Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
1,263
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
5
Hits:
1,057

Replenishing Piggy

Summary:

Category:  Slash, Humor, Romance, Established Relationship
Pairing:  Jack/Daniel ... and it's all J/D
Rating:  PG-13
Season:  Beyond the Series - January 8-15, 2014
Spoilers:  None
Size:  9kb, ficlet
Written:  May 7-8,10-11,14,16-17, 2008
Summary:  Following Jack's lead, David comes up with a unique solution to a financial dilemma.
Disclaimer:  Usual disclaimers -- not mine, wish they were, especially Daniel, and Jack, too, but they aren't.  A gal can dream though!
Notes:  
1) Sometimes, Jack and Daniel speak almost telepathically.  Their “silent” words to each other are indicated by asterisks instead of quotes, such as **Jack, we can't.**
2) Silent, unspoken thoughts by various characters are indicated with ~ in front and behind them, such as ~Where am I?~
3) Thanks to my betas who always make my fics better:  Linda, Tammy, Melissa, Keri!

Work Text:

Replenishing Piggy
by Orrymain

“Dad said no?” Jeff asked in surprise as he sat on David's bed with the younger boy.

“He said we're getting spoiled,” David sighed.  “He told me to save up for it.”

“That'll work.”

“Yeah, but it'll take me months to save up enough,” David whined.

“Hey, no whining!” Jack warned, having overheard the conversation as he was walking by.  “Whining is for babies, and even JD doesn't qualify for that anymore.”

“But ...” David began.

“David, whining is annoying.  It's a bad habit that no one should do.  Now you're smart.  You want that new software program, then think of some honest ways to earn some money,” Jack suggested before walking away.

“Maybe Grandpa has some chores you can do around his house,” Jeff suggested.

“I'll ask, but I need to figure out a way to earn more money, fast,” David sighed.  “I'll think of something.”

“I believe ya,” Jeff responded, seeing the determined look on his brother's face. “Let me know if you need help with ideas or something, David.”

“Thanks, Bro.”

====

Later that night, the entire family, dogs, cats, and other assorted pets included, were in the recreation room, just hanging out together.  Some were playing cards at the game table, some were building things on the floor, a couple were reading, and a few were talking as they relaxed on the sofa.  Music filled the air, providing a serene atmosphere.

“Geez,” Jack lamented.  “Do you believe this?  They're preempting 'The Simpsons' for some local public affairs thing this week.”

“It'll be on next week, Dad,” Brianna responded as she dealt the cards to her siblings.  “And I'll bet you that it will be on several times for reruns, too,” she smirked.

“For crying out loud, Bri, it's ...”  Jack stopped, suddenly seeing a smiling eleven-year-old grinning at him.  “What's that?” he asked about the jar the boy held in his hand.

“It's the whine jar, Dad.  You said whining was bad, so I decided to earn some money by charging a dollar per whine.  One dollar, please.”

“Now wait just a minute!” Jack objected.

“That's two whines, Dad.  Two dollars, please,” David asked with a demanding smile.

“He's right, Jack,” Daniel interjected.  “Pay up.”

Wanting to growl in complaint, but not wanting to be out another buck, Jack reached into his pocket for his wallet and forked over the requested amount.

“Thank you, Dad,” David acknowledged politely, putting the top back on the jar and setting it down beside him.

====

As they cleaned up the kitchen a bit later, Daniel remarked, “You have to admit it was ingenious.”

“He's being a smarty pants,” Jack insisted as he wrapped the plate of leftover Rice Krispies treats.

“He's earning money creatively,” Daniel countered.

“For crying out loud, Daniel, he's ...”

“One dollar, please,” David requested, sticking his jar upward.

“Where'd you come from?”

“My mommy,” David responded with a smirk.

“Paybacks, my boy,” Jack promised, pulling out another dollar and placing it in the jar.  **I'm tellin' you, Danny, that boy is like a younger version of you.**

**And just what is the problem with that, Love?** Daniel responded, raising his eyebrows at his husband as he continued to wipe down the counter.

“Cocky,” Jack mumbled.

“If you're lucky,” Daniel said quietly but with plenty of seductive amusement in his tone.

====

“But I don't ...” Jonny paused a couple of days later.  He looked behind him, in front of him, and all around him.  When he was through, he walked into the living room and then over to the rec room.  He sneaked a peek at the intercom to make sure it was off.  Finally, he said, “But I don't want to dress up, Daddy.”

“That's a dollar, Jonny,” David called out from the backyard.

Jonny's entire body drooped as he stared at his younger father with sad eyes.

“Sorry, Son.  You forgot to check the backyard, and the screen door is open,” Daniel pointed out, patting the top of the boy's head.  “Want help getting the money out of your piggy bank?”

“No, I can do it,” Jonny sighed, slowly trudging his way towards his room to pay up for his whine.

====

“Homework before ballet,” Jack reminded Lulu sternly two days later.

“But ...”  The budding dancer looked over towards the sofa and saw a grinning and ready-to-pounce David.  Lulu smiled and said, “But of course, Dad.  I'll do my homework right now.”

Jack looked over at David and saw the frown and the snap of the fingers he'd done in reaction to Lulu's quick thinking save.

~The one thing that boy has accomplished this week is the lack of whining in this house,~ Jack chuckled inwardly.

====

A few evenings later, confident that he was alone with his lover, Jack groused, “Daniel, there's no way in Netu that I'm going to let him get away with that.”

“You could just go along,” Daniel suggested about a situation at the base.

“You've been to those things. They're boring,” Jack sighed.  “I don't want to ...” Jack looked down at the jar full of dollars and coins.  ~I swear, he's using Asgard beam technology.~  “David.”

“Yes, Dad?”

“How much is that software program you want?”

“I need fifty more dollars,” the boy genius responded.

Jack reached into his wallet and pulled out a mixture of denominations and placed them in the jar while saying, “There's sixty.  Let me make this clear.  Congrats on your solution to your money-making problem, but I don't ever want to see this jar or anything like it again.  Capiche?”

Grinning, David answered, “Capiche, Dad, and thanks!”

“What are you laughing at?” Jack snapped at his husband.

“Well, by my count, the children put in about two or three dollars each, except for Jonny, who got caught six times and Jeff, who intentionally got caught ten times.  The rest of that ... money stash was all thanks to you, and you're the one who criticized him for whining in the first place.”

“It did accomplish something,” Jack claimed.

“The brood stopped whining.”

“He really wants that program,” the older man commented, finally putting his wallet back into his pocket.

“Jack, I don't disagree with what you did, not at all.  The children had an awesome Christmas, and I'm a little concerned that they don't realize how lucky they are.  At the same time, David's idea was ... intriguing.  I can't help but be a little proud of his ingenuity.”

“Me, too,” Jack admitted.  “He had a financial problem, looked at his options, and used my words to replenish his bank account.”

“Babe, do you think we should we be concerned about how spoiled the brood is getting?” the concerned younger father asked.

“I think we need to keep an eye on it, but it's not at the critical stage.  I don't think it's time to plan the India trip just yet,” Jack reassured.

“What were we talking about?” Daniel asked, now that the David issue was resolved.

“Not important,” Jack answered, walking to his husband and planting a huge, knee-wobbler of a kiss on him.

“Wow!” Daniel exclaimed, his hands warming his Love's back.  “What was that for?”

“My kiss bank is empty, and I need you to fill it up again.  Any objections?”

“For crying out loud, no!” Daniel joked, diving in for another tingling kiss.

As the married couple continued to kiss passionately, there was one thing both knew for sure: money was no match for love in the Jackson-O'Neill home.


~~Finis - Finished - Done - The End - But is it ever Really?~~