Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
609
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
1
Kudos:
21
Hits:
1,707

Time Enough

Summary:

an AU Johnny Childhood story

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:


Time Enough
By Klair

Murdoch Lancer cantered along on his horse, tightly holding his young, laughing-with-delight son in his lap as they sped across the meadow to the hills at the far end of his property. Marie didn't approve of such racing with her "mijo", but Johnny's glee while galloping, and the soulful, pleading brown eyes, begging him to be taken along, were more than the young rancher could resist. He took Johnny out at every opportunity, which wasn't as often as he liked.

That was only one of many things Murdoch and his wife of three years, Marie, argued about recently. Hell, there weren't many things they *didn't* argue about. He spent too much time on the range and building up the ranch, too much time in town on business, too much time away from her and their son, etc, she'd complain every night he was home. But, out here, far from the worrying eyes and scolding tongue of his wife, Murdoch and his son could ride the range to their hearts' content.

Cresting the hilltop, Murdoch slowed the animal and came to a halt, much to young Johnny's disapproval. The two-and-a-half-year-old tried to pull on the reins held firmly in his father's hand to get them going again.

"More, Pa. More," the young child pleaded.

But Murdoch only tousled the boy's hair and said, "We have to rest the horse, Johnny. You wouldn't want him to get hurt, would you?"

"No." Johnny shook his head vigorously and patted the animal's sweaty neck. "Good horse."

Turning back to survey the land they'd just ridden through, Murdoch took stock of his growing ranch. The cramped adobe cabin at the other end of the valley would one day be a fine house, sturdily built to withstand attack, but elegant enough for a wealthy rancher and his family. Marie would have the fine things she pined for. Johnny would have a good education back east and a love of the land from growing up here.

And one day...one day he'd travel back to Boston to claim the son that had been taken from him three years ago. He should do that soon. It was only right for him to have his oldest boy, and Johnny could use a brother to play with now and an ally later to help run this ranch.  The more hands the better in this beautiful, but rugged, and unforgiving land.

He began to walk the horse along the hilltop to make a circuit of his property. Hands were what he needed now more than anything. That new foreman of his, O'Brien, was working out well. His wife, pregnant with their first child, was a great help to Marie, too.

It'd been a rough three years since Catherine's death, but it looked like things were finally looking up for him. He had a growing ranch, a lovely and passionate wife, and a sturdy son. Yes, there was much work still to be done, but Murdoch Lancer didn't shy away from hard work or a challenge.

A noise to his left brought him back to the moment. Quickly, Murdoch drew his gun, ready for trouble. He smiled, and relaxed when a white-tailed deer stepped across his path and ran quickly to the cover of the nearby brush.

"Johnny, look at the -" he began, and halted when he gazed down at his son, the boy's head lolling to the side, nodding to the horse's movements. Murdoch made his napping son more comfortable nestled in his lap and headed for home. There'd be other deer and other rides later. Besides, Murdoch needed to get back to work.

 

The end

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author Klair.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.