Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Characters:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
539
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
11
Hits:
1,216

Omphaloskepsis

Summary:

Danny thinks that can't be a real word.

Work Text:

Danny Blue shook his head and sat back. He stuck his chin out. “Nope. Not this time.”

Mickey Stone sat across from him. He smirked. “What do you mean?”

Danny waved at Mickey, Stacie Monroe, and the scrabble board. “I’m not letting you get away with it again.”

Stacie was next to Danny. She squeezed his elbow. “What are you talking about?”

Danny pointed at the board. “That!”

Mickey bit his lip in an effort not to laugh. He took a deep breath and tried for a reasonable tone. “Danny--”

“No,” Danny interrupted. “I know you. I wish you two would stop treating me like I’m stupid.”

Stacie rested her chin on Danny’s shoulder and batted her eyelashes at him. “We’re not.”

Albert Stroller came in from the other room. “What’s all the fuss about?” He stopped behind Mickey and looked over his shoulder. “Ah, I see. Triple word score, too. Impressive.”

“Oh, Albert, not you too,” Danny groaned.

Albert settled into one of the armchairs and grabbed the newspaper off the side table. He opened it and held it up to cover his face. “That’s a real word, Danny,” he said dryly.

“No, it isn’t.”

Mickey rolled his eyes. “Yes, it is.”

Danny folded his arms across his chest. “Do you think I was born yesterday, that I’ll swallow anything you make up?”

“Come on, Danny,” Stacie whispered in his ear. “You know we wouldn’t do that to you. I promise that it’s a real word.”

Danny shook his head stubbornly but made no move to push her away. “Nope.”

Stacie looked around. “Don’t we have a dictionary around here?”

The front door opened and the last member of the crew came in. Ash Morgan carried a paper grocery bag in each hand. “I heard you lot in the hall. What are you squabbling about?”

Mickey jumped up to help. “Our boy Danny’s just being a sore loser again.”

“Am not,” Danny groused.

Ash set his bag down and went to stand behind Danny and Stacie. He leaned down so that his forearms rested across the back of the settee. “Oh, I see.”

Danny half turned to face Ash. “Help a mate out, Ash.” A comical look of confusion crossed his face. “Is that a real word?”

Ash smiled ruefully. “I’m afraid that it is, Danny.”

Danny thought for a moment and then nodded. “All right then.”

Stacie arched an eyebrow at Ash. “How did you know?”’

Ash nodded to Mickey. “I’ve played with him before. I was sure to look it up.”

“But what does it mean?” Danny asked.

“Contemplation of one’s navel as an aide to meditation,” Ash answered readily.

Danny whistled and looked at Mickey. “How do you even come up with words like that? Omphal…omp…” He stuttered and threw his hands up in surrender.

“Omphaloskepsis,” Mickey enunciated slowly. He settled back into his place. “I don’t know. Ask Albert. I picked it up from him.”

Albert barely peeked at them over the top of the paper. He grunted. “You act like it’s a crime for one to be educated.”

Stacie punched Danny’s shoulder playfully. “Why did you believe Ash and not us?”

Danny grinned. “If you were me, would you trust you?”

Albert slowly lowered the paper. He, Stacie, and Mickey just looked at each other. The three of them suddenly laughed.

“I suppose not,” Stacie admitted.

“Smart lad.” Ash patted Danny’s shoulder. “Stick to the con, Danny.”