of Data and Spike.  They were at the bar having just beaten Riker and Worf at table hockey, the game Spike had introduced everyone to.  Spike hadn’t even known someone had taken any images of that night.
 
“Friends have pictures of each other, that’s correct isn’t it?” Data said when Spike didn’t say anything.
 
“Yes they do,” Spike said.  He reached over and cupped Data’s face.  “Thank you.”
 
“I can access images from my internal database, but I am aware that memory can be fleeting and thought it would be nice for you to remember me,” Data said, pressing into Spike’s touch.
 
“I never forget the people I love,” Spike said, “but physical memories are few and far between so thank you.”
 
“I think I’m beginning to understand love,” Data said thoughtfully.  “It makes you worried about someone, think about them often, and want them to be happy.  Not for any reason except that you like the expression on their face.”
 
“You’re getting it,” Spike said.
 
“I wish for you to be happy, Spike,” Data said.
 
“I am,” Spike replied and he looked surprised.  “I really am, thanks to you.”
 
“I am glad.  I also have a gift for Angel,” Data added, “but I would like to explore my sexual responses some more.”
 
Spike laughed, “The bed upstairs made?” he asked.
 
“Yes it is,” Data said.
 
“Your cheeky responses are coming on fine,” Spike said.  He stood up and offered Data his hand.
 
“I do not require assistance to stand,” Data said in puzzlement.
 
“This is another one of those love responses,” Spike said.  Data tilted his head and then put his hand in Spike’s.
 
Spike pulled him to his feet and dragged him close enough for a kiss.
 
“Ah,” Data said when Spike pulled back, “ulterior motives.  I understand.”
 
“You’ll understand a lot more soon enough,” Spike replied.  “Another human custom,” he added looking up at the mistletoe hanging in the doorway, “kissing under the mistletoe.”
 
“Perhaps we should bring it with us and attached it to the bedpost,” Data suggested.
 
“Merry Christmas, Data,” Spike said.  He unhooked the mistletoe and led his new and most unusual lover to bed.  It was quite definitely the best Christmas he’d had in a long time.
 
END

Series this work belongs to: