Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 26 of McHale's Navy Deleted Scenes
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
651
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
15
Hits:
1,273

Deleted Scene: Little Red Riding Doctor

Summary:

scene set during "Little Red Riding Doctor"

Work Text:

Episode Summary:  During the town's anniversary festival, Binghamton schemes to have an Army Psychiatrist declare the 73 Crew unfit for duty. But, the town's new 'King Of The Festival' comes up with his own scheme, to keep his Crew together. -- from www.tv.com

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Carpenter did his nightly ritual of tucking Captain Binghamton in. He helped Binghamton sit up in bed. He handed Binghamton a sleeping pill and glass of water. “This will help you sleep, Sir.”

“You know how I hate taking pills,” Binghamton groused but downed it.

“I know, Sir, but doctor’s orders,” Carpenter replied and gently pushed him down on his back. He removed Binghamton’s glasses and pulled the covers up to his chin. He set the glasses on the nightstand well within reach. “There you are. All nice and snug, Sir.”

Binghamton sighed. “Oh, thank you, Carpenter. I really need a good night’s sleep. I need to be fresh to find some way of making that booby quack give McHale’s pirates a section eight.”

Carpenter held a picture of Mrs. Binghamton close to the Captain’s face so Binghamton could kiss her goodnight. “Oh, you will, Sir. There’s no one more devious and underhanded than you.”

“Good night, Pumpkin.” Binghamton shut his eyes and muttered, “That’s nice of you to say, dear boy.”

“Just let it go for now,” Carpenter said softly. “Do you have your Teddy?”

Binghamton was almost asleep. “Yes. Teddy’s the only one who understands me.”

Carpenter waited a moment longer to make sure that Binghamton was indeed asleep. He crept out of the room. He made his way down the steps to the cellar and into the homemade bomb shelter.

The lone lamp provided just enough light for him to see McHale dozing on the couch. McHale snored softly. He lay on his back, with his cap was pulled down over his face.

Carpenter knelt next to McHale’s head. He leaned in close to McHale’s ear. “Quint.”

McHale didn’t move.

“Quint,” Carpenter tried again.

“Lucky,” McHale rumbled, barely loud enough for Carpenter to hear. “Is Ol’ Leadbottom tucked in?”

Carpenter laughed, letting his hot breath ghost over McHale’s skin. “Sound asleep with Teddy.”

McHale chuckled. “Teddy. Chuck’s bear’s named Mr. Fluffy.”

Carpenter rested a hand over McHale’s heart. “The first time I saw Teddy, the Captain swore me to secrecy. He threatened to have me shot if anyone found out he sleeps with a teddy bear.”

“That sounds like him.”

Carpenter nuzzled the side of McHale’s throat. “I prefer my big bear.”

McHale tipped his cap up on his forehead. He smiled tiredly. “I’m beat, Lucky. Two straight days of night patrol.”

Carpenter spoke against McHale’s skin. “Yeah. That second morning you guys looked like a bunch of zombies. I tried to talk him out of sending you right back out again, but he wouldn’t listen. I was worried that you guys would run into a German U-boat.”

McHale yawned. “We were lucky it was quiet. Did he do it out of spite just cause the people voted me king during the town festival instead of him?”

“That and he was trying to convince that army psychiatrist that you and the crew are suffering from battle fatigue. He brought Lieutenant Pratt to your camp.”

“When? I don’t remember that.”

“When you guys got back from that last patrol,” Carpenter answered in between light kisses along McHale’s jaw.

McHale closed his eyes and ran a hand through Carpenter’s hair. “Oh, after we all collapsed from exhaustion.”

“Yeah. Pratt talked to Ensign Parker for a few minutes and said that you guys were just tired and in need of sleep.” Carpenter laid his head on McHale’s chest. “The Captain hit the roof when Pratt said he wasn’t gonna send you and your boys back to the states in that hospital ship.”

“Leadbottom gives us more trouble than the Germans.”

Carpenter laughed quietly and straightened up. “Come on.”

McHale sighed heavily. “You want me to move?”

“Just up to my bed.”

McHale looked at Carpenter and managed a grin. “Don’t just stand there. Help me up.”

Series this work belongs to: