Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
289
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
7
Hits:
1,096

Reprieve

Summary:

Summary:  Dean wakes up to find he's no longer in Hell.

Work Text:

Reprieve
by Sam-Tony

 
Dean awoke to a crisp morning breeze wafting in through an open window.  
 
There were also birds singing cheerfully just outside and a shaft of bright sunlight filtering in to shine in a one inch strip falling *just* across his closed eyes.
 
There was also no pain - no demons, no chains and no damned souls screaming out in torment, adding their voices to his.  Nothing.  Just warmth that wasn't fire and a gentle touch that Dean immediately recognized as coming from his brother.
 
Sam.
 
"Sam?"
 
Despite the hours, months, years of doing just that, he hadn't meant to call it out loud, not wanting the dream to end just yet.  But the arms around him only tightened reflexively, as if startled, as the larger body under him shifted.  It was only then Dean realized they were in the spare bed at Bobby's.  The twin mattress, usually small and uncomfortable, felt like heaven at the moment.  
 
Or maybe it was just his brother, whole and alive and *here*.
 
"Yeah?"
 
The voice was rough from fatigue though not sleep.
 
"How'd I get here?"
 
"There was a battle."
 
"In Hell?"
 
"Yeah."
 
Silence.  Only the beating of Sam's heart against his back ticked out the anxious seconds as it stretched on, until..."And??"
 
He couldn't help waiting for the other shoe to drop; for the reprieve to be over and Lillith's Hellhounds to start once again baying at his heels.  He thought he remembered running, though he couldn't remember if that was from that night, or just all in his head...
 
" ... "
 
More than the tense line of the body holding him, the silence was deafening.  It scared him in a way he wasn't prepared to admit.  
 
"Sam?  Sammy what did you do?"
 
"I won."
 

End