Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
594
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
10
Hits:
1,063

In Your Dreams

Summary:

Summary: Sydney learns that some questions, even in the heat of anger, are better left unasked.

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:

In Your Dreams
by Pirate Turner

 

She paused to take a deep breath, but it failed to calm her in even the least for the charming grin he served her only infuriated her more for she mistook it as a proud smirk. "Really, Gage, just what exactly do you want to be when you finally decide to grow up?!" she blasted. "It better not be a real Texas Ranger, because you're failing miserably! A real Texas Ranger, worthy of his badge, would never have been stupid enough to -- "

His quiet answer cut her fury short. "Your husband."

Sydney's mouth was still hanging wide open in the beginning formation of another word, but her voice suddenly died within her throat. She stared at him, completely dumbfounded for a moment, then growled, her brown eyes flashing. "Get. In. The. Car. Now."

"Yes, ma'am." His grin growing, Gage gave her a salute and slid into her car, shutting the door behind him before she could go off again.

Sydney stomped around the car, her mind whirling over just how in the heck she was going to explain Gage's latest escapade to Walker and their superiors and keep their jobs in tact. At the same time, she sought for an appropriate response to her partner's latest taunt. As she slid into her seat and slammed her door behind her, Syd resorted to the age old line, "In your dreams."

Gage flashed her a smile so brilliant that her knees felt weak and she was glad she was sitting down. "Always, Mrs. Gage, always."

Her eyes flashed at him, but he knew the emotions that hid just underneath her veil of anger. He leaned forward. Her heart thundered in her chest and leaped to her throat. Her eyes cut daggers into his handsome, smiling face that loomed ever closer.

She wanted to kiss him. She could finally admit that to herself, though she'd never tell him the truth, but one more kiss between them would lead to utter heartbreak and the destruction of the best friendship she'd ever been blessed with. At the same time that she wanted to kiss his firm, full mouth, she also wanted to shut up all his taunts and teases. Part of her argued that he didn't know how he made her feel when he talked like that, didn't understand her reasons for fighting what was between them; the other part of her told her the jack ass knew exactly what he was doing and the toll he was taking on her emotions.

Caught between socking and kissing the one man who moved her more than any other ever had or would, Sydney opted instead to crank the car. She didn't break eye contact with him, however, even as the vehicle roared to life. She smiled at him, her eyelashes lowering to make her eyes appear more seductive.

Gage came closer, and Syd waited until the last moment to whip away from him and fly out of the area where she had parked. Gage fell forward with a yelp and barely caught his head from hitting the dash. It was her turn to smirk at him as she warned belatedly, "Better buckle up."

Gage returned to his seat, his own heart hammering even while his teeth gritted in fury. Sydney pretended not to notice the way his fist jammed against the panel on the passenger door. One day, Gage swore, he would make the beautiful, maddening woman who was already his best friend his partner in all the meanings of the word!

 

The End

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author Pirate Turner.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.