Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Character:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
1,460
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
2
Kudos:
12
Bookmarks:
2
Hits:
1,581

Time Doesn't Stand Still

Summary:

Wasn't sure who was more surprised Nick or the person at the door

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:

Time Doesn't Stand Still
by Bj Jones

 

Nick grumbled as he heard the knock on the door, this time harder.  He grabbed a towel and wrapped it around his waist and stalked down the hallway.  He glared at the closed office door; obviously Gil was too wrapped up in some study to have heard the door.  It had better not be some salesman or God forbid the Avon Lady.  The knock was now close to pounding.

Nick ripped open the door and glared at the person. "What is your ...." He stopped and stared at the visitor.  *'Oh this isn't good.'*

"Nick?"

He tightened the towel around his waist and shifted uncomfortably.  "Sara...so this is awkward. I'll go get Gil."  He turned and fled the scene.  On the way back to the bedroom he stopped at the office and opened the door. "Gil."

"Nick, I'm really busy at the moment."

"Well you can get your head out of the books and go deal with Sara at our front door," Nick stated as he left the room.

"What?" Gil called after him getting out of his chair.  He looked down the hall to see Nick close their bedroom, and when he turned he saw Sara standing at the other end, looking at him with a shocked expression.  "Sara."

"Gil." She looked past him at their once bedroom.

"What brings you back to Vegas?" He asked, walking down the hall towards the kitchen.

"I wanted to see you." Sara shook her head and followed him.  "What is Nick doing here?"

"He moved in six months ago," Grissom answered her.  He saw no reason to hide his relationship with the man.  It had been three years since he had seen Sara, and he had moved on.

"You're in a relationship with him?" She asked, shocked, looking back towards the bedroom door.

"For the past year." He shrugged.

Nick walked back into the room, wearing simple jeans and a button down shirt. "Gil, I'm going to head in early to get some paperwork done." He stood at the edge of the kitchen and looked at the two occupants.  He wasn't quite sure how this was all going to play out, but one thing for certain, he
wasn't going to let Sara come back into Gil's life.  Though he also knew how much Gil loved his privacy and wasn't about to do any grandstanding.

Grissom smiled at him. "I'll see you later tonight."

"Can you make sure Baxter Jr. and Jackson get their treats?" Nick grinned he turned to leave then stopped. "Don't forget your medication..." He pointedly looked at the pill bottles. "If you do, I'm telling Catherine."

"That's blackmail."

"Yes it is."  He glanced over at Sara not sure what he should do. Gil stepped forward and pulled Nick into his arms, kissing him deeply. Nick sighed softly. "Love you."

Grissom kissed him again and then let him go.  Nick headed towards the garage, a smile on his face.  He opened the garage door and groaned.  Sara's car was parked behind his. "Great."  He switched out keys and took Gil's Tahoe.  As he pulled out of the driveway, he dialed Warrick's number.

*'This better be good, I'm trying to get some sleep.' *

"Sara showed up on our front door."

He could hear Warrick's pause. *'Damn...what are you going to do?'*

"Nothing." Nick shrugged.  "Gil is with me, and I trust him."

*  *

*'They have a history...' *

"Not helping man," he laughed.

*'I take it she knows about you and Gil?' *

"I opened the door in a towel." Nick shivered at the very awkward moment. "You can stop laughing."

*'Dude where are you?'* Warrick asked still snickering.

"On my way to work," he answered. "I need to finish up that paperwork from the last case."

"'I'll bring some food and meet you there.' *

"Rick, man...it's your day off." Nick shook his head.

*'Shut up man, I'll see you soon.'* Warrick hung up the phone.

~*~

Gil turned back to Sara. "How are you doing?"

"I'm in a bit of shock," she answered honestly.

"It's been three years," he pointed out. "Did you expect to come back and everything be as you left it?"

Sara frowned. "I didn't expect you to have hopped into bed with Stokes."

"You know the petty rivalry you've had with him over these years is getting a bit old." Grissom poured himself a cup of coffee and moved into the living room. "And I didn't jump into bed with him.  He was promoted last year to swing shift supervisor.  We started to talk more, and it was natural
progression."

"He's a supervisor?" She couldn't really see Stokes as a supervisor.  He was always to emotionally involved with the cases.

"He works with Warrick; both of them share the responsibility." Gil smiled behind his coffee cup. "You left three years ago, Sara.  I understood your need to go, but I wasn't going to wait around for you to decide to come back."

"I would have," Sara snapped.

Gil's eyebrow rose. "You left me with a Dear John letter."

"I love you."

He set the coffee cup down and took her hands. "And I loved you."

She leaned in and kissed him, running her hand through his hair.  She pulled back frowning.  Gil still hadn't moved.  "I'm sorry, Sara, but what we had was wonderful, and I do cherish those moments, but I've moved on."

"You weren't supposed to," she said as she moved away from him.

"Time doesn't stand still for those who live their lives."

 

*~ Lab ~ *

Gil leaned up against the door and looked at his lover. "Have I told you how hot you look in those glasses, reading the reports and looking all professional?"

"I'm not doing your reports for you." Nick glanced at him and went back to his reports.

"Sara's gone."

Nick took off his glasses and looked up at him. "That was fast."

"She realized that things aren't the way she left them." Gil stepped into the office and leaned against Nick's desk. "I'm with you."

"I'm sorry she was hurt, but I'm not sorry she's gone," he said, leaning back in his chair. "Even though I know you love me, she's always been a shadow lurking around."

"I never meant for her to be." Gil frowned.

"No, you didn't.  It was my shadow.  Afraid she would come back and you would leave me," he admitted.

"Why didn't you tell me?" Grissom asked softly.

"I didn't want to bring up old hurts for you, or sound like a pathetic jealous lover.  Though I have to admit of all ways for her to find out..."

"Answering the door in a towel, priceless.  I just wish I could have seen her and your expressions." Gil grinned. "I've got paperwork that Ecklie is demanding I turn in, so I'm going to head back to my dreary office and work on it... maybe I'll be done..."

"Stop with the guilt trip." Nick shook his head and leaned forward, grabbing a pen. "I'll stop by later.  You so owe me."

Gil glanced towards the door then leaned forward and kissed him. "I think we can make arrangements for payment."

Nick's eyes darkened in lust. "I do take payment plans..."

"Hey, this is my office too, no lovey dovey funny stuff."

Nick leaned back and looked at Warrick. "Coming from the guy who locked me out of 'our' office and amazingly, Catherine was nowhere to be found."

Rick smirked and dropped files on his desk. "Gris, my man, heard you had company this morning."

"Yes, and she's already left town." Gil stood up from his desk. "Though I'm not sure if she was more shocked I was sleeping with Nick or you two were running swing shift."

"Hell you should have told her you were doing both of us, and that's how we got the position." Warrick smirked as he sat down.

"I knew it!" Greg eyed the three of them.

"Good going there." Nick threw a pen at him.

"Greg, unless you want dumpster dives for the rest of your CSI life..." Gil pointedly looked at the younger man.

"Your dirty little threesome is safe with me." He grinned and ran off.

"I'll see you when you get home." Nick gave him a warm smile.

Gil's smile didn't leave his face all the way to his office.  He had to admit where he was at wasn't quite what he was expecting, but it was just what he needed.  He sat down and groaned when he saw the paper work, and wondered how much he could get Nick to do. He smirked and began to plot deviously.  There were advantages of having a young lover, who was really talented at paperwork.

 

end

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author Bj Jones.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.