Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Categories:
Fandom:
Relationships:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
354
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
2
Kudos:
10
Hits:
1,655

Too Late

Summary:

Stephen wonders if he's left it too late

Work Text:

Too Late
by PEJA

 

Stephen shook his head. How could he have been such a fool? Why had he kept Helen's secrets? And his?

It could have all been prevented if he'd just opened his damn mouth and told Nick that she'd been visiting him secretly. Just keep his damn pants on when she crept into his bed. Sent her back to her own room.

Stupid. So damn stupid.

Helen had always held some magical kind of hold on him. Just the sight of her made him do things he knew would someday destroy him.

That day had come today.

When Nick had caught them in what had to appear like a passionate lip lock. What Nick didn't know, what Stephen had been to stunned to say, was that Helen had suddenly jumped across the room and plastered herself into his lap, her lips devouring his. He had been so shocked by her behavior he'd not heard Nick walk into the room.

He had, however, heard his outraged, "What the fu...?"

At the sound of his lover's voice, Stephen had bolted to his feet, sending a smirking Helen to the floor, none to gently.

"How long has this been going on?" Nick had demanded, his blue eyes brilliant with the sheen of tears.

"When did it ever stop?" Helen quipped.

"She's lying, Nick.." Stephen rasped, raking trembling fingers through his hair. "It's not what it looks like."

"It looks like you've been playing me for a fool, Stephen."

"No..."

But Nick wasn't ready to hear denials of what his eyes had seen. He turned on his heel and was gone, leaving Stephen to whirl on Helen as she slithered to her feet, still wearing that triumphant smirk.

"Why?"

Helen laughed, heading for the door and throwing over her shoulder. "Maybe I wanted a little bit back on the both of you."

And she was gone as well.

Stephen wrapped his arms around his waist and huddled on the floor, rocking back and forth with the pain wracking him.

He was too late coming to what he really wanted.

Always too late.

end

Email: makebelievearchive@gmail.com
Author's websites: http://peja1956.livejournal.com and http://www.squidge.org/~peja/cgi-bin/search.php?action=recent