Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Relationship:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2008-12-23
Words:
1,948
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
4
Hits:
1,356

Learning to Live Again

Summary:

Breathe in, breathe out, keep going on.

Disclaimer: The X-Men belong to Marvel. "Learning to Live Again" Belongs to Garth Brooks. This is purely fiction. No harm intended.

Work Text:

Learning to Live Again
by SisterWine

 

 

I burned my hand, I cut my face
Heaven knows how long it's been
Since I've felt so out of place
I'm wonderin' if I'll fit in

Logan stood at the full length mirror and fussed with his maroon tie. He hated wearing ties. Growls and groans filled the oversized bedroom as he threw an end over this way and the other over that way, looping it, and knotting it in a mangled mess. He hated wearing stupid ties. "Why the Hell am I doin' this, anyway? I'm too old for 'play dates'," he growled at his reflection who was having just as hard of a time as he was with a non-matching tie. His pressed white shirt was buttoned and neatly tucked into his brown suitpants. "Aw, Hell!" Pulling the tie off and angrily throwing it down onto the creme carpet, he huffed and stomped into the master bathroom, on the other side of the room to comb his hair.

Debbie and Charley said they'd be here by nine
And Deb said she might bring a friend
Just my luck, they're right on time
So here I go again

Deb had told him that they had a special evening planned and for him to be nicely dressed and ready by nine sharp. She knew alot about Logan for having known him through her late friend, Jean. After Jean left him, Deb kept up appearances with Logan to make sure he was alright. She and her husband tried hard to include him in things and to keep up his spirits of finding someone new. However, it didn't always work out for the better. "Women are too fragile," he told her after the third date he had been on ended in shambles. She would just have to try harder in finding someone more his speed.

The doorbell rang as he checked himself in the mirror. He was amazed that the scar on his right cheek, where he cut himself, had faded away. The burn on his left hand, where he had gotten so mad at Jean's departure that he slammed it down on a hot burner, had almost completely healed. An impatient bell rang again and hurried Logan down the stairs and over to the front door to receive his visitors.

I'm gonna smile my best smile
And I'm gonna laugh like it's going out of style
Look into her eyes and pray that she don't see
That learning to live again is killing me

A deep breath and a twist of the crystal knob forced him to smile big and welcome Deb and Charles into his lavished home. "Right on time, Deb."

"Oh, hello Logan! It's just Charlie and me, right now. Remy said he would meet us at the restaurant." Deb was the first one inside and gave Logan a big 'how ya doin', long time no see' hug before Charles shook his hand and nodded a quiet "hello."

Logan paused for a moment. "Remy?"

Deb smiled brightly and playfully nudged Logan in his right shoulder as he closed the door behind them. "Yes. He's a friend from the office, and kinda new to the place so, I thought we would invite him with us. You don't mind, do you?"

"Uh, no. Not at all." Logan smiled a carefully worried smile and ushered them into the living room. "Can I get you anything to drink before we go?"

Both shook their heads before glancing knowingly at the other.

"Remodeled the place, huh?" Charles noticed the hard shined wood floor with furry white and black rugs sequentially placed along the floor. His gruff voice bounced off the vaulted ceiling as he turned
to note the newly stone designed fireplace. "Looks like you're gonna get that log cabin look into this mansion, yet, huh buddy?"

Logan looked around his own living room with a sort of awe. Had he really done all of this after Jean moved out? "Yea, got tired of the way it looked. Reminded me of her too much."

Deb nodded but didn't speak. She was a short women, about Logan's height, and a bit heavy but she wore it well. Curly auburn hair had been gathered back into a messy bun in back of her head. A round face had always been accompanied by a smile and rosy cheeks. She was attractive enough to flirt with whom she wanted but chose to tone down her looks for her husband who wanted her the way she was.

Charles was a taller man, brawny and had a voice that would shake the very foundation when he laughed. Bushy brown hair was swept from his brown eyes over to the left and would occasionally fall into his face if he tilted his head just right. "Well, shall we?" Charles checked his watch for the third time since having left the car in the driveway. He didn't know who was more eager to get on with the night, Logan- to get it over and done with, Deb- to see how Logan and Remy got along, or himself, as his stomach growled in hunger.

Little cafe, table for four
But there's just conversation for three
I like the way she let me get the door
I wonder what she thinks of me

Two to a booth, Charles inside and Deb outside, on one side, and across were Logan inside and Remy outside, as he was the last to show up. Logan was nice enough to get up and open the diner door for the seemingly confused young man.

"Merci." The tall, auburn haired young man smiled as he stepped in and nonchalantly looked around for his co-worker. He found them sitting in the third booth, on the right as the countre was to the left. Looking back to the man who still stood beside him, he smiled again and introduced himself, "You must be Logan? Je m'appelle Remy." He had mentally run down a list of things in his head not to do, say, think, while he was out. It was becoming hard to do, though, as he found the way Logan nervously smiled and nodded before stepping aside for Remy to pass, exciting.

As Logan followed Remy back to the booth, he noticed the rearview of the younger man. Remy was certainly tall and slender, and handsomely proportioned. Strong legs held up a well-toned torso with a cute auburn ponytail that slithered silkily down Remy's back. Black pants and black dress shirt made Remy look like he was just coming from work.

Remy stopped as they reached the booth. Turning back to Logan, he asked, "if you don' mind, I'd like de window seat?"

Interested in Remy new accent, Logan nodded and waited for the young man to slide in. He found himself smiling oddly as he sat down and glanced up at Deb, who smiled and leaned in to whisper encouragement.

Debbie just whispered, "You're doin' fine"
And I wish that I felt the same
She's asked me to dance, now her hand's in mine
Oh, my god, I've forgotten her name

"Did you get lost, around here, Remy?" Deb quickly moved to conversation after giving Logan a wink for luck.

Remy breathed and nodded nervously, "oui. Dere's alot of streets 'round here dat I have to remin' m'self dat I'm not back home."

Charles beat Logan to the question, as he introduced himself to the young man, after the waitress took their drink order, "where's home?"

"Nawlins."

Deb beamed. "I just love to hear Remy talk. He's made quite a following around the office, with his accent."

Logan did his best to include himself in the conversation but found that there were only nods, smiles, chuckles and "ohs" to be heard from him. Despite hearing the young man's name so much, Logan found himself lost in a dream, and having it turn into a nightmare as he couldn't remember the man's name.

But I'm gonna smile my best smile
And I'm gonna laugh like it's going out of style
Look into her eyes and pray that she don't see
That learning to live again is killing me

Logan couldn't help but let his mind drift to just he and Remy, dancing under tiny white lights that looked like fireflies stuck in mid air, in a ballroom with just the two of them in it. She shook himself back to the conversation as their food had arrived, and Charles laughed heartily at what Remy had to say about work that day.

It was a split second that Remy looked over and, by chance, caught Logan's eye. There was something Logan was hiding from him but he couldn't tell just what it was. He knew both of them were nervous, and both had obviously been hijacked into the blind date, but there was more to be said behind Logan's eyes. Something sad, and lonely but desperate to be adored and cared for.

After dinner, they stood in the parkinglot of the 1950s style diner and laughed at how ironic it was for Remy's small Geo Metro to refuse to start. Deb had insisted that Remy get a ride with them as they took Logan home, and rang for a tow truck for Remy's car.

"Non. De hotel's just down de way. Nice night out. I'll walk. 'Sides, ate too much." Remy chuckled and locked and shut the driver's side door.

Charles leaned on the roof of their car as he looked over at Remy and Logan, "you sure? We can call a cab?"

"Oui. Please, it's late. I'll be dere, tomorrow."

Logan was nudged in the ribs as he and Deb shared silent conversation together, making him ask "why don't I walk the kid home? I'll take a cab from there. No sense lettin him get lost, again." Turning to hug Deb and whisper a "we'll see" in her ear, he nodded toward Charles and thanked them both for dinner before waiting for Remy to say his goodbyes to them.

The walk back to the hotel where Remy was staying while he waited for his apartment lease to go through was about a 20 minute walk from the diner. Between the two places, Logan had plenty of time to trip over his tongue at the conversation the young man had struck up with him. If Remy had been nervous at all, he hid it well.

Now here we are beneath her porch light
And I say what a great time it's been
A kiss on the cheek, a whisper goodnight
And I say, "can I see you again"

They stopped under a side door's spotlight beam as Remy turned to as if Logan wanted to come up for a moment, and have a cup of coffee while he waited for a taxi.

Logan declined. "I'm just around the corner from you, actually. Loving Gale Estates. It's about another ten minute walk from here."

"Well," Remy took a daring step closer and pecked Logan on the cheek softly, "g'night, Logan."

Logan was shocked at the awkwardness he felt over the display of affection. Blushing and smiling nervously, he asked "can I see you again?"

And she just smiles her best smile
And she laughs like it's going out of style
Looks into my eyes and says, "We'll see"
Oh this learning to live again is killing me
God this learning to live again is killing me

Remy laughed throatily and blinked as his eyes met Logan's, "we'll see." Another 'goodnight' and the young man disappeared into the long corridor, leaving Logan to stand at the door and watch him go.

"Yea, we'll see."

 

End.