Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 22 of McHale's Navy Deleted Scenes
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
473
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
4
Hits:
1,223

Deleted Scene: The Bathtub Thief

Summary:

scene from ep "The Bathtub Thief"

Work Text:

Episode Summary:  Away from the base against orders, and trapped behind enemy lines, McHale, Parker, Gruber, and Tinker pose as an Italian family, to evade a German patrol, which, in turn, captures Binghamton and Carpenter, while on their way back to the base, after stealing a bathtub. -- from www.tv.com

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

McHale slipped into the secret room and found Carpenter lounging on that old, lumpy couch. A lone lamp cast a soft glow through the room. There was an open bottle of wine on the stand next to Carpenter.

McHale pulled the door shut behind him. He smiled. “Rough day?”

Carpenter grabbed the bottle and took a lazy drink. A little dribbled down his chin. He eyed McHale and licked wine from his lips. “I had to hear about that bubble bath all day.”

McHale laughed. “You should’ve seen it. Old Leadbottom riding that bathtub down the street and then crashing into Major Harrigan’s jeep.”

Carpenter snickered. He waved McHale over and sat up just enough to let McHale sit down. He put his head back down in McHale’s lap. He arched his eyebrows. “Don’t forget his zebra striped swim trunks.”

McHale laughed again and hugged Carpenter tightly. “A sight I’ll never forget. I don’t think Harrigan will either. How did it happen?”

“He got that bubble bath in my eyes. I couldn’t see and I accidentally sent the bathtub rolling…” Carpenter’s voice trailed off as he smiled sheepishly.

“Out the office and out into the street,” McHale finished.

Carpenter kissed McHale’s jaw. “Yeah. As soon as I could see again, I ran after him, but by then it was too late.”

McHale turned his head to kiss Carpenter softly. He straightened back up and ran his fingers back and forth through Carpenter’s hair. “The boys have started calling him Bubbles.”

Carpenter grinned and leaned into the touch. “Bubbles.”

“Which do you think is worse? Bubbles or Old Leadbottom?”

“I don’t know, but he’s used to Leadbottom. Somehow I think the name Bubbles will get around the whole town in record time.”

McHale shot Carpenter a look of exaggerated innocence. “I don’t know how. My boys know how to keep their mouths shut.”

Carpenter stared at McHale for a long moment. “Quint.”

McHale’s mouth barely twitched. “They are the soul of discretion.”

Carpenter snorted in disbelief. “Quint.”

McHale couldn’t keep the grin off his face any longer. “Okay, maybe not.” He took the bottle from its resting place on Carpenter’s stomach and peered at the label. “Any good?”

Carpenter rubbed his eyes and covered his mouth to hide a yawn. “Yeah. Whoever made it sure knew what he was doing.”

McHale took a quick swig. He rolled the wine around in his mouth. He whistled quietly. “Nice.”

Carpenter yawned again and turned his face towards McHale’s stomach. “Can you stay awhile?” he mumbled.

McHale leaned down and kissed Carpenter’s temple. “Yeah. Get some sleep.” He let Carpenter doze lightly, put his head back, and shut his eyes.

Series this work belongs to: