Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
1,336
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
7
Hits:
1,249

Just A Kiss

Summary:

It’s always a kiss…

Work Text:

Just a Kiss
by Sam-Tony

 

The moment his lips touched Penny’s, he knew.  Or rather, he didn’t know, because before they could really touch, there was a sharp electric shock that jumped from his lips to hers that sent him flying backwards to land crumpled against the wall and Penny, whom Jersey had sorrowfully told him was dead, began to move.
 
Buckaroo ignored the sinuous stretch and the sheets that dropped to reveal the long, smooth legs, his mind too caught up in the sudden implications that - if only the sheer possibility of a kiss could rouse Penny from the cold clutches of death…what could a completed kiss accomplish?
 
Careening from his bedroom in the back, Buckaroo barreled through the command center set up further toward the front to jump from the top step of the charter bus.  His first thought was for Perfect Tommy and his eyes immediately began searching for the white-blond head.  Spotting the bright curls, Buckaroo took off toward the jet car, long strides eating up the distance as he barked out, “Tommy!  With me!”
 
He couldn’t take the time to answer the startled confusion in the dark eyes as the other‘s head jerked up sharply, he was too afraid there wasn’t enough time; afraid they had wasted too much already.  But, despite the uncertainty, Buckaroo felt a small flutter of pride as Tommy automatically fell into step beside him, dark eyes spilling over with the questions he wanted to ask but willing to wait until later.
 
It was only when they got to the car that Tommy glanced between Buckaroo and Scooter, already belted and buckled in the backseat, and protested weakly,  “Buckaroo, I thought you promised Scooter a ride…”
 
“I did.”  he slid into the driver’s seat, sparing the boy a glance in the mirror.  “You all buckled up there, sport?”
 
“You bet, Buckaroo!”
 
“Good.”
 
“Buckaroo?”
 
Initiating the startup sequence, Buckaroo looked over at Tommy, the younger man clicking the last buckle into place as he automatically adjusted for the shotgun he had grabbed when Buckaroo had called him up.  “What’s going on?”
 
“You’ll get your ride, Scooter,”  he promised, flipping the last switch and speeding out into traffic.  
 
After all, he had been the one to find the over thruster, and as such, the boy deserved a reward.  Besides, for a vehicle that had broken the sound barrier relatively intact, the trip would be no problem, even at the increased speeds Buckaroo would be pushing on the public streets.  They would all be perfectly fine in the ‘jet.
 
“It’ll just be a little faster than originally planned.”
 
---
 
The wing that housed the crews personal quarters was quiet, since the whole of the HKC and their local Irregulars had spilled out of the HQ buzzing like a hive of angry bees at the death of one of their own.  Chaos and outraged fury had given way to silence and the only sounds that broke that silence now were the sharp clicks of their shoes as he and Tommy ran down the polished hallways to Rawhide’s rooms.
 
They had lain him there after John Parker had pulled the organic Lectroid star weapon from his back; after Rawhide had died from the poison, clinging to Buckaroo, blue eyes locking with his as he shuddered through his last breath…
 
Poison, he was hoping, like that which had killed Penny Priddy.
 
If only they weren’t already too late…
 
---
 
Breaking through his door, two steps behind Buckaroo, Tommy stopped suddenly; only just now realizing where they were.  The small part of his mind not frozen in grief identified Scooter at his back, blocked only by his body, and Tommy made a belated move to keep the boy from following Buckaroo inside.
 
*He* didn’t want to follow Buckaroo inside.  The grief, the loss, it was still all too much; too new…
 
He didn’t realize he *had* moved or that his steps had taken him ‘round to the foot of the bed until he realized that Buckaroo wasn’t checking on Rawhide - he was *kissing* him - and that Rawhide was not only alive, but kissing him back.  In fact, he was so lost in that kiss, in the way Buckaroo leaned over him, in the way Rawhide now had one arm raised, the hand tangled in the dark hair…in the way their lips clung together, soft and natural, and everything he wanted himself…that it took Jersey’s reverently whispered “Holy cow” to make him realize that, not only had the others caught up with them, but they had been standing in the open doorway crowded behind Scooter while Tommy stood there staring like an idiot.
 
That was when the kiss ended, both men smiling as Rawhide chuckled,  “Caught up to you, did they?“
 
“Apparently.“
 
“Bad guys all taken care of?“
 
“Yep.  They should be finding bits of Whorfin’s spaceship from now until Christmas,“  Buckaroo agreed.
 
“Good.“  Rawhide didn’t bother looking in his direction as he held out a hand.  “C’mere Tommy.”
 
Tommy didn’t know what was more bizarre - feeling that solid hand warm in his…
 
…or feeling the equally warm lips brushing against his as that hand pulled him down so that Rawhide could reach him without having to move.  Buckaroo’s chuckle and the rest of the boys whoops of joy and muttered opinions of ‘it’s about time’ were heard but only as background noise as Rawhide pulled back far enough to search his eyes.  “Okay?”
 
His voice felt rusty and out of use as he opened his mouth to respond, licking his lips as he smiled.  “I - yeah I - Buckaroo?”
 
Suddenly unsure, Tommy looked over at Buckaroo, just in time to have his lips possessed in another kiss, this one from Buckaroo as the older man shifted over just enough not to lean on the prone body under them.
 
“That answer your question, Tommy?”
 
Opening eyes he hadn’t known he had closed, Tommy smiled again, his one wider as he realized he just might be getting everything he wanted after all.  “Yes - or well, no, but that doesn’t matter.  Just tell me he’s stayin’ and that we’ll be doin’ more of that with less of an audience?”
 
“Absolutely,”  Jersey piped up from the door, now trying to shoo everyone out and down the hall, not one of the grown men grinning like schoolboys paying the least bit of attention to his gentle herding until Reno whistled, shrill and loud.  “Off with you, all of you.  Man needs his rest.”
 
“Ah thank you.”  Jersey drawled, rolling his eyes at the grumbling and shuffling that could be heard moving slowly off down the hallway.  Offering them a smile and the promise he would check on them later, Jersey turned and followed them, closing the door behind him.
 
“I should go check out the garage,”  Rawhide said.  “Try to find out where the aliens broke though our defenses.”
 
“You will do no such thing,”  Tommy protested.  “You heard Jersey - you need your rest.”
 
“Reno, actually…”
 
“Don’t you be sassin’ me boy,” Rawhide glared, making a half-hearted effort to get out of bed.  “I’m fine.”
 
“You were dead,” Buckaroo admonished.  “Tommy’s right.  You should rest.”
 
Seeing he wasn‘t going to get out of bed with both Buckaroo and Tommy hemming him in on both sides, Rawhide reluctantly settled back down with a resigned huff.  “Fine.  Least tell me I ain’t the only one takin’ a nap?”
 
“Oh I think a nap is definitely in order, don’t you?”  Buckaroo looked at him and Tommy found himself nodding...and suddenly about ready to drop.  “Scoot over, Rawhide.”
 
Getting themselves settled, Tommy found himself in the middle and felt he should protest; after all it had been Buckaroo who had brought Rawhide back, shouldn’t he be the one closest to him when they slept?
 
Before he could voice his protest, he felt a hand slip in his hair to cup his head gently, holding him down against the rough cotton of Rawhide’s shirt as Buckaroo’s arm’s wound around him from behind, voice chuckling softly in his ear telling him to sleep.
 
He didn’t even wake when Jersey poked his head in about an hour later to check up on them, or when he just as quietly eased back out.
 

End