Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Relationship:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-04
Words:
2,432
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
11
Hits:
1,345

A Slow Seduction

Summary:

Archive: The Python's Lair: www.geocities.com/bikertaker2000/Python.html
Disclaimer: These guys don't belong to me. This is just for fun. Please don't sue me.

Work Text:

A Slow Seduction
by Python

 

I was dreaming about him again. Jack McCoy. Why the hell had he started invading my dreams lately? I didn't know. I normally wasn't attracted to men, at least not many men. I will admit that there have been a few.

It started to really get bad during the Donelson case. Me, him, Rey, and Jamie all worked very long and hard on it. After a very vivid fantastic dream about what Jack looked like in the shower, I woke up panting. I stared at my ceiling, willing my breathing under control. "You can't do this, Lennie. What's going to happen when you're staying with Rey?"

My apartment building was being fumigated and the landlord said we all needed to find a place to stay for a week. He finally decided to quit being cheap and get rid of the bugs and rats. Rey offered to let me sleep on his couch and I figured that that was better than paying for a motel.

Two days before the fumigation began, Rey's wife, Debra, had to go into the hospital. She had a seizure. The doctors said that it wasn't too serious, but they wanted to keep her for observation. I told Rey that I'd find somewhere else to stay. I didn't want to intrude on the family during that hard time. The last thing they needed was a guest.

"How's Debra?" I asked, as Rey and I were leaving the DA's office after another meeting about Donelson. It was the first day that I couldn't go home.

"I talked to her on the phone today. She's frustrated at the doctors for keeping her."

I grinned. "She must be feeling a lot better to be complaining about the doctors."

Rey smiled wryly. "Yeah. Lennie, are you sure that you don't want to sleep at my house?"

I nodded. "Yeah, Rey. It's all right. I've found somewhere else."

"You're not talking about the back seat of your car, are you?"

"No, I'm just gonna go to a motel."

"Lennie..."

We got out to the street. "No, Rey, just go home and take care of your kids. I'll be fine."

Rey sighed. "All right."

Despite the fact that Rey's vehicle was in the opposite direction from mine, I walked him to his car and made sure he got in. "Say hi to the girls for me."

"I will."

"Night, Rey. See ya tomorrow."

"Night."

I passed by the entrance to Hogan Place again just as Jack came out. "Detective," he said.

I nodded, determined not to think about any of my fantasies. I'd been able to focus on work while in his office, but this was no longer work. "Counselor."

Jack fell into step beside me. "I didn't think that you'd still be around."

"I put Rey in his car."

"How's Debra?"

"Better, but he doesn't know how much longer the hospital will keep her," I answered.

"At least there's progress."

"Yeah."

Jack jammed his hands in his pockets. "So, what's this I hear that you don't have a home?"

I shrugged. "Fumigation. It'll take a week."

"Where are you staying?"

"I was going to crash on Rey's couch, but now I'll just find a motel."

"You don't have to do that," Jack said.

I didn't stop walking, but I glanced at him. "What do you mean?"

"You don't have to spend money on a motel. You can crash on my couch."

Me sleeping in Jack's apartment. It was unthinkable. Who knew what kind of dreams I'd have sleeping in the same apartment? I didn't want to take a chance on embarrassing myself. Then, I could really kiss my reputation goodbye. "I don't know if that's such a good idea, Counselor."

"Why not?" Jack asked. He nudged me with his elbow. "Come on. I don't mind. My couch is just sitting there."

"You'd get tired of me after two hours," I said.

Jack stared at me and smiled. "Somehow I doubt that."

I couldn't bring myself to say no, not to that warm and friendly face with intense dark eyes. "Okay, if you insist."

We came to Hogan Place's parking lot. "See ya at my place," Jack said and veered off into the lot.

I finished the journey to my car, mentally telling myself how stupid I was for accepting Jack's offer. It was bound to backfire in my face. I just had bad luck after people found out that I was attracted to them. Two divorces made me cynical.

There was a way to avoid trouble. I couldn't let Jack find out how I felt. I got in my car and started the ignition. By the time, I got to his place, I managed to convince myself that all I had was a crush and that it would pass.

Jack waited for me outside. "I wasn't sure if you'd remember which one it is."

I'd been to Jack's place once in the middle of the night with Jamie and Rey on a case. At that point, I couldn't remember what case, but I did remember which one was Jack's apartment. I reminded myself again not to do anything stupid. "My memory's a little hazy," I lied.

Jack smiled again. I wished that he'd stop doing that. "That's all right. Even I can't remember everything." He opened the door and motioned for me to precede him.

I stepped inside the apartment building and walked with Jack to the elevator. We went up to the third floor and his was the door at the very end of the hall on the left. He unlocked the door. "After you."

I went in and Jack reached in, brushing his arm against mine, to flip on the overheard light. I ignored the warmth of the touch. I looked around. Jack's apartment hadn't changed much, still moderately furnished and cluttered. Sections of the newspaper were all over the coffee table, along with empty soda cans and glasses.

"Sorry for the mess," Jack said sheepishly.

I waved that off. "You've got nothin' on my place. I'm really a slob."

Jack laughed and rested his hand the back of my shoulder. "Can I take your jacket?"

My mouth went dry. I swallowed. "Sure." I slipped out of the jacket and watched him hang it in the closet along with his own.

"Where's your other clothes for this week?"

"Everything's in a bag in the car. I can go into the precinct early and get ready," I answered.

A look of what seemed to be disappointment briefly flashed across Jack's face. He recovered quickly. "Ah, okay. Then, I don't have to really worry about sharing the bathroom in the morning."

"Nope."

Jack pointed to the couch. "Have a seat," he said, switching on a lamp by the couch and turning off the overhead.

"Okay." I sat at one end, while he sat at the other. He grabbed the remote and turned the news on.

He watched a different channel for news than me, but I didn't really care. They all reported the same bad news. A couple times, I noticed him eyeing me instead of the TV.

After the sports segment, Jack turned the TV off. He got up and went to a closet in the hall. He brought in a pillow and blanket. "Here you go."

"Thanks." I stood up to take the stuff from him. I reached for the pillow and his fingers brushed across mine.

"Is there anything else you need?"

You, I almost answered. I shook my head to clear it. I had to keep control. "No, thanks."

Jack stared at me, but I wouldn't meet his eyes. He let out a long sigh. "Okay. Good night, then."

"Night," I said. He walked away and I watched his back. I heard his bedroom door close and let out a breath that I didn't realize I was holding.

I laid the pillow and blanket on the couch. Then, I sat down and took my shoes and tie off. I stood up and stripped down to my boxers and t-shirt.

I stretched out on the couch and turned the lamp off. I pulled the blanket over my head, hiding from what being in Jack's apartment did to me. I grunted and did my best to shut Jack out of my mind.

It was a long day and I eventually fell asleep. Some time later, there was a light but insistent tap on my shoulder. I stuck my head out from under the blanket to see Jack. There was enough moonlight for me to see his face.

Jack sat on the edge of the couch next to me. I opened my mouth, but he put a finger to my lips. Then, he leaned in closer. His breath was on my face and then I woke up.

I was sweating and saw that I'd kicked the blanket off. I covered my eyes with my arm. This could not be happening. I had to stop feeling this way, especially if I was going to be staying with Jack for a week. "Get a grip, Lennie. You have more control than this," I muttered.

Two more nights, I had the same dream. But I did everything I could to keep our relationship normal. The next day, Jack had a great day in court. When I got back to his place after work, he took my arm and steered me back out the door. "Come and have a drink with me. I'm in the mood to celebrate."

"I don't drink anymore, Jack."

"They got club soda, Lennie."

I was weak in the face of Jack's grin. "Okay."

We walked to a small bar a block from the apartment. It was a dimly lit, smoky place. He pointed to a row of tables against the wall. "Sit down. I'll get the drinks."

I chose a table, sat, and rested my chin in my palm. I watched Jack at the bar. He glanced over his shoulder and smirked at me.

Jack brought a glass of club soda and set it in front of me. He had a glass of scotch. "Here you go," he said.

"Thanks."

"No problem."

Jack sat in the chair on my left instead of across from me. I took a sip and looked up at the TV above the bar. "The Jets beat the Bears today," I said, trying to make small talk.

Jack waved his hand dismissively. "It's only pre-season football. It doesn't matter."

I shrugged. "I guess not." I felt his eyes on me but didn't take mine from the TV. I was afraid that Jack would see something in my eyes. I used my straw to stir the lime around in my club soda

Jack slipped his right hand under the table and took my left hand, which was resting on my knee. I almost jumped. Almost. "Lennie," he said in a low, gravelly tone.

"What?"

"Look at me."

I took a deep breath and did as Jack asked. "What?"

Jack stroked my fingers. "Have you ever been with another man before?"

"A few times, but that was a long time ago."

"So, you're not attracted to men anymore?"

I squirmed in my chair, but Jack gripped my hand tightly. "Jack..."

"Lennie, just keep calm. No one can hear us. No one is paying any attention to us," Jack said. One of his eyebrows rose. "Now, answer the question."

"I plead the fifth," I replied. It was hard for me to believe this was happening. Jack was coming on to me. I would have said that he'd had too much to drink but he hadn't even finished half that first glass of scotch.

Jack let go and rubbed the inside of my thigh. "Stop," I said, even though I really didn't want him to.

"I don't think you really mean that," Jack whispered in my ear.

I couldn't think straight enough to lie. I wanted Jack as much as ever and it was beginning to dawn on me that the feeling could be mutual. Still, there must have been a reason not to go any farther with Jack. Right?

Jack threw back the rest of his scotch and slammed the glass down on the table. There was a fire in his eyes. "Let's go."

I took a long gulp of club soda, but my mouth was still dry. Too bad the rest of my body wasn't. I could feel sweat breaking out all over. And I was lucky that I could walk out of the bar normally.

It didn't take long for Jack and I to get back to his place. We went inside and he locked the door behind us. Then, he stood in front of me. "I want you, Lennie."

I was at a loss. "Really?"

Jack laughed. "After all of that in the bar, after all the little things I've done to try and let you know how I feel, and you still have to ask."

"I'm a little slow today."

Jack cupped my chin, leaned in, and pressed his lips against mine. He was tentative at first, but soon became more demanding. He traced my lips with his tongue.

I pulled away from Jack's mouth and stared at the floor. "We can't."

"Why?"

Jack's closeness was getting to me. "Because...because..."

"Why?" Jack asked again.

I made myself meet Jack's eyes. I had to make him see that we couldn't. He was staring at me intently. Before I knew it, I was kissing him.

All resistance was gone after that. We pushed each other's jackets off and he leaned in to kiss my neck. I ran my hands through his hair and pulled his head up. I needed to kiss his lips again.

Jack grabbed my hand. He nipped at my bottom lip. "Come on," he whispered. "I want to show you my bed."

"Sounds good to me," I growled and followed him to the bedroom.

Jack winked at me. "This is gonna be fun."

 

The End