Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
389
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
10
Hits:
970

I Still Love You

Summary:

Can Scott find the right words to reassure his wife when she blames herself for their hiatus from the team?

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:

I Still Love You
by Pirate Turner

 

        The door opened and closed, and Scott Summers walked into the room. "Morning, honey." He stopped in his tracks when he saw the dark rings under his wife's eyes and her tangled mess of flaming, red hair. His voice was gentle and full of concern as he asked, "How long have you been up, sweetheart?"

        "I couldn't sleep," Jean told him. She didn't look at him but stared straight at the blank television that sat silently in the front of the room. Scott knew instantly what was bothering his love, but before he could say or do anything, a single tear ran down her cheek. "I'm sorry, Scott."

        Scott was by her side in a flash. He took her into his arms, and she buried her face in his shoulder, her tears soaking his sweater. "It's okay, Jean," he whispered into her ear. "It's not your fault."

        Jean pulled away and gave Scott a Look. "Isn't it, though? We're having to stay here so I can get my act together. You're having to put your dreams for the team on hold, because I lost my powers!"

        Scott gently wiped away her tears with his thumb. His eyes were hidden by his ruby quartz glasses as they searched the green eyes of his love. "Jean, I love you -- powers or no powers. The team is nothing to me without you by my side. I wouldn't have the guts to lead it without you backing me up. I'd be long dead by now if it wasn't for you. I don't love you because of Phoenix or even Marvel Girl. I love you as Phoenix and loved you as Marvel Girl, true, but I love you ever so much more for being you -- the woman behind the mask, Jean Grey-Summers, my wife, and the love of my life from the first moment I set eyes on you."

        A slow smile appeared between Jean's tears as Scott told her what was in his heart. "Oh, Scott!"

        She started to say more, but Scott hushed her as he gave her a gentle, loving kiss whose passion swiftly grew until it could have melted all the ice in the Arctic. What followed next was so beautiful that I could never do it justice in mere words.

The End

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author Pirate Turner.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.