Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Relationship:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
355
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
14
Hits:
1,622

Emotional Computations

Summary:

Some things Brainy can use a computer to figure out. Lyle isn’t one of those things.

Work Text:

Emotional Computations

 

 

 

ERROR. DOES NOT COMPUTE.

Brainy’s eyes narrowed at the blinking box on his computer screen that displayed the sum of his calculations. “This makes no logical sense,” he muttered.

 

“What doesn’t?” Lyle asked, without even looking up from his workstation across the room.

 

Brainiac 5 froze for all of two point three seconds. “I’m trying to design a logarithm that will predict human emotion,” he answered vaguely. It wasn’t entirely the truth, but it was close enough to pass muster.

 

He hoped. Lyle was too intelligent for Querl’s own peace of mind.

 

Lyle snorted, shooting him a grin before going back to his own calculations. “Good luck with that, Brainy; it’s about as possible as creating a perpetual motion machine or curing the common cold.”

 

Brainy frowned, but did not deign to reply. His colleague was seemingly right after all. With a subvocal sigh, he turned back to his calculations.

 

No matter what date he input, or how fuzzy he made his logic, the computer always gave him the answer he’d been both hoping for and dreading since the day he realized what this strange lack of annoyance he felt towards one Lyle Norg was.

 

The computer had informed him that he was in love with Lyle. Which he’d figured out on his own, thank you very much.

 

The only thing the computer couldn’t tell Querl was if Lyle was in love with him. Which, being that it was only the reverse of his previous query, should definitely be within the computer’s capabilities.

 

Even if Human emotion was different from Coluan emotion, and vastly so.

 

Sighing, Brainy saved his final results, and moved on to another project, only needing to devote a small portion of his mind to the task of upgrading the Legion’s security network. The rest of his mind he set to work on a plan to resolve his current problem. Querl decided that if he couldn’t figure out the answer to his question using pure logic, then he would just have to logically figure out the best way to ask Lyle himself.

 

Emotions were so tedious, but some things just couldn’t be computed.