Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
644
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
15
Hits:
1,823

The Act

Summary:

Gage witnesses Syd do something -- something that she swears him to secrecy over.

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:

The Act
by Pirate Turner

 

        A silence that was so loud that it was almost tangible filled the Texas Rangers Headquarters as two Rangers, their heads bent, scribbled away at their paperwork. The man sighed, causing the woman's brown eyes to lift in a glance. As her eyes lifted, however, they were not met with his handsome face but rather two tiny beady eyes. Her breath caught in her throat, and her heart froze as she stared at the tiny animal. Its dark eyes darted wildly around before it began to scamper forward.

        A scream broke from Sydney's lips as she jumped into her chair. Startled, Gage dropped his pen and leapt to his feet, his eyes swiftly scanning the room. "What?" he asked, fear and concern etched over his face. "What is it, Syd?"

        The animal scurried back into its hiding place beneath Gage's desk, and Sydney jumped from her chair to the top of her desk, her round eyes still looking down at the bottom of her partner's desk in sheer horror. "Syd?" Gage asked again, his brow creasing with his worry.

        Sydney's attention finally returned to Gage, her long, brown hair whipping around her beautiful face as her head snapped to attention. Realizing that he had just witnessed her behavior, a dark crimson settled over her face as she turned and jumped down. She silently retook her seat and turned back to her paperwork.

        Sydney had barely scribbled a few more lines when Gage suddenly placed both hands on either side of the front of her desk. "Syd," he asked, his voice low and even, "you just saw a mouse, didn't you?"

        She did not dare to look up at him as she filled in another column. "What makes you think that, Gage?"

        "Syd, I saw what you did," he reminded her solemnly though a grin was pulling at the corners of his lips, "how you acted."

        Still not looking at him, Sydney laid her pen down. "Gage," she spoke firmly, "whatever you just saw or think you saw will remain between us." She rose slowly to her feet and leaned over her desk to lower her head and look directly into his eyes with barely an inch between their faces. "If I have any reason to even think that you might have just so much as hinted about any of this to Walker, Trivette, Alex, or any of the others, I will make you regret it for the rest of your days." She quirked an eyebrow at him. "Understood?"

        Despite his beloved's firm, hard tone, Gage couldn't help but to grin. "You sure are beautiful, you know?" he asked her as he started to lean forward quickly, hoping to be able to gain her lips with his. He was not quick enough, however, as Sydney pulled back out of his reach just before his lips could touch hers, turned, and stalked away. Gage barely caught himself before he would have fallen onto her desk.

        He waited until she had left the room before turning back around and walking back to his desk. He sat down before reaching over and pulling out his bottom drawer. Looking down into the deep drawer, he grinned at the mouse. "I might keep you around after all, little buddy," he told him as he fetched a tiny piece of cheese from his pocket and dropped it into the drawer. "Just keep messing with her and leaving my papers alone, and we won't have any problem." He grinned, then quickly shut the drawer and returned to his paperwork as he heard Sydney returning. Gage watched her from beneath his eyelids as she walked back into the room, retook her seat, and returned to her work without making a single sound. He grinned to himself as he continued his own stack of seemingly never-ending paperwork.

The End

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author Pirate Turner.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.