Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Characters:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
1,644
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
1
Kudos:
7
Bookmarks:
1
Hits:
1,257

Every Cloud Has A Silver Lining

Summary:

Summary: Danny confronts Martin about his addiction but he just may regret it. Danny confronts Martin again about his addiction. Will this confrontation end their friendship or will it bring Danny and Martin closer than ever?
Warnings: Mild language, mild violence

Work Text:



Every Cloud Has A Silver Lining
by wildlightning AKA foxhound7973

 

Martin and Danny sat in the bullpen looking through the phone records of their latest missing person, while the rest of the team were out in the field. Neither man was talking or looking at each other. Martin began to sweat and shake, he knew it was a sign of withdrawal, he knew that no one could see him like that – especially not Danny. So calmly he got up from his desk – hoping that Danny wouldn't notice that something was wrong – and went to the bathroom. A wave of nausea hit and he quickened his pace – just making it in time. Taking a couple of deep breaths, he started to splash water over his face, when he was startled by Danny entering the bathroom.

Danny slowly opened the bathroom door and closed his eyes, he knew he was right. He knew Martin was in withdrawal, but this couldn't wait any longer.

"Are you okay, Martin?" Danny asked, concern laced into his voice.

"I'm fine," Martin replied quickly. It was a lie and he knew Danny saw right through it. He felt like his whole world was falling apart and he wasn't sure how long he could hold up this façade.

"Martin this has to stop, you shouldn't even be here. You need to get yourself clean before you get anyone else hurt again or even killed." Danny started.

"I told you that I don't have a problem – alright? I already told you that I wasn't feeling well so drop it! I'm not a freakin' addict like you!" Martin yelled in anger. He tried to stop the words that were spilling out of his mouth but it was too late. The damage was already done.

Danny was angry but he knew that it was just the withdrawal talking, not Martin.

"You need to get help, Martin. If you don't, I'll be forced to report you to Jack. The choice is yours, Martin." Danny said sternly.

"Go to hell!" Martin yelled as he started to leave the bathroom. But found Danny grabbing his arm - stopping him, he spun around. Feeling his temper rising, he punched Danny in the face, nearly knocking Danny to the ground. He started to shake and raked a hand through his hair. He couldn't believe what he'd just done. "Oh my god, Danny, I'm so sorry. I didn't-" Martin stammered.

Danny touched his mouth and lips and found them covered in blood. "You can hit me if that's what you want or if that makes you feel better but either way your ass is getting help and you're getting it now!" Danny yelled, his voice thick with anger and concern as he slammed Martin against the bathroom wall to re-enforce his point.

Martin collapsed onto the cold bathroom floor. He was vaguely aware of the sobs that racked his body. But he didn't deserve Danny's help or pity – he was turning into a monster.

"I'm so sorry." Martin sobbed. He tried to look away as Danny knelt down in front of him. "You were right. It is the painkillers but I can't stop. I-I threw the bottle in the trash but then I just got the bottle from the trash and took the pills again."

"Why didn't you come to me, Martin? I would've been there for you – I would've helped you." Danny exclaimed, shocked at Martin's confession. He hadn't realized that Martin's addiction had gotten this bad.

Martin sniffled as he tried to compose himself. "I didn't want to bother you especially after what you've been through with Rafi and everything else that's happened - no way. Besides, I figured you
didn't want to talk to me anyway since I almost got you and the kid killed." He let his head fall into his hands and started to sob again.

Danny grabbed Martin's face – forcing Martin to look at him. "Look at me, Martin. You don't annoy me and you're one of my best friends. I'm going to be here for you - whenever you need me. I'm not going anywhere and neither are you. You're going to beat this thing." He reassured.

Martin pushed Danny's hands away; he stared at the floor and continued to gently sob into his chest. "I don't think I can get through this; I don't think I can quit!" Martin exclaimed.

"Look at me." Danny said, his voice thick with emotion. "You're going to get through this alright? You made it through that ambush and you're going to make through this."

"But-" Martin started, his voice cracking with emotion.

Danny cut Martin off, but he could feel his emotions beginning to get the better of him. "But nothing, Martin. I didn't lose you to that ambush and I'm not going to lose you to those damn painkillers."
Danny took a deep breath as he felt tears begin to roll down his face, but he had to keep it together for Martin. "I can help you, Martin but I can't do it without you. You have to make the choice and you have to start by accepting that you have a problem."

"I-I can't," Martin stuttered. He held his head in his hands as he completely broke down. "I-I can't stop talking the pills. I-I'm addicted to them. Oh my god. What am I going to do? I'm finished here
and then there's my father." He covered his face in shame as he continued to break down.

Danny cried as he embraced Martin and gave him the support that he needed so much. They sat on the cold bathroom floor for several minutes as their crying subsided. Danny never once let go of his
partner and best friend. Martin held on to him as if Danny were his last lifeline.

"All right." Danny started, still sniffing. "Okay, first thing's first. What did you do with the pills?"

"I-I have them in my pocket," Martin sniffled. He reached into his pocket and stared at them – not quite ready to give them to Danny. He watched as Danny motioned to him to hand over the pills. With trembling fingers he slowly handed them over. He closed his eyes over and looked away as Danny flushed the pills down the toilet – it was too painful to watch.

Danny knelt in front of Martin again. "We have to get you into rehab. Listen," Danny said, lifting Martin's head again. "I'm not saying this is going to be easy, Fitzy. You're going to go through hell with withdrawal. Then, you're going to have to go to meetings. And no matter what happens I'm going to be there for you, Fitzy. But you got to have to want this – alright?"

"How can you still want to help me after everything that's happened?" Martin exclaimed.

"Because I've been there and I know exactly what you're going through," Danny said, his voice full of emotion. He pulled Martin into an embrace, as tears streamed down his face. "So stop trying to act like a hard ass and thinking you can handle it all on your own. Nobody makes it on their own, Fitzy – nobody."

Suddenly the door swung open and an agent wandered in. He looked down to see Danny and Martin sitting on the floor hugging each other. "Uh- sorry- I'll-uh come back later." He stuttered and quickly fled the bathroom.

The boys looked at each other and laughed, as they realized how it must have looked to the agent. Danny pulled out of the embrace and stood, bringing Martin up with him.

"I think we better get out of here before the rumors start flying around. Come on," Danny said as he headed towards the door.

"Thanks, Danny. Thanks for everything, man," Martin chuckled, but the tone of his voice changed as he addressed some of his fears. "But- what am I going to do about work, if anyone finds out- I'll be fired for sure. I can't let that happen and then there is my father. H-He will be so disappointed a-and t-this job is all I know."

"You don't need to thank me, Fitzy." Danny said as he pulled Martin into another embrace. "I know what you're going through – remember? And don't worry about work right now. We don't have to say anything to anyone for now – because you're getting help – right?" Danny watched Martin slowly nod before continuing. "Good. Then, you can start now. There's a meeting in an hour. If we leave now, we should make it in time."

"What about work?" Martin asked nervously.

"We'll just say that you had bad take-out for lunch and that you had to go to the hospital. As you have been puking your guts out and you think that you're suffering from food poisoning. And me, being the wonderful Danny Taylor, graciously offered to drive you – because you can't."

"Yeah, right? You actually think that the team's stupid enough to believe that cheesy story?" Martin said with a smile.

"Trust me, they'll buy it." Danny replied.

"Why's that?"

"Because you look like shit man." Danny chuckled.

Martin looked at him skeptically and laughed, as he realized that he really did look like shit. Laughing, Danny put an arm over Martin's shoulders, as they left the bathroom together.

The team bought Danny's cheesy story about the food poisoning, allowing Danny to take Martin to an NA meeting. Usually he would go to an AA meeting tonight, but Danny knew he had to support Martin – especially now. Whilst sitting in the meeting Danny looked across at Martin and thought - You're going to be okay, Fitzy. You're going to make it through this like you've made it through everything else bad that's happened. I may not have been there for you after the shooting but I'm going to be there for you from now on.

 

end