Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Characters:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
550
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
10
Hits:
1,481

Elevator

Summary:

The muses have a discussion about their latest prompt.

Work Text:

Danny, Ash, Stacie, Albert, and Billy crowded in the booth at Eddie’s bar. Danny and Ash were on one side, Stacie and Albert the other, while Billy pulled a chair up to the end of the table. Billy rubbed his chin and was the first one to break the silence. “It’s not one of the better ones is it.”

Stacie gave a small smile. “I wouldn’t call it one of the worst either.”

Albert shrugged and drew a pack of cards from his pocket. “Still, it is rather dull.”

Danny leaned back and put an arm across the back of the bench, behind Ash. He absently brushed his fingers across the warm black leather covering Ash’s shoulder. He thought for a moment. He tilted his head to the side. “There’s only so much you can do with it.”

Albert shuffled and started dealing the cards for a round of five card draw. He clicked his tongue between his teeth. “The problem is that it’s not that inspiring. Where’s the challenge?”

Stacie nodded. “We’re missing where the twist would come in.”

“But what kind of twist could we possibly have?” Billy asked.

Ash was quiet, taking in the conversation. He took his tobacco pouch out of his pocket. He slowly rolled a cigarette.

Danny nudged him. “Well, what do you think?”

Ash stuck the cigarette between his lips and lit it. “I think you guys are right.”

Danny pressed their knees together under the table. He looked at the others hopefully. “Come on. We’re supposed to be the best. Anyone have any bright ideas?”

Stacie smirked. “You are the leader.”

“And I’m willing to admit that this one’s got me. I’ve been thinking about it since yesterday and nothing.”

Eddie came over with a tray of drinks. He grinned and teased, “Maybe these will help grease the wheels.”

Ash set a lager in front of Danny. He blew smoke out through his nose and left his cigarette in the ashtray. “Well, what’s your brilliant plan, Eddie?”

Eddie laughed. He bounced on the balls of his feet, absurdly pleased that they were stumped. “I don’t got one, but I’m just a humble barkeep. I’m not one of the great grifters.” Before anyone could respond, he walked away, whistling under his breath.

Billy watched Eddie over his shoulder. “He’s enjoying this far too much.”

Stacie chuckled. “We usually get the better of him. Let him have his moment to gloat.”

“Yeah, he won’t get another one,” Albert agreed dryly.

Danny took a sip and put the glass down. “Back to the matter at hand.”

Ash sighed. “I’m just not sure what we’re supposed to do with a prompt like elevator.” He picked his cards up and studied his hand. He pressed his leg harder against Danny’s. He didn’t face Danny and one end of his mouth quirked up. “Besides, the obvious.”

Danny grinned. “Well….” He took a deep breath and shook his head. “It’s been done.”

Albert tried to sound wise but there was a glint in his eyes. “Sometimes, the tried and true is the best.”

Ash arched an eyebrow at him. “You just want to watch.”

Danny shuddered. “Not again. Sorry, Albert. Besides, we’re better than that.” He looked up. “Sorry Python, my luv. We’re drawing a blank with this one.”