Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 4 of Alterna ‘Verse
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
985
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
10
Hits:
1,551

Alterna ‘Verse - Time Moves On

Summary:

Nick and Gil get closer

Work Text:

Time Moves On
by Heather Exhume

 

Gil’s life had changed so much in the last 2 weeks. Before when he would spend all his free hours working, thinking about work, or reading up on things so he would be better at work, now he did all those things…just in a lesser degree. He now spent much of his free hours with Nick. Nick just kept showing up. Just appearing in his life and Gil liked it like that. Nick had opened up activities to Gil that he had never thought of as ‘date’ material, but after staring at Nick’s ass moving under his hiking shorts for 2 hours…well he would never be able to think of those mountains again without smiling. Nick had just shown up after his work wearing hiking shorts and smile. They had spent the morning hiking in the hills until Grissom thought he might just have to tackle Nick to the ground and get frisky. Eventually Nick stopped at the top of this beautiful hill that over looked an entire valley. It had been breathtaking. Gil had known from the peaceful look on Nick’s face that he had been here before, Gil was happy that Nick was comfortable enough to share it with him as well. They had eaten the fruit and cheese that Nick had brought and then had sex with the sun shining down on them. The walk back had been filled with a comfortable silence.

It had begun to bother Gil that Nick only took him to places were touching was deemed acceptable or no one was around to see them. Was Nick embarrassed to be seen with him? Was this just some long fling? For all Grissom really knew Nick was married and leading a double life, although that didn’t seem like something Nick was capable of doing…but he had proven to be an actor of a phenomenal caliber. Gil was brought out of his thoughts by the sound of Nick’s voice. “Are you gonna get in the car or what?”

Gil shook himself out of his reverie and slid in beside Nick. “Why don’t we ever do anything traditional, like dinner and a movie?”

Nick shrugged, “I dunno, do you want to? I can change my plans.” Nick made a sharp turn right, Gil could tell it wasn’t planned.

“Whoa. Where are you going?”

“Just hold on a sec,” Nick pulled out his cell phone and dialed one-handed. “Hey. Mary. Yeah, no. Could I? Yeah, no, yeah. Not long. Sure it’s no bother? Good, good, thanks Mary. Yeah I owe you one.”

They drove in silence for almost twenty minutes until they reached an older movie theater. “What is this place?”

“This? This is an old movie joint owned by a friend, she’s been kind enough to let us use it. It’s a shame that it’s going to be torn down soon.”

“What movie are we watching?”

“Does it matter? The reason why people on dates go to movie theaters is to make out.”

“Good point.”

It ended up being a Native American movie called Smoke Signals, Nick spent half the movie laughing about jokes that Gil didn’t get. The other half of the time was spent as Nick predicted.

Afterwards they went to Huddle House for breakfast. Nick was digging into a stack of pancakes when Grissom asked, “how serious is our relationship?”

Nick chewed slowly, “what do you mean?”

Gil hesitated, “is this just a fling, are you even out to your co-workers?”

“Are you? Seriously Gil. I may not have announced to the world that I’m bi but I don’t hide it, and I thought we were quite serious. But this does bring up something important that I need to talk to you about. I have a new assignment coming up. We won’t be able to see each other until after I’ve finished. It could last months.”

“You say we’re serious but we never do anything as a couple in public and now you say you’re gonna be gone for months?”

Nick studied Gil closely. “I don’t think I’m the one you have a problem with Gil. Maybe this time will be good for both of us. I think you need to make some decisions about you’re life, and my place in it.” Nick pulled some money out of his wallet and placed it on the table. Then he leaned forward and pulled Gil into a brain melting kiss. All Gil could think was that Nick tasted like maple syrup. Nick tilted his head and whispered in Gil’s ear, “I’ll be thinking about you.” Then Nick sauntered out leaving Gil stunned.

Gil found himself staring out into space at work the next day. He couldn’t seem to focus on anything. Catherine found him like that and had to wonder what was going on. “Grissom?” Gil jumped in his seat startled.

“What?”

“You were just staring off into space, what’s going on?”

Gil debated with himself on whether he should tell Catherine about Nick. “I’m seeing someone,” he finally said.

Catherine’s jaw dropped, she quickly pulled herself together, “and the problem is?”

“I don’t know how serious it is, but we’re going to be apart for awhile due to work, and I can’t help wondering if it’s something more. I mean it started out as one night stand, and just blended into more. Now I’m not sure what I feel.” Gil hesitated, “I’m afraid.”

“Afraid of what? Getting into a serious relationship? Gil your life is your work and it’s always been that way. You’re scared of opening up to another person. Even if things don’t work out between you and least you can say you tried. Besides,” Catherine grinned ruefully, “even the worst relationships have their pluses, I don’t know what’d I do with out Lindsey.”

Something just clicked in Gil’s head. “You’re right Catherine. I need to take a chance. Thank you.” Gil turned back to his neglected work, sure now what he was going to say to Nick when they saw each other again.


Webpage: http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/butterflywings

Series this work belongs to: