Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Relationship:
Characters:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
572
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
12
Hits:
1,431

Envy

Summary:

Mickey's mind wanders.

Work Text:

Mickey sat at the bar, waiting for the others. Eddie was hiding so as not to be conned again, so it was a rare moment alone. He heard laughter from one of the booths and glanced at a young couple holding hands across the table. The boyfriend kissed his bird’s hand.

Mickey smiled at the tender gesture. He suddenly felt like he was intruding and stared into his glass of orange juice. He sighed heavily and remembered a time when all he wanted was to hold Rachel’s hand. Too bad things couldn’t have stayed that simple between them.

Ash would never believe it, but Mickey really did envy him. Mickey would never forget what Ash said the day he married June. “Just because we do what we do, doesn’t mean we have to be lonely.”

Mickey had been so proud of them that day. He still was. Even though they were divorced, they still cared about each other. Ash would take care of her till her dying day.

Mickey tried the marriage thing. He genuinely loved Rachel, but he’d never really been completely honest with her. He let them both think that she could change him. When she realized that he would always be a grifter, she wanted out. She wanted the normal husband, with a boring job and home every night by six, two or three kids, and a dog. He couldn’t really blame her. If one didn’t live the life, it was hard to appreciate the art of it.

Now, Ash had Danny. Mickey was suspicious at first because Ash didn’t give himself easily (There would never be another woman besides June.) and Danny seemed too flighty. His first gut reaction was to wring Danny’s neck but he was not a violent man. He started paying attention. Danny still flirted with anything that moved but he never went beyond that. There was also something special in Danny’s expression when he looked at Ash when he thought no one was watching.

If Danny wasn’t in love with Ash, he was damn close. Mickey wondered if Danny realized it. He smirked and shook his head. “Probably not,” he muttered. “And I don’t think I’ll enlighten him. He’s a hot shot. Let him figure it out on his own.” He bared his teeth. “I hope I’m there to see the look of terror on his face.”

The rest of the crew came into the bar, chattering amongst themselves. Ash and Danny brought up the rear. Danny was last, with his hands on Ash’s shoulders and speaking in his ear.

“Hey, Mickey.” Stacie slid onto the stool next to Mickey. She peered at his face and lowered her voice. “You all right?”

Mickey saw the wicked smile cross Ash’s face. He firmly decided that he didn’t want to know. He laughed quietly and focused on her. “Yeah.”

Albert made his way behind the bar. He took the most expensive bottle of scotch off the shelf. He produced five glasses. “Since Eddie’s left us to our own devices…”

“Then it’s his own fault,” Ash finished. He playfully shoved Danny away and took the stool on Stacie’s other side. He looked to Mickey. “Are we all set?”

Danny was on Mickey’s other side. He wrapped an arm around Mickey’s neck and arched his eyebrows at Ash. “Of course we are, Ash. This is the master.”

Mickey laughed. He didn’t have Rachel, but he wasn’t lonely. This was his family. “Thanks for that vote of confidence, Danny. Yes, we’re ready.”