Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Relationships:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
3,491
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
1
Kudos:
5
Hits:
1,206

Lennie's New Guy

Summary:

Someone out of Lennie's past arrives
Pairing: implied Briscoe/McCoy, Briscoe/OMC
Disclaimer: Shale is the only one that belongs to me. The rest of these guys don't. I'm not making any money off them.
any feedback is appreciated

Work Text:

Lennie's New Guy
by Python

Detective Lennie Briscoe sat at his desk. He looked up when he felt a presence behind him. He gave a small smile when he heard light humming and glanced at his partner, Ed Green. Ed was staring at a spot past his left shoulder. "Hey, Ed, tell me, is there a guy about six and a half feet tall with a bushy mustache that could've been sandy brown but's now gray?"

"Yeah, you know him?"

Lennie chuckled and shook his head. "No."

"Not know me? I'm offended, Lieutenant," the big man said in an English accent.

"Lieutenant?" Ed repeated.

Lennie sat back in his chair but still didn't look behind him. He motioned with his pen. "Ed, meet Colonel Shale Tiernan of Her Majesty's Armed Forces."

"Really?"

"Yeah, we met over thirty years ago while I was still in the service."

Shale held out his hand. When Ed took it, he said, "Lennie's got it mostly right but I'm retired now."

"When did that happen?" Lennie asked, finally turning and making eye contact with Shale.

"A couple of months ago. I didn't have time to write you about it," Shale answered.

"Or about this visit."

"I wanted it to be a surprise," Shale replied with a big grin.

Lennie laughed. "Oh, it is."

Ed saw Lieutenant Anita Van Buren open the door to her office and motion for them. "L-T wants to see us."

"Okay," Lennie said. He stood to be face-to-face with Shale. "Duty calls."

"Perfectly all right," Shale said and gave Lennie a card. "This is where I'm staying and I expect you to pay for dinner." Then, he turned on his heel and left.

"What was that all about?" Ed whispered when Shale was out of ear shot.

"Just an old friend," Lennie answered and looked over at Anita, who had her arms crossed. "Come on, she's waiting."

*

Later that night, Lennie knocked at Shale's hotel room door. Shale opened it and gave him a big smile. He couldn't help but return it. "Hey, Shale."

"Lennie, my friend, come on in. I'm almost ready to go," Shale said.

"Take your time." Lennie walked in and Shale disappeared into the bathroom. "So, what brings you to New York?" he called.

"I'm working with a private securities firm now. They sent me," Shale called back.

He came back into the main room. "What does that smile mean?" he asked when he saw Lennie.

"You just haven't changed much. You're still tall and lean and act bigger than life."

"Yes, but I have more wrinkles and gray hair, but that doesn't really bother me. I consider them badges of honor for all of my years of service," Shale said proudly and circled Lennie. "The years haven't been bad to you either."

"You're either blind or full of shit."

"I may be the latter, but right now, I'm being serious," Shale answered.

He was only a few inches from Lennie. He gently cupped Lennie's face and leaned in to softly brush their lips together.

Lennie didn't move as Shale gave him a soft, sweet, and short kiss. Then Shale pulled away and grinned at him again.

"So, where are we eating?"

Lennie cleared his throat. "What are you in the mood for?"

"Nothing in particular, just some place that has a bar with imported scotch. American versions have too much water."

"I should be able to come up with something."

*

A couple hours later, after they were done eating, Shale went back to the bar. He noticed all of the young women. He winked at Lennie and began trading stories with the bartender, who turned out to be a former Navy Seal.

Lennie knew that both men were exaggerating to impress the ladies. The women were eating it up. He chuckled and just watched. He tensed when someone sat next to him. "Counselor, what a surprise."

"Detective," Jack McCoy said. He followed Lennie's gaze to Shale at the bar. "Are you here with that loud mouth?"

Lennie eyed Jack and nodded. "We're old friends."

"Really?" Jack asked incredulously.

Lennie sighed. "Shale and I met while I was in the army. We've been friends ever since through various divorces and addictions."

"Sounds like a great guy," Jack said with thinly veiled sarcasm.

"He is."

Jack wanted to ask if the two of them had been lovers but the look in Lennie's eyes gave him the answer and he didn't like it. Besides jealous, he was instantly suspicious of the Englishman.

"So, who are you here with?" Lennie asked politely, breaking into Jack's thoughts.

"What makes you think I'm here with anyone?"

"Because you're never out alone," Lennie answered simply. He'd accepted Jack's busy social life as a sad fact. Jack had never been able to commit to him.

Jack knew it was futile to try and lie. "Her name's Andrea. She just joined the DA's office a month ago."

"You don't waste any time do you?" Lennie asked, masking most but not all of his bitterness.

Before Jack could respond, Shale came back to the table. "Sorry, I just couldn't resist," he said, pointing back to the bar. Then his eyes fell on Jack.

"Shale Tiernan, this is Jack McCoy," Lennie said.

Shale quickly took in Jack's appearance and manner and took an instant dislike to him. He read Jack's jealousy easily but held out his hand. Jack shook it. "It's a pleasure."

"Same here," Jack grumbled insincerely.

Shale shifted his attention to Lennie. "I've got to use the washroom and then I'll be ready to leave."

Lennie nodded. "Okay."

"You can't leave with him," Jack stated when Shale was gone.

"Why not? I came here with him," Lennie answered lightly.

Lennie's apparent flippancy didn't help Jack's mood. "Are you gonna sleep with him?" he demanded.

Lennie really hadn't decided but Jack's tone of voice kindled his temper.

"I don't even want to go into how many ways that that is none of your business. You've said it yourself, Jack. We have an on-and-off thing and we've been off for a long time and I haven't seen any indications that's going to change." He saw Shale by the door and threw some money on the
table. "I'll sleep with him if I damn well please," he said and left, leaving Jack to stare after him.

*

Lennie stopped the car in front of Shale's hotel. He was still upset from his earlier conversation with Jack. Jack had no right to question him.

Shale glanced over at his distracted friend. He put his hand on Lennie's leg. "Come up with me."

"I don't know, Shale."

"The night's not over yet and I haven't had my dessert." Shale grinned when Lennie's eyebrow rose at the comment.

Lennie chuckled. "All right." He went up to Shale's room. He knew what Shale wanted. Part of him wanted it, too, but there was something holding him back. As soon as the door closed, Shale pushed him into the wall and kissed him urgently.

Shale felt Lennie's slight hesitation. He kept his arms on Lennie's shoulders. "I want you but I won't force it."

"It's just that I..."

"Is there someone else?"

"Not exactly," Lennie answered. "I've been with someone off-and-on for a while now, but it's been more off than on."

"It's McCoy isn't it?" Shale asked although he was certain of the answer.

That explained the tension between Lennie and Jack.

"Yeah."

Shale didn't want to get into a deeper discussion about Jack. Lennie's pain was evident. His accent got thicker. "I don't know about that but from what I saw of him, he's not interested in pursuing you if there's a young female available."

"He usually comes back to me...eventually," Lennie replied weakly, knowing that Shale wouldn't have to push him much more.

"And you're satisfied with that? That's not the man I know."

Lennie closed his eyes when Shale's hand came up to his face. "Shale," he pleaded.

"Let me help you to forget for at least a little while," Shale said softly and imploringly. He leaned in to kiss Lennie again that this time Lennie fully responded to him. "If you have to worry about McCoy, do it tomorrow."

*

It was nice for Lennie not to have to wake up alone. Shale was still asleep when he got up. He took a quick shower and dressed.

"You're up early," Shale said, grabbing Lennie from behind. He rested his chin on Lennie's shoulder.

"I can't sleep late anymore."

"I usually don't either. I think you may have had something to do with that," the Englishman replied and started kissing the back of Lennie's neck.

Lennie reluctantly stepped away and turned to face Shale. "I have to go."

"All right," Shale said, coming as close as he could to pouting but not quite. "Will I see you later?"

"Count on it."

When Lennie got home, he had a guest sitting in the hall outside his door. He stopped. "Jack."

Jack knew what Lennie looked like after a night of passion. He swallowed his jealousy. "I was wondering if we could talk," he said tightly.

Lennie took his keys out of his pocket and stepped to the door. He was acutely aware of Jack standing so close to him. "About what?"

"I think you know."

As Lennie unlocked the door, he said, "I'm really not in the mood right now."

Jack wouldn't be put off and followed Lennie into the apartment. "You slept with him didn't you?"

Lennie steadily met Jack's gaze. "Yes, and I enjoyed it."

"How could you?" Jack asked. He felt the fury rising inside of him and didn't even want to keep it contained.

Lennie didn't want to have this confrontation but knew he couldn't avoid it. "Why not Jack?"

"Because..." Jack spluttered.

"We are not together anymore, Jack," Lennie stated. "We both agreed to see other people. In fact, it was your idea. It wasn't long after that you slept with Jamie's friend, Sara. Then, you got bored. You came back to me. Two weeks later, you decide you want a woman again."

"Lennie..."

"What, Jack? Are you trying to tell me that it's okay for you to see other people but not me? I never agreed to that." Lennie sighed, putting a tight muzzle on his temper. Despite all that had happened between them, he didn't want to unnecessarily hurt Jack. "You don't have the right to be
jealous."

Jack was speechless. He couldn't remember the last time he didn't have a comeback.

Lennie opened the door. "Go home, Jack."

"All right," Jack said. He briefly looked into Lennie's eyes on his way out. Then, he grunted and went on his way.

Lennie shut the door and leaned against it. He'd just told Jack everything that he'd ever wanted to say. Now, Jack knew about all of his frustration and pain. So, why wasn't it better?

*

"What's with you?" Shale asked at dinner. "You've been quiet all night."

"I thought you didn't mind doing all of the talking," Lennie said.

"That's not the point and you know it."

"I just had a long day, that's all."

"Are you sure?" Shale pressed.

Lennie smiled. "Yes, I'm just tired."

"We'd better go then. I wouldn't want to keep you up," Shale said with a suggestive grin.

"You never let up do you?"

Shale shook his head. "No, not when it's something or someone that I want," he answered with a twinkle in his eyes.

Lennie took Shale back to his hotel. "You'd better go up by yourself tonight."

"Lennie," Shale said mock sternly. "Didn't we already have a conversation like this? I know that you had fun with me last night and you know that I won't dump you at the next opportunity."

"Shale, I..."

"Why shouldn't you? Give me one good reason. A good reason."

Lennie couldn't come up with anything to say. Everything he thought of sounded like pining after Jack, which he didn't want to do. Jack made his choice and he wasn't going to let that dictate his whole life.

Shale took Lennie's hand and held it to his chest. "Don't you think you deserve some happiness, too?"

"But, Shale, soon you'll leave and I'll be back in the same boat as I was before."

Shale grinned. "I'm not leaving."

"What?"

"There's a permanent post open here in New York and the company's offered it to me if I want it."

"You really want to stay?"

"That depends on you," Shale answered. "I've got no family to go back to, Lennie. My mother died last year. I do have friends back home, but they're not you. You've known me the longest. You know all of my vices and can still tolerate me. You're the only one I've woken up in a hot sweat in the middle of the night for."

Lennie stared at Shale. Could someone really feel that deeply for him? It didn't seem possible. Everyone that he'd ever loved had left him after tearing his heart out. And now, Shale was bearing his soul to him. "I don't know, Shale. I'm not very lucky in relationships. I don't want you to move here just for me." He shook his head. "I don't want that responsibility."

Shale smiled in understanding. "I know. I'm not very lucky either. I've been married more times than you." He paused. "They've given me a week to decide. Spend some of that time with me and then I'll see how I feel."

Lennie nodded. "Okay."

"Now, come up with me."

"All right."

*
A few days later, Lennie didn't feel like he was pining after Jack anymore. Shale made him feel wanted. Shale made him feel sexy. He grinned and acknowledged that Shale was a nut. Shale would have to be to feel that way about him.

"You've been in a good mood lately," Ed observed one night as he and Lennie worked late. He looked across his desk at Lennie with a smile of his own.

"I've been feeling good."

"I'm glad and I bet it has something to do with your English friend."

Lennie heard nothing in Ed's voice to indicate that Ed had a problem with that. Ed had known about his ups and downs with Jack and had wanted him to dump Jack before Jack could dump him. Ed warned him each time he'd taken Jack back. "That's a distinct possibility."

Ed laughed and saw Van Buren approaching them. "Hey, L-T."

Van Buren stopped by their desks. She put her hands on her hips and stared down at them. A long moment passed before she smiled. "Go home, guys, you've been here late enough."

"Thanks, L-T."

Van Buren waved that off. "I'm gonna get out of here, too. See ya tomorrow, guys."

"Night, Lieu," Lennie said. He stood up and grabbed his suit jacket off the back of his chair.

"You meeting him again tonight?" Ed asked, a twinkle in his brown eyes.

Lennie nodded. "Tonight, he's paying for dinner and he's not weaseling out of it."

"That's it, Lennie, lay down the law." Ed smirked. "And then lay him."

"I might just do that."

*

Shale pushed Lennie down onto the bed and straddled. He kissed Lennie possessively, while his fingers worked to unbutton Lennie's shirt. His tongue trailed to Lennie's ear. "I've come to a decision," he whispered.

Lennie swallowed. "Yeah?"

"Yes. I'm staying," Shale said and lightly bit down Lennie's earlobe.

Lennie ran his hands through Shale's thick hair and moved Shale's head so he could see Shale's face. "Are you sure this is what you want to do?"

Shale grinned and nodded. "Yes. Now that I have you, do you think that I'm going to let go? I'm going to make you forget the pain that Jack caused you. I want you and I'm keeping you."

"I'm not a possession."

"No, but you're as much mine as I am yours."

Lennie chuckled. "I feel like you're asking me to marry you."

Shale laughed and ran a finger down the side of Lennie's face. "Not anything as proper as that. I want you to be my one and only lover." His eyebrow rose. "Do you remember the first time we made love?"

"In that dingy, little motel room."

"Ah, you do remember."

"How could I forget? The mattress was lumpy and the water was brown."

"And the sex was incredible."

Lennie rubbed his body against Shale's. "That goes without saying."

"Do you remember me telling you that you drove me wild?"

"Yeah."

This time Shale's smile was tender. "You still do."

*

Lennie didn't have to see or think about Jack until the week was almost over. Shale had decided to stay in New York, which he didn't have a problem with. He had to go to Jack's office for a witness prep.

"Counselor," he greeted. He wanted it clear that he had no hard feelings against Jack. He had Shale and Jack could have his numerous women.

Jack grunted but kept his tone civil. "Detective, have a seat."

Lennie nodded and sat in one of the chairs in front of Jack's desk. They went over Lennie's testimony for court the next day. After business was over, Jack asked sourly, "Are you still seeing him?"

Lennie didn't hesitate. He had nothing to be ashamed of. "Yes. In fact, he's decided to move to New York permanently."

"How nice," Jack replied sarcastically. "Do you love him?"

"Yes."

Jack's throat tightened. "I'm happy for you, Lennie," he said and part of him meant it. The other part wanted Shale to burn in hell. But it was his own fault. He had taken it for granted that Lennie would always be there.

Until what? He wasn't sure. Maybe until he was ready for them to be a permanent thing.

"Thank you, Jack." Lennie stood up. "Say hello to Andrea for me. I met her. She's a nice kid."

Jack cleared his throat. "We're not seeing each other anymore."

"Has it ever occurred to you that you go through women too quick?" Lennie quipped, but his voice also had an edge to it.

"What of it?" Jack snapped.

Lennie put his hands up. "Hold your horses, Jack. I'm not interested in arguing with you."

"I'm sorry if I'm a little hostile, but you start banging that English prick and you expect me to be happy about it?"

"You have no say in the matter."

"Lennie..."

"Jack," Lennie said, cutting Jack off. "How many times do you want to go through this? We are not together and we haven't been for a long time. You made it quite clear that you didn't want me anymore. You needed to inflate your ego by sleeping with as many women as possible. That's fine. I could care less and don't expect me to be around when you get bored." He took a deep, calming breath. "Let's not let our past effect our working relationship. I'm still a cop and you're still a D.A. We can get along for that, okay?"

Jack nodded. "Okay....Lennie, I don't want to see you hurt."

Why, you never had any problem doing that. Lennie bit back that response and answered simply, "Shale won't hurt me." He nodded to Jack, turned on his heel, and left. When he was in the hall, he realized that, for the first time in a long while, he didn't feel like he should run back into Jack's
office and beg Jack to come back. It was a great feeling. "Thank you, Shale."

 

The end....
for now.

 

I'm thinking of doing more with this. A sequel and perhaps a prequel as well. What do you think?