Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
304
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
9
Hits:
1,180

Dear Santa

Summary:

Nena has instructions for Santa.

Work Text:



Dear Santa—
by IrenaAdler

 

 

"Nena," Colby said, "Gabriel doesn't need a video game system for Christmas."

"Yes, he does!"

"He's just a baby. Are you sure this isn't for you?"

"Some," Nena admitted. "But really for him. What are you gonna do?"

Colby hesitated, since he and Charlie hadn't decided. "Maybe blocks, a toy xylophone, one of those balls that you stick shapes through the right holes."

Nena snorted derisively. "Those are for regular babies."

Colby eyed her. They'd already had this discussion. "Gabe might be a `regular' baby and that's just fine. We love him regardless. He doesn't have to be a genius."

"But he's going to be," Nena said firmly. "And he needs smart-baby games."

"He might be an athlete," Colby protested. "You never know." And with the egg donor being an Olympic athlete, he just might be.

"No, super smart," Nena insisted. "And do math really fast."

"Nena …" Colby said, but she was already off to the kitchen, probably to convince Grandpa Alan that Gabriel needed a video game system from Santa.

Leaning back on the couch, Colby tried to picture Gabriel as an athlete. Colby himself was a little guilty of expecting Gabriel to turn into a mini Charlie. It's the curls, he thought with a smile.

Well, he does have the genes to be an athlete, too. He pictured taking Gabriel to baseball or soccer and thought that he wouldn't mind that at all. Maybe he could even teach him to surf. Nena had been resistant to that so far.

Or maybe … he could turn out to be both! Colby imagined having to juggle swimming and volleyball with chess matches and math professors.

Colby groaned and closed his eyes, suddenly feeling overwhelmed. I hope Santa brings me track shoes, gas money, and an Eppes-worthy bucket-load of energy.

the end