Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 3 of Die and Kill for
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
17,856
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
14
Bookmarks:
5
Hits:
4,314

The Circle of Life

Summary:

In dark times you sometimes need to look for a light at the horizon.

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:

Tony opened the door to their new house. Only five months ago they had moved in and yet he loved it. Four bedrooms, three bathrooms, a huge kitchen and a even huger basement. Who said it was a bad thing to have a stinky rich uncle who’s really fond of you and inherited you all his money?

He heard laughing of girls in the living room and if he wasn’t mistaken he smelled the barbecue. He closed his eyes with a soft smile and then entered the house. And he had been right. Lish and Ivi sat in the living room laughing over some letter they were holding between eachother. The glass door leading into the garden stood open and Tony could see Jethro at the barbecue, his eyes never really leaving his three year old son running around with a friend.

„Hey there, sexy."

Tony said and wrapped his arms around Jethro from behind.

„Hey, I didn’t expect you before six."

„Jen gave us off. We’ve been working our asses off lately."

Tony said and softly bit his husbands earlope.

„Daddy!"

„Yes, Dan?"

His son frowned up at him and Tony knew he had done something wrong, he just didn’t knew what.

„It’s Colonell Gibbs."

Jethro explained as the second boy, Matt, came to them and saluted to Daniel.

„No enemies here, sir."

„Then keep looking."

Dan said and the boy went away. Tony softly shook his head and then went to his knees.

„Gunnery Sergeant Daddy, sir!"

Tony said and saluted. Dan grinned and shook his head.

„You’re doing it all wrong!"

Tony frowned and looked at his hand while he saluted again.

„Ask Pa. He’s doing it alright."

With that the cocky three year old ran back to his friend to bark new orders. Tony laughed as he looked at Jethro’s shocked expression.

„Alright? I’ve been in the service before he was a wet dream of you!"

„Well, I guess you don’t have it anymore, do you?"

Jethro raised an eyebrow and gave Tony a smug once over.

„Thought I proved you last night that I still have it more than alright."

Tony shook his head as he looked onto the barbecue.

„Are you cooking for a bus that’s coming?"

Jethro frowned at him.

„You’re not serious, are you?"

For a few moments Tony seriously didn’t know what he could have forgotten.

„Oh, right...Ziva’s bringing her fiancé! I already wondered why Abby said „See you later"...I totally forgot...when are they coming?"

„In about twenty minutes."

Jethro stated and turned the meat, that wasn’t steaks, but smelled just as good.

„Ok, I’ll go and get ready."

Tony quickly kissed his husband and then ran up the stairs.

 

 

 

 

 

 

25 minutes later Tony came back into the garden. His hair were still damp from the shower and he wasn’t completely satisfied with his outfit but the black shirt and the dark blue jeans had to be good enough. He saw that Tim and Abby were already there.

„It’s not fair."

Tim muttered as Tony sat with them at the table.

„What’s not fair?"

„That you gave birth to two children and look even better than before..."

Tony grinned as he poured himself wine. Jethro was reasoning with Daniel and Matt if it was a better strategy to attack the enemy from behind or to go frontal. In the end the small Colonell won and they went into the imaginary battle frontal. Jethro sank into the chair next to Tony and sighed.

„Where’s Lish?"

He asked and looked around the garden.

„Still in the living room with Ivi. I don’t wanna know what they’re planning now."

Jethro nodded his agreement and took a sip of his beer. His daughter always was some kind of trouble maker, never anything really serious but a lot of pranks, and together with Ivi that had increased. He sighed deeply again and then checked his watch.

„Ziva’s late."

„Shocking."

The other three said at once. The door bell rang and a moment later Lish and Ivi appeared with Ziva and a tall good-looking man. The two girls grinned at the man and then sat to the adults at the table.

„Well, guys, this is Jeremy, my fiancé...Jeremy, these are Gibbs, Tony, Tim, Abby...and the girls are Lish and Ivi..."

The boys came running and Dan gave Jeremy an obvious once-over.

„Hey, I’m Jeremy. And you are?"

Jeremy asked nicely.

„Colonell Gibbs, Soldier!"

Daniel barked and then turned on his heels to go back to his game.

„Most of the time we call him Dan, though."

Tony said grinning. Jeremy smiled shakily and sat down with them.

 

 

A few hours later they had finished the dinner and when Tony returned from tucking in Dan, Ziva waited for him at the bottom of the stairs.

„Hey, Tony...could I have a word with you?"

Frowning slightly he nodded and they went into the kitchen. Tony offered her a coffee but she shook her head.

„What do you wanna talk about?"

„Could this stay between us?"

„Is it illegal?"

„No."

Tony took a deep breath.

„And I’ll have to keep it secret from Jethro?"

Ziva sighed and rolled her eyes.

„You can tell Gibbs, but nobody else!"

„Ok, shoot."

She started to pace the kitchen and Tony waited patiently.

„I’m pregnant."

She finally said and Tony’s jaw hit the floor. He had expected a lot, but not that.

„Pregnant? Like, you’re going to have a baby?"

„I think you know pretty well what pregnant means! And that’s why I’m talking to you..."

„Why me? Oh...right, cause I was pregnant twice...well, what can I say? Yes, it will hurt."

She laughed and shook her head.

„I’m aware of that, Tony. The thing is...I don’t know how to tell Jeremy...how did you tell Gibbs?"

He tilted his head, thinking back.

„Well, the first time I accused him of having a damn good aim. The second time I puked."

„What?"

He chuckled at her confused expression.

„When I was pregnant with Lish he came home and I said that he must have a damn good aim since we had sex only once and he managed to knock me up. With Dan...I puked at 4 am and we both knew it."

„He knew that you’re pregnant because you threw up at 4 am?"

„My morning sickness always comes at 4 am. I don’t know why. You’ve been at your doctor?"

She nodded.

„She said I’m 6 weeks along."

He smiled reassuringly at her.

„You’ll find a way to tell him. You love eachother so..."

He shrugged. He wasn’t the best when it came to reassure people. She nodded again but seemed a little disappointed.

„A good way to tell men news is with a sexy outfit."

He grinned mischieve. She shook her head and muttered a „DiNozzo" as she went back into the garden. Tony stayed behind for a moment letting the news sink in. They would have a baby around again.

 

 

 

„Ok, what’s with the smile?"

Jethro demanded as they got ready for bed. They had been in the garden until after midnight. Tony raised an eyebrow.

„What do you mean?"

„You had this sheepish smile since you brought Dan to bed. What’s going on?"

„Well...Ziva told me something."

He said stretching himself to let his husband suffer a little longer.

„And what could that be?"

„In about eight months, we won’t be the only parents anymore."

Jethro’s eyes went wide and he stared at his husband unbelievingly.

„You’re kidding."

„Nope. She told me she’s 6 weeks along. She asked me for advice, can you believe that? Me!"

„What did she wanna know?"

„How to tell Jeremy, nice guy by the way. I told her that a sexy outfit can’t hurt."

Jethro chuckled as he pulled back the covers and climped into the bed.

„I think it’s cool that we’ll have a baby around again."

„Yeah, but you do know that you can’t take it home with you, right?"

Tony grinned and started to kiss Jethro’s neck.

„Ah huh...but we can have all the fun and if the child’s trouble we can give him or her back."

„So, what’s the difference then? You do the same with our children."

Tony stopped spoiling Jethro’s neck to punch him in the side softly and then continued.

„I love babies."

„We could have another one."

Tony froze and then very, very slowly raised his head to look Jethro in the eyes.

„Excuse me? I might be a little dizzy from the erection in my boxers, but did you just say that we could have another baby?"

Jethro turned to look his husband in the eyes.

„You just said you love babies."

Tony sat up and tried to get his thoughts in order.

„Sure...and I do...but...do you really wanna go through all that again? Morning sickness? No sugar, coffee or fat? The pains of a birth, I’m talking about me breaking your hand...the sleepless nights, the uncountable bottles and diapers?"

„Yes, Tony. To all of it. The question is, do you?"

A smile spread over Tony’s face and he kissed Jethro passionately.

„We’re going to make another baby!"

Tony said beamingly.

„Yes, didn’t you say something about an erection in your boxers? That’d be a good start, you know."

Jethro grinned at him and rolled them over so he was straddling Tony.

„It’s the first time we actually plan it. You think it’s going to work?"

„It worked twice already. Why not this time?"

„Because we want it."

Tony said and his expression let Jethro knew that it was something deeper than the new wish for a child.

„Tony, sometimes you can get what you want. There’s noone taking it away from you."

Tony avoided Jethro’s eyes and with that the older man knew that they wouldn’t make the baby tonight. He rolled off his husband and pulled him close instead.

„I’m just not used to get what I want. Everytime I expressed the wish to have something, I sure as hell didn’t get it, and if I did get something I really wanted and they found out that I wanted it they took it away from me."

„You still have me, Lish and Dan. And nobody’s taking us away from you."

Tony buried his face in his husband’s neck.

„You’re an exception. And probably only because you’d kick everybody’s ass who’d try."

„Sure as hell. But I also think that it’s a big part of the meaning of my life to show you that your parents haven’t been right."

Tony sighed softly and snuggled even closer, almost crawling into his husband.

„What did I do to deserve you?"

„My ex-wives asked the same question."

„I still don’t get how they could let you go...not that I’m not happy about it."

„Because I’m a bastard?"

Jethro gave his usual answer and grinned but Tony looked at him and shook his head.

„Because they don’t know the real Jethro."

„And who is the real Jethro?"

Tony shifted a little so he could look Jethro in the eyes and being as close as possible at the same time.

„The real Jethro brings me breakfast to the bed. The real Jethro reads his son a good night story nearly every night. The real Jethro gets his daughter out of trouble at least twice a week. The real Jethro shows me every day how much he loves me. He shows me that I’m appreciated and he doesn’t freak over every oh so little mistake. I think that only five people have ever seen the real Jethro, and two of them are dead."

He closed his speech with a soft kiss and then settled back on Jethro’s chest.

„And I feel extremely happy and lucky that I’m one of those people."

Jethro stroke softly over Tony’s cheek and smiled.

„Thanks."

„Well, I think it’s a big part of the meaning of my life to show you that you’re loved and lovable."

Chuckling Jethro squeezed Tony and then they went to sleep, both smiling.

 

 

 

Two month later.

Tony sat at his desk reading the reports of their last case. Since he had become teamleader about a year ago nearly a dozen probies had passed through, none of them really staying for long. But he had to admit that the new guy, Stuard Gilliam, was a good agent. Of course he was still green and all but nonetheless a good assett to the team. But his phone pulled him out of his thoughts and he answered a little grumpy.

„DiNozzo?"

„A wonderfully good afternoon, Tony. Here’s Sonja."

Smiling Tony turned away a bit to have more privacy.

„Hey, how are you doing?"

„I’m doing just fine. And it happens that I have just received the result of your blood work."

His doctor announced happily. He had a pretty good feeling, judging by her mood but he wasn’t going to push his hopes up.

„Convenient. And I thought you just called to chat. So? What does it say?"

„It says that I will see you a lot in the next eight months. You’re definitely pregnant."

„YES!!"

Tony jumped off his chair and raised his fist in triumph, what got him frowns all around the office.

„Now, this is the reaction I waited for. Anyway, you know the drill. No sugar, caffeine or fat!"

„Yeah, yeah, I know. Sonja, I gotta go. Have to tell Jethro."

„Sure. Call for an appointment."

„Absolutely."

He hung up and already gapped his coat.

„Guys, let’s call it a day. I’m gone!"

Without waiting he was out of the office and left a confused team behind.

„That must have been good news."

Ziva said as she still looked at the elevator. She’d love to know who had brought such a good mood to their team leader.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

„JETHRO!!"

Tony rushed into the house glancing into every room he passed but didn’t find his husband. Standing in the hall after he checked every room of the house he sighed frustrated.

„Never there where you need him."

He muttered and raised an eyebrow. Checking that noone was there he went into the kitchen and opened the fridge. He grinned brightly as a pie was there and his name was written all over it, figuratively speaking. He was just about to reach for it as the front door fell close.

„Hey, you’re already home?"

Sighing he turned around and closed the fridge. ‚No pie for Tony‘ he thought a little sad but that feeling was gone just as fast and he thought he’d let his husband suffer. He put up a neutral face.

„Sonja called me."

Jethro understood immidiatly and his expression was expecting.

„So? What did the test say?"

Tony took a deep breath and looked away.

„Oh, Tony..."

„I’m positive."

Jethro blinked confused.

„Positive? As in you’re pregnant?"

„As in I’m pregnant."

Tony grinned as Jethro’s jaw hung open for a moment.

„And they call me a bastard!"

A second later Tony was hugged tightly for about five minutes with occasional kisses.

„This is so great."

Jethro sighed into Tony’s neck and the younger man squeezed a little tighter.

„How do you wanna tell the others that we’re going to have another child?"

„I thought we could tell them on our tenth anniversary."

„We’re not married for ten years."

Jethro frowned slightly as if he was counting.

„No, we’re not. But next saturday it’s been exactly ten years since we are together. I mean, after you left for Mexico...so, technically, it’s twelve already."

Tony opened the fridge again, looking sadly at the pie but took a bottle of water instead.

„So, you wanna get them all over and tell them?"

„Yup...gotta tell Lish and Dan tonight. I’m sure I’m going to throw up soon. Wouldn’t be good if Dan found me hugging the toilet one night."

Jethro nodded, about to take out the coffee but deciding against it. It shocked him a bit how easily they fell back into their „pregnancy habits".

„Two pregnant persons in the office. I can’t say I’m envious on Tim."

Jethro grinned at his husband and Tony rolled his eyes.


„I’m not that bad."

„Usually you’re not. But I can already see it. You and Ziva bitching around. I bet Ziva’s gonna be bitchy. And you’ll freak when she starts craving and she actually can eat what she wants."

Tony winced slightly and once more glanced at the fridge.

„Thanks for reminding me. I guess I’ll talk to her that she tells the others. It’s only a matter of time until she’s showing too much to hide."

„She’s showing?"

Tony started to grin.

„Yup, she showed me this morning. It’s cool, petite Ziva’s turning fat."

„Yeah, but you won’t be the right to say something about that."

He frowned and then nodded.

„Damn, you’re right. Maybe this wasn’t the best moment to be pregnant again...but then, she’d given it back anyway. Where are the kids anyway?"

„Dan’s with Matt and Lish’s at Ivi’s place. The two of them never go without the other."

Tony nodded absent-minded. At the moment all he could think of was just how great his life had turned out. He had a great husband, two wonderful children and a third on its way. Could it be any better?

 

 

 

„You gotta tell them, Ziva."

Tony reasoned with her but she shook her head vehemently.

„Not yet."

He sighed annoyed. He had tried to convince her without telling her his own news but it didn’t work.

„I’ll tell them tonight..."

„You promised me not to tell!"

She interrupted him. He grinned slightly and took a sip of his decaf, barely hiding the grimace it created.

„I was going to say that I will tell them tonight that I am pregnant again."

She stared at him for a moment.

„You’re kidding, right?"

„Nope. I got the news on tuesday. Went to my doc yesterday and I’m seven weeks along. Which means that we’ll give birth pretty much at the same time. You see, it’s not just that they will know about you someday anyway, and that they are your friends, but it will be a lot to plan. Two of the team will be out of action for some time. I will have to find a way that the team can stay intact through our pregnancies and births."

She sat back on the couch and chewed her tongue for a moment.

„I haven’t told my father yet. Only Jeremy, you and Gibbs know about it...my doctor of course...I don’t know how they will react."

„They will be happy for you, just as happy as for me. They’re our friends, Ziva. And I happen to know that they love to have kids around, they can spoil them and then give them back."

Finally she laughed.

„Are we that bad?"

„Are you kidding? The last time Dan spent the night with Abby he came back with a purple tongue from all the caff-pow!s and I swear he didn’t sleep the whole night....so, you gonna tell them?"

She looked down and then sighed.

„Can we tell them together?"

He smiled and nodded.

 

 

 

 

After the dinner in the garden and after the kids were in bed, though they both had tried to be up longer, the adults had comfortable conversations. But they died away as Tony stood.

„People, I have to make an announcement!"

All eyes were fixed on him. He smiled into the group, pleased by the attention he got so easily.

„First, thanks for coming. I know, it’s not usual to celebrate anniversaries but the one when you got married but I think this is even more important. Anyway, I could do one of those sappy toasts, but I won’t. Let’s not linger in the past and look into the future...and this future brings me to the news. Our group will grow again."

„Another one?"

Abby exclaimed and for a moment they all turned to her, and then back to Tony.

„Well, I wanted to phrase it differently, but yeah, Jethro and I are going to have another baby...and there’s more."

Confused they looked at eachother.

„Ziva is going to join the club...which only consists of me until now..."

Jaws dropped.

„Ziva? Are you?"

She nodded reluctantly. Jeremy squeezed her hand softly and smiled at her.

„That’s so great! Congratulations, Ziva...and you of course, Tony."

Abby finally said and after the shock faded they all congratulated them.

 

 

 

„Daddy? Lish said the baby is in your tummy...how did it get there?"

Dan asked one day as they sat at the table eating lunch. Tony changed a look with Jethro.

„Well, em...if two people really love eachother, like your Pa and I do...and they want to have baby...they make love to eachother...and before you ask, I will explain that some other time. Ok, honey?"

Dan nodded obviously disappointed and Lish grinned. She already had „the talk" so she knew how it worked.

„Don’t."

Jethro warned her and her grin vanished. He shook his head and then glanced at the clock.

„Gotta get ready, Tony."

The younger man checked his watch and nodded.

„Ready for what?"

Dan asked after he had swallowed the last of his lunch.

„Daddy’s having a doctor appointement."

„Are you sick, Daddy?"

„No, honey, the doctor’s making sure that everything alright with the baby."

He tilted his head.

„Is it a boy or a girl?"

„We don’t know yet. Have to wait until it’s out."

„I want a boy. I already have a sister."

Tony chuckled softly.

„But you’d like another sister aswell, wouldn’t you?"

„It’d be ok."

Tony sighed and ruffled the boy’s hair.

„Go upstairs and take what toys you want this afternoon. But not too much. You’re going to stay with Ducky."

„Cool!"

Dan exclaimed and ran up the stairs.

„Don’t run!"

Jethro called after him but he was already gone.

„I’m eight already. Why can’t I watch him?"

Lish asked with her trademark innocent look.

„Cause you’re already trouble when we’re around."

Jethro answered deadpan. Pouting slightly she went up to get what she needed for the time out of the house. Originally she wanted to stay with Ivi (Tony had looked mockingly shocked at that) but the other girl was going to see her grandparents. Speaking of grandparents...

The doorbell rang and Jethro went to open as Tony put their plates into the dishwasher. As he opened the door he looked into the face of an older copy of Tony with grey hair. The man had the same green eyes and whereas they resembled eachother in looks they had nothing in common in appearance. Tony’s eyes seemed warm, like a forrest, but those were cold, just as the man. Jethro knew exactly who he had in front of him but apparently the other man didn’t.

„Are you Anthony’s butler?"

Probably for the first time in his life Jethro was speechless.

„Well, apparently you’re mute. I’m Gregory DiNozzo. I want to see my son."

„Jethro, who...Dad?"

Tony had just come out of the kitchen but had stopped frozen when he saw his father. Jethro watched his husband fight the internal battle against the urge to flee. He didn’t knew what his father had done to him, at least not much. From what little Tony had told him he knew that his mother had been slightly on the other side of sanity but about his father he never talked much. The few moments in which things like „My father gave me a power sander for my last birthday" escaped him it was usually followed by a shaddow of remembered pain, which was gone as quickly as it had appeared. But now this shaddow stayed on the face that had seemed to glow only a few minutes before. His usually warm eyes turned cold and the resemblance to his father increased.

„Shocked to see me, Anthony?"

Suddenly Jethro knew why Tony had asked Ducky to not call him Anthony, and usually the ex ME respected that wish.

„Many words come to mind...what do you want?"

„Marco."

Jethro frowned but Tony seemed to understand immidiatly. He shook his head and looked everywhere but at his father.

„You came for money. Shocking. It’s legally mine. Uncle Marco inherited me everything."

„He’s been a nut job."

Tony laughed hollow.

„You know, maybe that’s why your brother hasn’t left you a thing. The way you talked to him, the way you talk to everybody. Even to Mum."

He rubbed his eyes, he suddenly looked overly tired.

„Just go. Talk to my lawyer, what ever."

„That, actually, is the reason I came."

Without asking for permission he entered the house. Jethro wasn’t sure if he should step in and he stayed ready to throw the man out at once if necessary.

„My lawyer did call your lawyer and then he told me that your lawyer called you Mr. DiNozzo-Gibbs. I was wondering where the Gibbs suddenly came from."

DiNozzo senior raised an eyebrow as Jethro cleared his throat to get the older man’s attention. The coin dropped quite quickly.

„So, it is what I thought. You did marry a man."

„Why would you care? 8 years, Dad! 8 years I’m married and you don’t get it before your brother dies!"

Jethro knew that he had tried to tell his father but the other man wasn’t reachable for more than three weeks and Tony finally had accepted that he didn’t want to talk to him.

„That’s not what I came for."

DiNozzo said firmly and Tony rolled his eyes. He crossed his arms over his chest and looked pretty much like a pouting boy.

„I want at least half of the money."

Tony snorted and let his arms drop.

„You wish! Anyway, most of the money is not reachable anyway."

„What do you mean, not reachable?"

DiNozzo’s voice rose slightly and Tony grinned at the agitated expression. Apparently because he knew that for once it couldn’t have any consequences if he pissed off his father, though Jethro wondered what consequences it had had before.

„Well, half a million went into the house. I bought Jethro and myself a new car. And we invested some of it. Part of it we invested into the education of our children..."

„CHILDREN?"

Tony bit his lip to keep control.

„Yes. We have a daughter and a son. And another one of the way..."

„One the way? You’re pregnant?"

„That’s how it works."

For a long moment there was an icy silence between the two DiNozzos. Jethro saw that Tony just wanted his father to go but stayed at his place, he didn’t want to risk a scene.

„I have an appointment, so if you don’t have anything to say please go."

Tony said overly polite as if he was talking to someone he had never met before.

„I do have things to say."

„Ok, but I don’t care. Go."

„You haven’t changed a bit, Anthony."

Tony closed his eyes, trying to calm himself but anger was boiling in him and he didn’t know how long he could stay in the same room with his father before he would explode.

„Behaviour like this brought your mother so far."

Boom.

„Are you kidding?"

Tony’s voice was high pitched and Jethro knew that now Tony had lost all his control.

„It was your fault that she killed herself!"

Jethro just managed to not let his jaw drop. He knew that Tony’s mother was dead but he had thought she had died on some illness or in an accident.

„She was mentally ill and you didn’t get her the help she needed because it would have been bad for your image! She thought I’m dead! That’s why she killed herself!"

Confused Jethro stood between the two.

„If you had done what I had planned for you it wouldn’t have happened!"

„If you had accepted that I wasn’t your marionette it wouldn’t have happened. If you hadn’t said that for you your son was dead she wouldn’t have thought that. Now get the hell out of my house!"

„Don’t talk to me like that! I’m still your father!"

„Yeah? Well, I guess we have very different definitions of that word. I am a father. Jethro is a father. You are just the man who slept with my mother. Now get out and leave me alone!"

„Anthony..."

„I think Tony made his point clear."

Jethro stepped finally in. His voice was calm but firm and it was clear, at least to Tony, that he wouldn’t accept if his statement wasn’t followed.

„It is my right..."

„He said get out!"

The three men turned to the stairs where Lish and Dan stood. Both had their arms crossed over their chest and shot their grandfather looks of death. Jethro use the moment of confused to seize DiNozzo by the arm and push him out of the door.

 

 

 

 

The silence in the car was icy and even the kids knew that it was better for them to keep their mouth shut. Lish had wanted to ask what had been going on but when she saw that Tony was short of crying she had decided otherwise and shot Dan a look to keep quiet aswell. When they arrived the Ex-ME’s house Tony waited in the car.

„It was good that you didn’t say anything. We will talked about it but let him get to it on his own pace, ok?"

Jethro said as they hugged him goodbye. Ducky raised an eyebrow.

„I’ll explain you some other time."

Jethro said curtly and went back to the car. Even through the windshield Jethro could see that his husband was fighting the tears. He got in silently and started the car. It wasn’t before they were back on the street that Tony spoke.

„He was pissed that I went to Ohio...in a phone call to my uncle he said „my son’s dead to me" and Mum misunderstood. I wasn’t there so she thought I’m really dead. I wasn’t even gone for a week when I got the call that my mother had hung herself in my room."

Unable to find the right words, Jethro just took Tony’s hand. The younger man stared out of the window.

„It wasn’t easy with her. Like I told you and the others before, she dressed me up as a sailor, was into Louis XV, but when I grew older I understood and all I felt was anger because my father didn’t get her the help she needed. I don’t know what illness she had and sometimes I think I don’t even want to know but I’m sure my father had made it worse. You know...I still remember her when she was normal. She was a lovely woman. She was the only reason I stayed at home until I left for college. The only reason I planned on coming back in the holidays. After she died I only entered that house once, just to get all my stuff, and after that my father and I mainly talked over our lawyers. I think apart from today I only saw him at Mum’s funeral."

Jethro clenched his jaw to keep from saying anything. He wanted to insult the man but he didn’t know how Tony would take that, no matter how angry he was.

„You want to clear things between you?"

Tony snorted but kept staring out of the window.

„I don’t think that will ever be possible."

Jethro pulled into a space in front of Dr. Kiefer’s office.

„You want to reschedule?"

Finally Tony looked at him. Then he shook his head.

„The problem with my father won’t be solved tomorrow either. But we need to know that everything’s ok."

 

 

 

 

 

Half an hour later they were asked into the eximination room.

„Hello, Tony, Jethro. Well, Tony, lift up your shirt."

„Gee, Sonja, I’m a married man."

Tony let out his usual joke. Nearly everything had become usual for the three people. Sometimes Tony thought the doctor was just as happy when he was pregnant as his other friends. And that she offered them first name basis after a few appointments with Lish was the reason why Jethro would have never changed the doctor.

„So no dinner afterwards?"

She grinned back at him and he lay down on the slap. She started the machine. After many ultra sounds she didn’t bother to warn Tony that it would be cold anymore. At first she watched the monitor and Tony and Jethro waited patiently that she would turn it towards them.

„Gentlemen, we have a heartbeat."

She announced and Jethro squeezed Tony’s hand.

„Huh..."

„Huh?"

Tony’s voice was slightly anxious at the surprised sound from his doctor.

„Well...this is...ohhh...."

„What is it?"

„How many kids did you want?"

„What?"

They asked simultaniously and stared at Sonja.

„This looks like you’re going to have twins, Tony."

For a moment there was silence and then Tony started to laugh.

„Twins? Yeah, sure...really?"

He sobered quickly.

„Really."

She turned the monitor and showed them the two heartbeats.

„Twins..."

Tony murmured. As usual she printed a picture for them and gave Tony more orders what to eat and what not. He heard that she was talking to him. He also heard that Jethro spoke aswell and somewhere in his mind he knew that they went out and into the car. But it wasn’t before they had stopped in front of Ducky’s house that reality hit him like a slap in the face.

„Twins!"

Jethro startled a bit beside him and looked shocked at him. He turned off the engine and looked out of the windshield.

„Yeah, twins."

„Two more college fees."

Jethro raised his eyebrow and looked at his husband.

„I think that’s the least of our problems, don’t you think?"

„Two more kids to love."

Tony said softly and looked at Jethro. Slowly a smile appeared on the men’s faces and though they would need some time to wrap their heads around it they were looking forward to the new challenge.

 

 

 

 

The elevator opened with a soft ping and announced the arrival of their lunch. They were a bit behind on paperwork so Tony had decided that it was the best to eat in. He rather skipped the lunch break than to pull overtime. He glanced over at Ziva who unwrapped a big burger and fries, then at Gilliam who also had a burger menu. And then he looked up at McGee to see a surpressed grin.

„Your salade."

He said and put the bag onto the desk. Tony gave him a death glare.

„Did you at least bring me something sweet?"

„You know the rules, you only get sweets from Gibbs."

He mumbled a half-hearted protest and went over to glare at the bag. Why did he want another baby?

„Hey, Tony."

He sighed and looked to his right. Ziva had stood from her desk, now obviously showing, and walked over, the burger still in her hand.

„How was your appointment?"

„Fine."

He answered a little pissed and looked down into the green rabbit food that was called lunch. Stupid colesterine and blood sugar...

„Fine? What did your doc say?"

„What should she say? I’m not that far along. Everything’s fine."

He looked up and saw that look that she knew something.

„Something’s up."

She said bluntly. He rubbed his eyes and took a deep breath. ‚Think, Tony, think‘.

„I can’t eat sugar or fat. I can’t drink real coffee and I’m throwing up every night at four am. What do you think, Ziva?"

„All that was the same yesterday. You’ve had a strange glitter in your eyes today."

„I had a good night apart from throwing up. Jethro has a way to distract me from sugar and fat withdrawal."

She raised her eyebrow.

„Not that kind."

Resigned Tony put down the plastic fork and stood up.

„Officer David..."

He said in his boss-tone and she followed him immidiatly into the elevator, fortunately for Tony she left the burger at her desk. As the elevator was between floors he switched the stop button.

„I tell you, just so you stop asking but don’t tell anybody else... I’m having twins."

Her jaw litterly dropped to the floor. Her eyes lit up with a somehow mischieve grin.

„That’s funny. Mr. I-know-all-about-pregnancies is finally in a situation he doesn’t know either."

„Is that all you have to say?"

Her grin turned into an honest smile.

„Hey, it’s great news, isn’t it? Three babies instead of two? They’ll never be alone."

„Two more to make trouble if the first two are any indication. And they’ll always have an accomplice."

She rolled her eyes since his words were betrayed by the grin on his face.

„I guess it won’t be that bad. We have enough money and Jethro is retired so..."

He couldn’t go on as she hugged him tightly. For a moment he was too surprised to react but then he hugged her back. Yeah, life was good.

 

 

 

 

 

As they exited the elevator they both put on a face as if they had fought and went back into the bullpen, where McGee stood with a very serious face.

„What?"

„I just got a call. We have a case."

Tony raised his eyebrow to urge Tim to continue.

„Adress?"

McGee gave Tony a piece of paper and the team leader frowned. But as he read the adress his face paled and he had to sit down or he’d have passed out.

„Tony?"

„McGee, gas the truck, Gilliam, get Jimmy, Ziva, equipment."

Nobody of them moved and Ziva looked confused at her boss.

„NOW!"

He barked and they finally went away. Tony knew that McGee would tell Ziva why he was sitting at his desk like a stone. With shaking hands he reached for his phone and dialed the familiar number.

„DiNozzo-Gibbs. Gibbs, speaking?"

Came the grumpy answer and right now Tony didn’t care. Usually he told him to answer the phone more nicely but this time it really didn’t matter at all.

„Jethro, it’s me."

„Oh, hey, what’s going on?"

Tony took a deep breath.

„I’m gonna stay in long. We just got a case and..."

„Tony, don’t you think McGee can handle the overtime? You know what Sonja said..."

„It’s Jen, Jethro."

At first there was silence.

„Jen?"

„She’s been killed."

He heard his husband swallow and then a long breath.

„Get that bastard."

„I will."

He promised and hung up. There wasn’t much that could keep him in the office anymore. But the murder of the director of NCIS, the murder of their friend, the murder of one of the godmothers of their kids were definitely a reason.

 

 

 

The drive to the all too familiar house Tony spent with thought of what consequences this particular crime could have. The list of suspect would be long and he wouldn’t be too surprised if he found some familiar names on the list. Personally it would be devasting. They had lost a friend and the mourning would be even harder because of their children who have lost somebody they loved. He would have to explain Dan what it means to die and he didn’t even want to think of the questions. A few years back, when Ducky’s mother had passed away they had the same conversation with Lish, but it had only been someone she knew, not someone she saw at least once a week and often stayed with after school. Then they could say that she had been old, but Jen wasn’t that old.

Professionally the case would have consequences, too. They would get a new director and who knew if the new one would put up with Tony’s methods just as much. He had never thought about it before but he and Jethro have been more than lucky with the directors they worked under. And only because they knew them. Morrow just as much as Jen knew that whereas their methods might be questionable the results weren’t and the cases weren’t blown in court because of formalities. It never looked that way but Jethro and Tony both knew very well what they could and couldn’t do.

But all thoughts left his mind as the truck stopped in front of the house he had visited quite regularly in the last years. Swallowing the lump in his throat down he found himself standing in a line with the agents of his team and the ME and his assistant. Only the new assistant and their newest agent changed looks. They didn’t knew Jen as well as the others, they didn’t belong to the family yet.

Tony could see that there was the agent responsible for Jen’s protection, he had an arm reassuringly around Jen’s maid. Tony finally took a deep breath and entered the house.

„Where is she?"

He asked Denis before the man had noticed his arrival.

„In her bedroom."

He said with a hoarse voice. Tony nodded his team to start but remained behind himself.

„When did you find her?"

„Only about half an hour ago. I came to pick her up. She had the morning off and had a meeting scheduled for 1500. When nobody answered the door, I forced it open. Should I call Cynthia?"

„Yeah. Call her and tell her what happened. She should know what to do. But tell her that she shouldn’t say that Jen’s killed to whoever she had a meeting with, except it was the SecNav. I don’t want it to be public just yet. Go back to HQ and write a report. I want every t crossed and every i dotted when I come back."

Denis nodded and went out of the room to make a call. Tony turned to Naomi. Usually he would have smile reassuring but he couldn’t manage.

„Did you notice anything?"

„I had the morning off. When I returned, Denis was already waiting for you."

She answered and Tony nodded.

„I’ll send someone down to take your statement."

He looked at the stairs and it took him all his will to take the flight up to the bedroom. In front of the bedroom he met Ziva who looked pale and she was taking deep breaths. Tony knew that she had seen a lot and usually no crime scene was too hard for her, but the murder of a close friend, combined with her pregnancy apparently was.

„Headshot."

She said breathless and then looked at him.

„It’s not too bad...it’s just..."

„I know. Take as long as you need to."

Tony softly squeezed her arm and went into the room. The sight to the bed was blocked by Jimmy but Tony could see her feet, still in high heels. Swallowing hard he stepped to his ME. Now that he saw her he could understand Ziva. The sight really wasn’t that bad, he had seen worse, but for him it had a completely other assossiation. Jen looked very much like Kate.

„Have you started?"

He asked in a try to focuse on other things than the picture of his two friends with a round hole in their foreheads.

„No. Tim was taking pictures and I made sure Ziva’s ok. I was just about to begin."

With that he stepped to the bed, Tony noticed that his movement was hesitant.

„You don’t have to do it, Jimmy. I could get a ME who hasn’t known her that well."

„Will you give the case to somebody else?"

Tony snorted.

„Like hell!"

„And just as much I will let somebody else do the autopsy."

They looked at eachother in understanding and Jimmy turned back to Jen. As he pushed the liver probe through her skin Tony had to turn away or he would be standing next to Ziva trying to catch his breath and surpress his nausea. He and Jimmy had grown quite close in the time since Jethro and Ducky had retired, Tony liked to think that Jimmy was his Ducky and strangely it seemed to fit. Just as Ducky and Jethro they were completely different but after he had become ME Jimmy found more often than not the courage to stand up to Tony and ground him if he was going too far.

„Want me to check it?"

Confused he looked up at Tim who stood next to him, his eyebrows raised.

„What did you say?"

„I said the murderer must have gotten in somehow. You want me to check the windows and doors first floor?"

„Yeah, that’s a good idea. You’re done with the pictures?"

McGee nodded and then glanced towards the door.

„Ziva wanted to do the sketch..."

„I’m alright."

Came from the door and a moment later the Israeli appeared. She took the pad and started to sketch the scene. Tony checked that she really was alright and then turned to Jimmy as Tim left the room.

„What can you tell me?"

„According to liver temp and temperatur of the room I’d say she died about five hours ago, that would make it between 1030 and 1130. The COD is most probably the headshot but I can say more after I have done the autopsy. What are you thinking, Tony?"

Once more Jimmy had read Tony like an open book (another reason why he thought he was his Ducky). Tony sighed and slightly shook his head.

„This whole situation is so...I think she knew her killer. I mean, she gets shot when her protection detail isn’t here and her maid has off. And in her bedroom. The front door had been forced open by Denis, so it hadn’t been broken before and it’s not a lock you could open with a credit card. And Jen’s been an Agent once...and look at her."

Jimmy looked at the lifeless body again. Her blouse wasn’t closed all the way and her skirt was up slightly. She lay on the bed but it didn’t look as if she had fallen on it.

„You think it has been her lover?"

Jimmy asked and Tony nodded darkly.

„It sure looks that way."

„You know if she’s been dating someone."

Tony shook his head and then rubbed his eyes.

„Bring her home, Jimmy."

„Sure, Tony."

His shoulders were squeezed and he quickly left the room to find McGee. But Tim could only tell him what he already suspected. No sign of forced entry.

 

 

 

 

Several hours later Tony stood at the top of the stairs leading to MTAC. He waited to get a direct connection to the SecNav and used the time to watch his team work and to think. Tim was down in Abby’s lab to go through Jen’s computers and PDA and cell phone. Ziva was checking everybody in her contact list and Gilliam worked through all kinds of appointments Jen had had in the last months. Suddenly Tony hated that he couldn’t be down there and do what he called good old-fashioned policework and instead took care of the big picture. Whereas he now knew how important it was that someone didn’t drown in a huge pile of facts and could see the surface of it all he wanted to do more than to put the jigsaw of information together.

„Agent DiNozzo?"

Tony turned to the young Agent appearing from MTAC.

„We have a connection to the SecNav now."

He nodded and entered the always dark room. Immidiatly he saw the big picture of the man he had never met personally but spoken to more than once via video conference. He put on the headset the young agent held out to him and greeted shortly.

„Sir."

„I hope you have good news for me, Agent DiNozzo."

„Like what? Like I have found the murderer of Director Sheppard and he’s down in Interrogation just waiting for me to interrogate him?"

„I was more thinking like this is all a bad dream."

A humorless smile appeared on Tony’s face but vanished just as quickly.

„I’m sorry, sir. No good news. But fortunately no bad either."

„Can you tell me anything about the killer?"

„Not really, sir. All we know so far is that she must have known her killer. There were no signs of forced entry and...it all looked as if she had let her killer in herself. That isn’t necessarily a good lead but at least we can cross some of the suspects out. Nevertheless it still could be that someone made her trust them, which is most likely."

„Any indication what the motive had been?"

„Well, we can cross out robbery, since nothing was missing, neither valuable objects, nor files or any other information. Her computer was shut down and it was secured by our computer experts. It was hard even for them to get back in. And it surely wasn’t a murder to get heritage, since the main heirs are 8 and 3 years old."

He raised an eyebrow at Tony.

„My kids. She’s been their godmother."

Tony admitted and the SecNav nodded slowly.

„So, we have a list of what? A few hundred names?"

„Sounds about right, sir."

Tony didn’t even try to deny that at this point it was impossible to have somebody stand out.

„I have to meet with somebody I’d like to be her successor. I want to stay informed, Agent DiNozzo."

„Yes, sir."

Tony mentioned to cut the connection and took off the headset. He had been tempted to ask for a name, but decided against it.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Jethro stood in the kitchen making sandwiches for Lish and Ivi. The two had returned late from their after school activity and now were hungry. Dan sat at the kitchen table and played with his plastic soldiers. Jethro had chosen to wait to tell his children about Jen until Tony was home, whenever that would be. He knew that now there was no reasoning with his husband and therefore he didn’t even try. He knew if he was still an Agent he wouldn’t sleep until he got that bastard, and that day he had been tempted to storm back into the office and command his badge back.

The door bell pulled him from his thoughts and Dan was already about to get up.

„Stay here, I’ll open."

Jethro ordered and Dan went back to his soldiers. He ruffled the boy’s hair to make up for his gruff tone and went out to the front door. As he opened he looked shocked into the face of a man he only knew from video conferences. To see him, SecNav James Edwards, not only life and in colour, but flesh and blood, in front of him, seemed more than surreal.

„Sir."

He said automatically and frowned slightly over himself.

„May I come in?"

Jethro stepped aside. Just then he noticed what a mess the house was. It wasn’t that bad, really, but for a neat ex-marine like Jethro it was, especially if the SecNav turned up.

„Dan, leave us alone, please."

Jethro said and the boy turned to their visitor.

„Who are you?"

He asked bluntly and the SecNav smiled.

„I’m Jim. What’s your name?"

„Daniel."

Jethro raised his eyebrow at his son who didn’t seem to go anywhere.

„And you’re a great commander, I see. It works better to have a strong attack line, defense shouldn’t be as large."

„You know something about war?"

Dan asked sceptically.

„He’s the SecNav."

Jethro said and Dan’s eyes went wide.

„Really? I wanna be a Marine, sir!"

„Well, then grow up and you’ll be one."

Jim smiled and Jethro finally shushed his son out of the room.

„Care for coffee?"

„Sure. You have a nice son."

„Thanks."

Jethro put a cup on the table and took his own.

„What can I do for you, sir?"

Jim sighed and sat at the table, mentioning Jethro to do so, too.

„I’m not sure if you heard already, but Director Shepard died this morning."

Jethro nodded darkly.

„My husband told me."

„Your husband?"

Jethro looked up and was relieved to see only curiosity in the other man’s eyes and not disgust or anything like that.

„Anthony DiNozzo, he’s working the case."

„Ah, yes, Agent DiNozzo. I talked to him not too long ago."

For a few moments they were both silent.

„So, what did you come for...sir?"

He added the formal name to make the question sound more polite. The SecNav cleared his throat and leaned forward in his seat.

„NCIS needs a new director."

Jethro looked at him, waiting for a name or anything but when nothing came the coin dropped.

„ME?"

„You have been one of the best Agents NCIS had and you have the experiences needed. You worked with politicians before and you can stand your ground...to be honest, Director Shepard herself has thrown your name into the mix when I had dinner with her once. We were talking hypothetically back then but she had good arguments and I think you would be the best for the job."

Jethro shook his head and tried to think of a way to explain why he couldn’t take the job.

„You see, I’m flattered, but my husband and me...we decided to have another child...and one turned into two...we’re expecting twins and Tony is counting on me that I’ll take care of them while he is working."

„Well, NCIS has a very good day care for children between 1 and 10 and he has a right for one year parental leave so..."

„Yeah but...I’m retired."

Jim frowned and shook his head.

„As far as I know you’re taking personal leave and you have more than a week left."

Jethro shook his head and couldn’t help smiling.


„Jen."

He muttered but then looked at the SecNav.

„Seriously, sir. I think you can find somebody better for the job."

Jim nodded and leaned back. He took a sip of his coffee and then shrugged.

„Well, then it’ll be Agent Clarence."

Jethro’s eyes widened. Clarence was probably the worst agent he ever met and he couldn’t stand his ground, period. To have him as director would mean that all cases with questionable jurisdiction would be turned over quickly, they wouldn’t get more money than absolutely necessary, which means much less than necessary.

„I guess he will like..."

„I’ll do it."

Jim raised one eyebrow.

„But just until you found somebody better for the job. But not Clarence."

The SecNav smiled smugly and Jethro knew that he had been tricked into the job. Suddenly he knew that he had done a big mistake to take the job without talking to Tony, but on the other hand, he could always quit.

„Very well then. It would be perfect if you could start right away."

Jim rose from his chair and held out his hand to Jethro.

„And please, call me Jim."

„Jethro."

He answered as he shook the man’s hand shortly. As Jim was in the door he turned again.

„And say bye to your son."

 

 

 

 

 

 

Tony sat at his desk and sighed heavily. He was going through the list Ziva, Gilliam and McGee had drawn out for him but yet there wasn’t anybody standing out. He just reached for his phone to ask Jethro if he knew if Jen was seeing someone when there was a cup put in front of him. He looked up to see his husband standing in front of his desk.

„Decaf."

Jethro clarified but that wasn’t the answer to the question that was forming in Tony’s mind.

„You didn’t come to work the case, did you? You retired, remember?"

„Actually, I’m on personal leave, as I was informed. Could I have a word with you?"

Tony frowned but followed Jethro into the breakroom. However the older man didn’t seem to say something soon.

„Jethro, I really don’t have the time for this. What did Lish do this time?"

Jethro grinned shortly despite the situation but then looked serious.

„Tony, I agreed to be director."

For a long moment Tony only stared at him.

„Of NCIS?"

„No of the local motocycle club, of course of NCIS."

„I’m sorry, Jethro, but when did you decide that you want to be director? And why the hell didn’t you talk to me first? What’s with the kids? The twins? Someone has to watch them! Or do you want me to quit? I love my job and you never wanted to become director!"

Jethro raised his hands in a gesture of surrender.

„I know I should have talked to you first. And as weird as it sounds, I was tricked into it. The SecNav spent me a visit and said that it’s me or Clarence."

„Clarence?"

Tony asked with big eyes and suddenly he understood why Jethro had agreed.

„I said I would do it until they found somebody better for the job. I’m not asking you to quit, Tony. You can take your parental leave and then we’ll see. Maybe they found a new director until then. And if not there’s still day care."

Tony sighed and then nodded.

„Alright...When do you start?"

„Now."

A small grin appeared on Tony’s face and he kissed Jethro softly.

„That means I can call you boss again. I mean without people thinking I’m kinky."

„People will always think you’re kinky just because you’re with me."

Jethro grinned back and they went out of the breakroom.

„I will need an hour to get used to the office. I’d like to see you then."

Tony raised his eyebrow invitingly.

„For a report."

Jethro said firmly but a smile lurked around the corners of his mouth. Tony went back to his desk and it wasn’t before he sat that he acknowledged the questioning looks of his subordiants.

„We have a new director."

He said and for a moment they stared at him and then followed Jethro with their eyes as he walked up the stairs.

„You’re kidding!"

„Nope."

Tony gave back and then looked onto his desks. There weren’t any new files.

„Don’t you have work to do?"

He barked and Ziva and Gilliam went back to work quickly. Satisfied he smiled and then went down into the lab to share the news with Abby and Tim. Strangely they didn’t react as surprised as Gilliam and Ziva.

„We already expected that the SecNav would ask him."

Abby said looking up from the computer just long enough to shoot Tony a look. Tim nodded in agreement.


„Yeah, we didn’t thought it would that easy to convince Gibbs, though. We thought he’d put up more of a fight."

Tony had shook his head and left the lab a few minutes later. It was about an hour after Jethro had shown up that Gilliam put a file onto the plasma.

„Alexander T. Kramer. Had been Major of the Marine Corp, retired three years ago. He had a company running beside his career in the Corp and now that’s his full time job."

„And why am I looking at his face?"

Tony asked slightly impatiently.

„Because he and Director Shepard talked on the phone over fourty times in the last month."

Tony nodded slowly and then raised his eyebrow.

„Any other reason to add him to our suspect list?"

Gilliam looked at Ziva searching for help. Tony took a breath but before a single word left his lips Ziva spoke, immitating Tony’s voice badly.

„I want to know everything about him. Where he went to school, kindergarten, what diapers he had a shit in and if you still haven’t found anything I want to know what diapers his parents had a shit in."

She gave him a look and started to type on her computer. He took another breath but once more she was faster, this time in her own voice.

„You’re going up to the director and we will call you if anything turns up."

A little pissed Tony gave her glare but then went up the stairs into the office.

 

 

As he opened the door he was about to say something but it died away as he saw Jethro sitting behind the desk. It seemed like an eternity that he stood there watching Jethro.

„What’s wrong?"

„I know it sounds crazy...but I was expecting somebody else."

Jethro nodded in understanding.


„Yeah, me, too. What do you have for me?"

Tony sighed and sank into the chair opposite Jethro.

„To be honest, not much. Jen’s been pretty closed up. I know it had nothing to do with heritance. It wasn’t a secret that she inherited nearly everything to Dan and Lish, since she had no living relatives. Neither I think it was a terrorist attack. There would have been threats or anything. Or at least there would be something now. All we have now is a list of people who could have a grudge against her. And we have an ex-Marine she talked to a lot."

Jethro raised his eyebrow. Apparently he immidiatly thought he was that ex-Marine. Tony shook his head.

„Someone called Kramer. She talked to him over fourty times in the last four weeks. And whereas it would fit to the crime scene if she had been killed by her lover we’re still missing the motive."

„Maybe the motive to kill her was the same as to sleep with her."

Jethro offered and Tony nodded.

„That’s what I’ve been thinking. But we still don’t have it. I guess she didn’t tell you about a lover?"

The older man shook his head and leaned back in the chair. It felt wrong to sit here although she wasn’t even dead for a day.

„Jethro, I know you won’t like what I say now, but I think it would be approbiated to have protection detail for you and the kids. At least until we know what we are really dealing with here."

Surprisingly Jethro nodded.

„Whereas I think I’m perfectly capable of looking after myself I agree concerning Lish and Dan. And it’s still possible that the murderer is somebody we know aswell."

With that Jethro nodded towards the door and dismissed Tony.

 

 

 

 

Tony rubbed his eyes tiredly. They have been working nonstop since they got the call and still they didn’t knew how Kramer was connected to Jen. McGee had offered to go to him but Tony wanted to know more first. His gut was telling him that Kramer at least was in it and he prefered letting him think he was safe rather than giving him information. Neither Jen’s maid nor any of the agents who were protecting her knew about a lover. Although he wasn’t surprised to hear that he knew that it was stupid of Jen.

But still, Tony didn’t knew if he had been her lover. Until now they haven’t found any other connection though. He sighed and put the picture of Kramer onto the plasma. He had send McGee and Ziva to question some of the people Jen had met in the last weeks and Gilliam was down with Abby giving her a hand. Tony stood and stared into the face of the man. The dark brown eyes which had seemed warm when he first looked at the picture were now cold as eyes and the almost not there smile seemed as if he was laughing at Tony.

„Taking over the habit of staring at your enemy?"

Tony didn’t even startle at the voice of his husband right behind him. He couldn’t take his eyes off the screen.

„Why do you think he’s my enemy?"

„I know that look, Tony. I have seen it in many eyes before. Even in mine."

He felt Jethro getting even closer until only inchs were between their bodies. He could feel his breath warm on his neck and his voice was nothing more than a whisper.

„I know that your gut is wrenching just from thinking of him. I know that you will not be satisfied until you have him down."

His eyes narrowed on the picture and he thought he definitely must be kinky, since there was no other explanation why he reacted on his husband like this right now. He turned around without bringing more distance between them.

„Elevator. Now."

He wasn’t able to form a complete sentence anymore. There was no need anyway. When he saw Jethro’s eyes darken with lust he knew that his husband had understood him very well. They hurried to the elevator. It was already past eight and most agents had went home, though more than one had offered Tony help with the case. But all that was forgotten, all Tony cared about right now was to have his husband somewhere where he could have what he needed the very most. Contact.

The moment Jethro had stopped the car Tony was pinned against the wall and had a hungry mouth over his. It seemed as if they hadn’t been close to eachother in weeks, although it had barely been a day. Tony buried his hands in the salt and pepper hair of his husband and pulled him even closer. The kiss was too passionate, too wild. It couldn’t get the intensity they usually had but, although it was what they were looking for, they were both too eager to prove that they were still alive.

Tony felt his shirt be pulled from his pants and buttons were opened hastily. He didn’t wait too long to do it after Jethro and growled slightly when he realized that he had to open buttons aswell, because Jethro chose to wear a dress shirt instead of a polo shirt that day. A muffled moan left Tony when Jethro grapped through his pants, a little too tight to be comfortable. But nevertheless his dick hardened further and before he had realized what had happened his pants were pulled down, the mouth over his vanished and reappeared at his cock, taking him in, sucking him almost painfully hard.

He fought hard not to cry out in pain-pleassure. His hands tightened in Jethro’s hair and pulled him deeper. He had his eyes closed and his head back against the wall. With his hands he forced Jethro to take him how he wanted it and the older man let his happen. It barely happened that Tony lost control like this but right now he fucked Jethro’s mouth, forcing himself as deep as he could into the other man’s throat and after barely five minutes he came hard enough to see stars. All his body went limp and he merely felt the arms steadying him as he slit down the wall to sit on the floor.

The mouth over his returned with slow thorough kisses. Tony felt Jethro’s breath hitch against his skin and he slowly opened his eyes. The other man sat next to him, turned so he could still kiss his husband and gave himself the pleassure Tony was too out to give. Finally Tony realized how one sided their love making, although he had trouble to think of it as that, so he reached over and help Jethro stroking him to an orgasm, that wasn’t as earth shaking as his, but at least satisfying.

„I’m sorry."

He mumbled as he collapsed against his husband. Jethro put his arms around his and squeezed tightly.

„It’s alright."

Tony looked up at the strangled sound of Jethro’s voice. Slowly he returned to his usual self and worry took over.

„Did I hurt you?"

„It’s ok, Tony. It was what you needed. And I could have stopped it."

He kissed Tony to emphasize his words and then moved to stand up. He fumbled a handkerchief out of his pocket and cleaned Tony’s hand, then his own and his dick, before he tucked himself away and gave Tony a hand to stand. Once on his feet and dressed properly he buried his face in his hands.

„What?"

„I can’t believe I let myself go like that."

Jethro forced Tony’s hands down and his chin up. He kissed him softly.

„It’s always hard to lose a friend, Tony. It had to come out some way or another. This was our way."

Tony nodded slowly but he still didn’t look much better.

„I actually came into the bullpen to tell you that I’m going home. I was going to explain Lish and Dan why there are Agents all around our house. Can you promise me to not work all night?"

„No."

Tony smiled slightly and Jethro returned it.

„That’s what I thought."

He restarted the elevator.

„Don’t focuse only on Kramer. He still could be only a friend."

„And Ari was just a mole."

Tony shot Jethro a look and left the elevator. The older man knew that he wouldn’t see much of his husband outside the office until the bastard was down, no matter if it was Kramer or not.

 

 

 

 

At three am, three hours after he had sent his team home Tony finally had entered his house aswell. He had gone to the bedroom and made up for the almost brutal sex in the elevator with sweet love making, and this time he concentrated solely on Jethro’s pleasure. At 7 am sharp, he stepped out of the elevator, his husband at his side and strolled to his desk, a determined but, given the situation, calm expression on his face.

However his jaw tightened when he saw feet popped up on his desk, and he knew that Italian leather shoes. Jethro had noticed aswell and stopped a few steps away from the desk. Tony kept walking until he was facing the man in his chair, reading GSM.

„Good morning, DiNozzo. Comfortable chair, gotta give you that. Oh, Director Gibbs. Director Fornell is waiting upstairs in your office."

Jethro’s eyes narrowed on the stairs which he hurried up a moment later. Tony still stood unmoving in front of his desk and gave the other man only a death glare.

„Awe, c’mon, DiNozzo. It’s been years."

„Three, to be exact, and if I hadn’t taken a walk my daughter would have been stuffed like some dachshund! What the hell do you want here, Sacks?"

Tony had put his hands on top of his own desk and now Sacks closed his magazin and sat up.

„What do you think why Fornell came to speak to your husband?"

Tony’s eyes never left the other man’s. He knew very well why the two of them had come and he could imagine what was going on in that office now. Maybe it had been a good idea to make Jethro director. Sacks stood up and walked around the desk.

„Listen, DiNozzo, we’ve both changed a lot."

Tony shook his head and took the place Sacks had abandoned.

„I have a hard time believing that."

Sacks raised his hand to revielle a golden wedding band. Tony raised his eyebrow.

„So, just because you’re married I have to like you?"

„I don’t ask you to like me. But we both know what the outcome of the conversation up there will be. It’s easier if we work together instead of against eachother. And I’m not just thinking of this case. We both have seen Gibbs and Fornell work together and I think you have seen it as much as I have that they did work together. Inter-agency connections are really important and since we have probably the two most stubborn directors ever, we will have some shared investigation. We have met before and we will meet again, DiNozzo. You know how it goes."

Tony leaned back in his chair and looked at the other man for a long moment.

„You didn’t believe for one second that I’m innocent."

Sacks sighed exasperated and looked around.

„Ok, I do admit that I was wrong. But you have to remember who you really are and who you were supposed to be. I didn’t know that you were dating your boss. Hell, I had no idea you were interested in men. It would have been so easy to convince me. But your speech in interrogation about women didn’t necessarily help."

Before Tony could start going all over Sacks for admitting that he was wrong his phone rang.

„DiNozzo?"

„Tony, get up into my office. And bring Sacks."

„Sure, boss."

Tony hung up and then looked at the FBI Agent.

„Ok, we will work together in future."

He stood and was about to go upstairs as he stopped again.

„We don’t have to tell them, do we?"

For a moment they looked at eachother and then answered together.

„Nah."

 

 

 

 

As Jethro exited the elevator he felt much better than the day before. The stone that had build in his chest when he heard about his friend’s death was still as heavy as when he had heard the words from Tony’s mouth and he was still craving revenge but he was relieved that Tony had apologized on a non-verbal way for his abuse in the elevator. He didn’t really know what to expect from his grieving husband who seemed to take Jen’s death even harder than he did, and he wasn’t necessarily looking forward to it if yesterday was anything to go by.

There are many ways to mourn. He knew that, hell, he probably had invented one or two, but the whole night he had surpressed the urge to tell Tony that there was no satisfaction in revenge. He had killed the murderer of his first wife and daughter, he had seen Ari die, and still neither of the deaths helped him to come over the loss he felt. It brought some feeling of justice. But in some nights he still thought he was going to suffocate from the pain and the only thing that kept him from crying out loud was Tony’s presense next to him.

They walked into the office, Tony’s warmth sinking through his shirt and giving him strengh, but it was as if somebody emptied a bucket of ice water over his head when he saw Italian leather shoes, like the ones Tony had insisted to have last week, popped up on his husband’s desk. Jethro knew immidiatly what it meant and when he saw the face of the man he despiced deeply for trying to bust his back-then-boyfriend for slauthering a woman, he knew he’d see his old friend Tobias again.

„Good morning, DiNozzo. Comfortable chair, gotta give you that. Oh, Director Gibbs. Director Fornell is waiting upstairs in your office."

Ignoring the sarcastical tone he turned to the stairs. Preparing for his first real action with directional authority he walked up the stairs. Cynthia made to stand and tell him that Tobias was waiting for him but he waved her to sit.

„I know that Fornell’s there."

She gave him the „you know everything"-look but didn’t say anything. He stormed through the doors into his own office – which still felt weird – and hoped to startle the other man – of course it didn’t work.

Fornell sat in front of his desk, Jethro was surprised that he didn’t sit on his chair, and looked at him with a light smirk.

„Happy to see me?"

„Am I ever?"

The smirk turned into an outright grin but he sobered quickly.

„I know that the times are dark, Jethro. Jen’s been my friend aswell."

„I know, Tobias."

„How’s Tony holding up?"

Jethro sank into his chair and sighed deeply.

„I have no idea. The one moment he looks as if he’s going to break down and in the next moment his eyes tell me that he wants blood. Sometimes it even seems as if he doesn’t care at all. Usually I can read him but this time..."

He looked at his friend and raised an eyebrow.

„You didn’t come to ask about the wellbeing of my husband."

„No. Whereas I do care, I didn’t come for that. I think you know very well why I came."

„Oh, yes, I do. And all I can tell you is that you made the way for nothing. I won’t turn this case over."

Fornell sighed softly and sat up in his chair.

„Jethro, do we really have to fight about this? It’s a matter of national security."

„Yeah? Why?"

„Because the director of a federal agency was killed!"


Jethro squared his shoulders in a try to work out the kinks – it didn’t help.

„There is no indication that the intented victim was the director of NCIS and not Jen Shepard."

„I seriously hope you’re not counting on that and you’re not walking around without protection!"

„Four agents for Lish and Dan, secure car and two agents for me and Tony will be followed where ever he’ll go. He would never agree to protection detail."

Fornell nodded relieved. It didn’t shock Jethro anymore that Tobias cared that openly for him and his family. They had went through enough shit together to admit that they actually were friends.

„Did it have to be Sacks?"

Tobias laughed shortly.

„Jethro, Ron is a very good agent, reminds me of myself a lot. And Tony reminds me of you, especially since you retired. Believe me, once they worked out what stands between them they’ll make a good team."

„If Sacks had gotten his mind Tony would be behind bars now and I wouldn’t have a family."

Before Tobias could answer Jethro waved it away.

„I know what you mean. Still, this is our case."

„Jethro, who said that I was going to take it away from you? I just want to be in it...or rather to have Ron in it."

Jethro sighed and then grapped his phone.

„Tony, get up into my office."

In an afterthought he added, „ and bring Sacks."

He shot Tobias a look and leaned back in his chair.

„If you tell anybody that I gave in that easily I’ll kill you."

Tobias grinned and a moment later the doors opened and Tony stormed in.

„I got a secretary for a reason."

Jethro couldn’t help saying and grinned. For a second Tony’s pissed expression faded only to reappear quickly.

„You wanted to talk to me, director?"

Jethro raised one eyebrow but decided that this wasn’t the right moment to fight about titles.

„You will work together with Agent Sacks on this case."

„What? It is our case! It had been right from the beginning! She was our director! What has the FBI to do with it?"

Tony demanded and Jethro took a deep breath. Usually it had been him standing in Tony’s place.

„It is possible that the murder is the beginning of a plan with consequences on the basis of national security."

„Jesus, you’re already talking like some politician!"

„HEY! That’s not fair! It is my job to decide these kind of things and just because you..."

Jethro stopped and then looked at Tony, then at Sacks and back at Tony.

„You two already agreed to work together."

Tony changed a look with Ron and then sighed.

„How did you know?"

Jethro grinned at him.

„Tony, I know you for 15 years. You’re pretty much an open book to me."

„And still you don’t know what I want for Christmas."

A mischief grin appeared on Jethro’s face and his voice was low when he spoke.

„You really want to discuss that in front of the director of the FBI?"

Tony shuddered for a moment but then raised his eyebrow.

„How far will this go? Are they involved as long as the motive is unclear or for the duration?"

„Duration. And no point to complain. It’ll do you good."

Tony snorted and then nodded at Ron.

„C’mon, I’ll give you a report..."

 

 

 

 

Sacks sighed deeply after Tony had gone through nearly all suspects, which were a lot.

„Are we finally through?"

„She’s been the director, what did you expect? That everybody loved her? Anyway, we do have someone who’s got my attention."

Tony pushed a button and the picture of Kramer appeared on the screen again. Sacks looked at the man for a moment and then turned to Tony who seemed to think of the worst – or best – way to kill Kramer.

„Why?"

„Huh?"

„Why did he get your attention?"

Tony sighed and finally looked away from the icy eyes.

„He and Jen talked quite a lot in the last month but we couldn’t find any connection."

„That doesn’t have to mean that he killed her."

Tony nodded his agreement and was about to pull up the pictures of the crime scene, but he decided against it, hencing all the agents around. He put them on his computer screen and Sacks took a look.

„Apart from the head shot she looks like..."

„...about to have sex."

Tony finished and the FBI Agent nodded hesitantly.

„So, you think she and Kramer...?"

Tony sighed again and pinched the bridge of his nose.

„It is possible. But it could be somebody else and I’m just looking for somebody to blame since I can’t blame myself."

„Why should you blame yourself?"

„Because that’s what we do if one of our friends dies...it has been what we do..."

His phone spared him from explaining further.

„DiNozzo...ok, we’re on our way..."

He hung up and straightened. He looked around. Ziva and McGee were still questioning people and he didn’t expect them to return before lunch. Gilliam was down with Abby again, and it’d do him good.

„So, it’s just you and me to go down."

„Who was it?"

„Jimmy, our ME. He’s finished."

 

 

 

 

The doors slid open and the silence in the morgue was complete. Tony entered and felt like in a bizarre dream. The body on the slap was covered from head to toe but he knew what was hiding underneath.

„Tony."

Startled he span around to find Jimmy at his desk next to the door. He let out the breath he hadn’t noticed he was holding.

„I was expecting you to come down here before now."

„I was busy, Jimmy...you know Agent Sacks, FBI?"

„We have met."

Jimmy said closed up but Tony shot him a look that said „he’s alright". Jimmy nodded and took the notepad.

„Well, as very obvious, the headshot was the cause of death and my estimated TOD was also correct."

„Anything new?"

„Yes. She has had definitely sex. And as carefully the murderer had been, her lover wasn’t. I found residue of sperm in..."

„So we have the killer’s DNA!"

Tony interrupted before Jimmy could say something he didn’t want to hear.

„Well, we do have the DNA of her lover. And before you ask, I send it up to Abby. She told me you haven’t seen her yet either."

„She has my number, hasn’t she?"

„Oh, I don’t think she was complaining. She seems to like Stuard."

Raising his eyebrow, very much like Jethro when he didn’t want to understand an innuendo, Tony didn’t really answer that.

„Anyway, as much as the situation indicates that it had been her lover it still could be that she was getting dressed and was surprised by the murderer."

Sacks intervened the silent conversation between Tony and Jimmy.

„Or she got ready for a second go round. Anything else, Jimmy?"

„Em...yeah. But I’ll have to show you."

A big lump formed in Tony’s throat but he nodded curtly. Jimmy went over to the slap and lifted the cover from the buttom to reveille the legs. Somehow Tony felt lucky that what ever Jimmy wanted to show him wasn’t higher up. The ME pulled on some gloves and pushed the legs slightly apart.

„I thought it would be a good idea to be thorough."

„That means you’re usually not?"

Tony glanced up to see the ME grin at him. Jimmy shut off the lights and took a UV light. He raised it over the right inner thight.

„Jesus..."

Slacks muttered next to Tony and he could only nod in agreement.

„A hidden message on her inner thigh...Jethro won’t be happy."

Tony could see from the corner of his eyes that Sacks was tilting his head that much that Tony feared he’d disarrange his neck.

„It’s says „Not the last"."

He said slightly pissed and gave the FBI Agent a look.

„Ok, that’s quite...blunt."

„Ya think?"

Before Sacks or Jimmy could react Tony was already on his way to the door.

„Thanks, Jimmy. Are you waiting for invitation, Sacks?"

 

 

 

 

 

 

The doors to the lab opened with the familiar whizz. After they had left the autopsy Tony hadn’t said a word and judging his expression Sacks had chosen not to break the silence.

„No, no and no!"

Tony stopped and raised one eyebrow before he entered completely. The music was turned down to something you still could hear yourself think but the atmosphere in the lab was tensed.

„Abby!"

Her haid popped up behind one of the monitors, and her dark expression darkened even more when she saw Sacks.

„Agent..."

„Sacks. FBI. What the hell is he doing in my lab?"

„He’s alright, Abby."

She opened her mouth to say something about it but Tony raised his hand.

„We talked about it, Abs. Now, what have you got for me?"

„Em...ok, let’s see...the DNA Jimmy sent me is still running. And...em...the message on her thight was written with her own saliva."

„Anything new, Abs?"

She took a deep breath but then shook her head.

„Whereas our lover hasn’t been very careful, the murderer was. No fingerprints in the room, no other signs of him...or her...not even of Jen. The room’s been wiped clean. The bedcloth has been changed and apparently he had taken the stuff with him since there was nothing in the washing room, as Tim told me."

„Wait...how do you know that they have been changed?"

Sacks asked and all others rolled their eyes.

„You’re married, right?"

Tony asked but Sacks didn’t get it.

„Yeah?"

„How often does it happen that you sleep with your wife and the bedcloth is as clean as freshly washed?"

„Oh..."

Tony nodded as finally the coin dropped and turned back to Abby.

„So, it all looks as if the murderer had been the same person that slept with Jen."

„True enough...though I don’t get why he didn’t use a condom."

Tony sighed deeply.

„Couldn’t it be that he had used a condom but it leaked?"

„We would have found latex residue. And I tested for it."

Tony changed a look with Sacks but then something caught his eyes.

„Purple gloves!"

He exclaimed. Gilliam who had just carried some evidence over to the table they stood at looked first at his boss and then at his hands, which were in purple gloves.

„Em...yeah?"

„Latex-free condoms!"

For a moment they still looked puzzled at him but then Abby slapped herself on her forehead.


„God, you’re right! Latex-free condoms! I’ll test it right away!"

She ran over to the massspectrometer and started hammering onto the buttons.

„Gilliam! I need you on your desk! I want to know if Kramer has a latex-intolerance!"

Stuard nodded and was off a moment later. Tony took another deep breath as he slowly exited the lab.

„What you wanna do now?"

„Well, I’m still waiting on a full report on Kramer."

„You shouldn’t only think about him."

Tony shot Ron a look that said more than a thousand words.

„I’ll go up and give Jethro a head up."

„Ok, let’s go."

Tony put his hand on Ron’s chest to stop him.


I will go."

„I know how to work with somebody like him."

„No, you know how to work with Fornell. But Fornell had time to get used to be director. Jethro’s director for not even two days and his term started with the murder of a good friend! He won’t be easy now. And believe me, I’m the only one who knows how to work with him right now."

 

 

 

 

Without waiting for Cynthia Tony opened the door to Jethro’s office and was about to rush in but he stopped in the doorway. Jethro sat as expected behind his desk, but in front of him sat their daughter.

„Very good, Tony. Did Cynthia reach you?"

„Em...no...I wanted to give you a report..."

Lish turned to him with big blue eyes.

„Ok, what did she do?"

„Actually, she did nothing. That’s the problem. She didn’t do her homework for the fifth time this week and she didn’t spent attention in class."

Tony closed his eyes and took a deep breath.

„I was just about to talk with her about it. Her teacher told me when I called because of the Agent who should pick her up."

Tony nodded and sat in the other chair in front of Jethro’s desk. He turned the chair so he was facing his daughter and raised an eyebrow.

„Explanation, young lady?"

„Itsbornnn..."

„Excuse me?"

„It is boring."

Lish repeated, this time loud and clearly. However, for the first time when she was in trouble, she didn’t look at them. Probably she knew that this time she was knee-deep. Jethro was about to open his mouth but Tony was quicker.

„Lish, go down into day care. Tell Agent Sullivan I told you to."

She nodded, knowing that it wouldn’t help to argue. The moment she had closed the door Jethro went all over Tony.

„Why the hell did you send her down? This time she did it! This is serious, Tony! I think we did it wrong when we let so much pass. Apparently she doesn’t have respect for us!"

„Jethro, didn’t you hear what she said? She said school is boring."

„So? Most kids think school’s boring!"

Tony shook his head, forgetting about the case for a moment.

„I did homework with her for a while. She had it done in no time. Maybe this class doesn’t ask enough of her or..."

„Or?"

Jethro urged on and Tony looked for the best way to say it but he didn’t find another than the obvious.

„Or she doesn’t have respect."

Jethro sat back in his chair and licked his lips.

„So? What do you wanna do? Tell her that it’s ok?"

„No. We talk to her but not as if she had done it all wrong. We should have checked that she’d doing her homework...we talk to her and ask her why she is bored in class. And depending on what she tells us we can talk to her teacher."

Finally Jethro nodded.

„Works for me...you wanted to give me a report? Does that mean you actually found something?"

„Yes, we did, well actually it was Jimmy who found something. Good news first."

„That means there are bad news."

Jethro raised one eyebrow and Tony nodded.

„Good news. We got Kramer’s DNA...I take that back. We have the DNA of Jen’s lover. It’s still running."

„Well, that’s only good news if the perp is in a databank. Though it will tell us if it had been Kramer or not."

Tony chewed his tongue and then decided to just go on.

„Anyway, since the bedroom was that clean, Abby’s checking if the perp has worn a latex-free condom which leaked. And the bad news are that Jimmy found a note written with Jen’s saliva on her right thigh."

„Which said?"

„Not the last."

Jethro closed his eyes for a moment and then looked at his computer screen. For a moment Tony wondered what was there, if anything was there.

„Yeah...I expected something like that...ok, tell me if there’s anything new. Dismissed."

„Sure, boss."

Tony stood and went to the door.

„Tony."

He turned around and Jethro stood and walked over to him.

„Keep looking after yourself. And I’m not just talking about work."

He put a hand on Tony’s belly, which the younger man covered with his own.

„No caffeine, no sugar, no fa..."

Jethro put his finger on Tony’s lips and the words died away. The older man smiled softly as he got a little picture of the man he had married. Tony had changed a lot and although Jethro’s love to him was still the same, if not more, he sometimes missed his old Tony and was more than happy to see little glimpses of the person he fell in love with. He kissed his husband softly.

„I wasn’t talking about that, either."

„I’ll take care."

Tony promised and smiled slightly before he finally left the office.

 

 

 

 

 

 

„Tony! Sit down or do anything else, but stop pacing around like a panther in a cage!"

Ziva said annoyed and pressed her fingers against her temples. Tim hadn’t been very happy when he returned with the pregnant woman to the HQ. None of the people they questioned were any help and that made Ziva even more bitchy than usual. Right now they were in the lab waiting for new results concerning the DNA test.

„It’s tiger."

„What ever. A wild cat."

„She’s right, Tony."

Abby said and looked shocked about her own words.

„Anyway, you could also go home and sleep a little."

Within a second Tony was in front of her, looking down at her.

„Are you saying that I should take a nap, now that I can’t eat sugar or fat nor can drink coffee? Is that why you’re sending me home?"

„No, Tony. I’m saying that you haven’t slept more than six hours in three days. Well, let’s say I hope you slept six hours, though you didn’t look that way yesterday, and I don’t even want to know how you and Gibbs work with pain...or if I think about it I’d really like to know..."


„ABBY!"

She sighed slightly and then took a step back to bring some room between them.

„I was saying that you should take more care of yourself. I mean you’re expecting a baby."

„You’re pregnant?"

Tony gave her a look and then turned to Sacks. Abby winced in sympathy. While fighting they had forgotten about the FBI Agent.

„Well, yeah."

„If you had told me I would have send you home ages ago!"

„You’re not my boss!"

„BUT I AM!"

The span around and looked into the pissed face of Director Gibbs. He walked completely into the room, giving Tony and Sacks equal stares and then turned to Abby, with a huge Caff-Pow! in his hand.

„Good to have you back, bossman."

She beamed and took the drink.

„You got the results yet?"

„ABBY!"

McGee was typing hurridly on the keyboard and Abby immidiatly joined in.

„What’s going on?"

„Somebody tries to get into my computer!"

The two of them kept typing for about five minutes and then they stopped. A little puzzled they looked at eachother and then turned around.

„They stopped..."

Tony gave Jethro a look, which spoke of suspicions and terrible ideas, and the older man returned it.

„You know what they did?"

„No. And I won’t find out who it was, either..."

A ding from the computer interrupter her and she swang around.

„Ladies and Gentlemen, we have a winner!"

She announced and opened the file. A face appeared on the plasma screen and they all stared at it for a long moment.

„Great."

Tony said and turned around. Before anybody could say anything he had left the lab.

„What was that about?"

Sacks asked and Jethro sighed.

„It wasn’t the result he wanted."

Still confused Sacks checked the file again.

„This says that Richard Stevenson died in a car crash this morning. And he’s been on the list of people who have been in contact with Director Shepard. What is there not to like about the result?"

„It’s not Kramer."

Jethro said, turned on his heels and headed into the office.

 

 

 

Tony sat behind his desk, a picture of Kramer on his screen and he just kept staring.

„Tony?"

„Stevenson has only met Jen for dinner. It had been an official meeting. He hasn’t killed her."

Jethro sat halfly on his desk and looked down at his husband and then at the picture.

„Tony. His DNA was...it is all there. The case is closed. You can give your reports..."

„It’s not closed, Jethro! What about the hacker in Abby’s computer? Just before the result came? A little coincidence? Somebody taught me not to believe in coincidences!"

„Agent DiNozzo!"

Called to attention Tony straightenend in his chair a little.

„The case is closed. You will finish your report tomorrow and you will go home now. I won’t see you in office before eight am tomorrow morning. And that’s an order."

Without another word Tony stood up, took his coat and left the office.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Jethro entered the house some minutes after 6 pm. He had to finish the day like every other and he had talked to the SecNav, who had ordered to close the case at given circumstances. Jethro had known this of course, and he didn’t want Tony to get into trouble so he rather risked a fight. And he got it.

The Agents assigned for the protection of his family were in a car outside the drive way. Jethro told the driver of the limousine he was picked up with to stop and got out to talk to them.

„What are you doing here, Agent James? You’re supposed to be close to the house."

„Yes, sir. But your husband insisted that we leave the property."

Jethro took a deep breath and then looked up the drive way.

„Ok, go home, you’re off duty. I think Tony and I are capable of looking after ourselves and the kids."

He told his driver the same and walked the hundred meters up to the house. The door opened and Dan looked out.

„Hi, Pa!"

„Dan, what did we tell you about opening the door?"

„But I saw you coming up."

„And I have a key."

Jethro said and picked his son up.

„If Tony didn’t change the locks."

He muttered to himself and went inside the house. He sat down his son, who ran off to his room. Unexpectedly Tony stood in the kitching fixing dinner and the table was indeed set for four people.

„Tony, I can explain."

„I don’t wanna hear it, though."

He answered without turning away from the stove. After a long moment of silence he finally turned and shook his head.

„Actually, I do."

His eyes were angry although the rest of his face was calm – though Jethro would never trust that.

„Tony, I talked to the SecNav, right after you had left the office. He ordered me to close the case, and before you say what you’re thinking, I tried to tell him that I don’t believe the results either. Though I didn’t mention that you don’t. I don’t want you to be in trouble, Tony, and I’m not talking about the SecNav. Whoever pulled this wasn’t alone. And they definitely have been pros!"

„Oh!!! I didn’t know that you care about that! You certainly didn’t when you were the one going after the perps. I told you a million times to back off and you never did! What’s the difference now?"

„The difference is that I am your director and that you have a family! Tony, we cannot risk our lives the way we did! We have children to think about! If we are pissing on someone’s leg it’s not just our own lives we’re risking!"

Jethro saw that Tony did get his point. But still the younger man’s eyes were gleaming dangerously at him.

„So, you want me to accept that the real murderer of Jen is still walking around and is getting away with it?"

Jethro sighed and approached his husband.

„I want you to back off for the moment. I want you to take a step back and take care that we will get two lovely babies. I know I wasn’t any better than you are now. But you know what’s important when you’re hunting?"

Tony shrugged slightly.

„Patience."

The younger man tilted his head and then sighed.

„Don’t you have another adive? Cause this one kind of sucks."

Despite his words Tony grinned and signaled Jethro that everything was ok again, well, not everything...

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

One day later Tony shifted uncomfortable in the chair he sat in.

„Jeez, I’m feeling like when I was called to the principal.."

„Tony, you are called to the principle."

Jethro said slightly annoyed. They had to take three hours off because Mr. Principle couldn’t manage to give them another appointment. And then, when they arrive at the office they were told to wait...that had been thirty minutes ago. Jethro checked his watch again, just as the door opened and they were asked inside.

„I hope you don’t mind that it took a little longer."

Mr. Gorn said and mentioned them towards the chairs in front of his desk.

„Oh, I don’t think the SecNav minded rescheduling the video conference. He’s not that busy."

Jethro said sarcastically and the principal looked a little shocked.

„Well, I’m sorry if I intervened with important dates but I thought you might want to talk quickly about your daughter’s situation."

„We do."

Tony said before Jethro could open his mouth again. He bit back the comment that was on the tip of his tongue and wordlessly sat in the chair, followed by Tony.

„Yes, I talked to Alishia’s teacher and I have to tell you that if she’s not going to be better she will have to repeat the grade."

„Actually, we’re of a different oppinion. We talked to Alishia and she told us that she’s bored in class, that’s why she’s not spending attention. And she said she’s bored because she’s much faster than all the other kids."

Tony explained and before the principal could say anything Jethro continued.

„Yes, and Alishia’s therapist conviniently told us last night after Alishia’s session that she thinks Lish is gifted. She should scip one grade."

Satisfied Jethro watched Mr. Gorn desperately look for anything to say.

„Alshia is in therapy?"

„Yes, she had a traumatic experience which lead to therapy. Anyway, her psychologist, she’s a doctor, you know, she said that Alishia is really intelligent, like more than usual?"

Tony said slowly as if he was talking to some kid, or drunk. Mr. Gorn squared his shoulders a little.

„Mr. DiNozzo. As long as this matter isn’t cleared..."

„What will you do to clear this matter?"

Jethro interrupted. Without noticing both men had put up their interrogation mask and when the principle didn’t answer they started to play their little game.

„Ohhh, I think he hasn’t even considered the possibility that our daughter could be gifted, Jethro."

„Sure seems that way, Tony. Though, didn’t we choose this school because they promised to help our children to become the best what they can?"

„I think that’s quite exactly what the proshure said."

The nodded at eachother and then turned to the principal.

„I will talk to someone I know. He’s principal of a school for gifted children. I’m sure he can help to clear the matter."

Jethro smirked and stood up.

„Well, now that that’s cleared, you’ll excuse me, I’ve got a federal agency to run."

„Excuse me?"

„Ohhhh, right. Jethro’s been promoted. Instead of retiring he was made director. Have a good day, Mr. Gorn. Call us for a date to meet with that other principal."

Tony grinned widely as they left the dumbstruck man behind.

„That was cool."

He beamed at his husband as they walked out of the school. But Jethro was very silent next to him.

„What’s wrong?"

„The SecNav asked me to do the funeral oration for Jen. I’m her successor and I was her partner once...And I couldn’t really say no, could I? Sure, as an Agent I did twice...but as director..."

Tony took his hand. It was an unusual gesture between them but Jethro smiled thankfully. He knew what Tony was saying without words and it was better than anything he could have said. Before they got into the car Tony kissed Jethro softly.

„You’ll do fine. And your family is right there."

 

 

 

 

 

It was quite crowded and Jethro was very nervous. Speaking wasn’t his forté and usually Tony took over for him but as director he probably should get used to it anyway. Though, he doupted that he had managed the speech without Tony’s help. He knew what he wanted to say, what needed to be told, but he couldn’t find the right words to express feelings and memories, not like Tony.

Finally his name was mentioned and he stood after Tony had squeezed his hand. He walked up to the open coffin and looked at Jen for the last time. Her face was calm and she had a satisfied expression, something he couldn’t relate with at the moment.

„Ladies and Gentlemen, family and friends of Jennifer Mary Shepard. We all came for the same reason, to say good bye to somebody we loved and honored. Jennifer Shepard has been an exceptional Agent. One of the best I’ve worked with. I was her mentor, her partner and later, her subordinate.

There are things you could say about her which aren’t all nice. But she was one of the best persons I’ve ever met. She leaves a gap that nobody will ever fill, a gap that noone can ever fill, a gap noone is supposed to fill.

I don’t think she’d want us to cry. But I know that she doesn’t want us to forget her. She wouldn’t want us to forget all the wonderful hours we were blessed to spend with her. She wouldn’t want us to forget the good time, and she wouldn’t want us to forget the bad times, and how we got through them.

I won’t forget her smile, or her eyes when she had to take me down from an ego-trip. She was a constance in my life and I thought it would be shaky when she’s gone but I realized that she won’t be gone. A part of her lives in me and in everybody who has met her. A part of her lives in my children, who she has helped to raise from the first moment on. And a part of her will live in the agency she has run more successful than anybody had believed.

I’m proud to continue her work and I hope that she will be proud on the work I’m doing. Because whatever I do as director, I think of her. In some way, she has been my mentor in the end. And my partner.

And she will always be."

He turned around to the coffin but didn’t step up to it. Without the microphone he knew that nobody would hear what he says but it didn’t matter. It wasn’t for their ears anyway.

„You’ve never been a marine but I think they’ll make an exception. Semper fi, Jen."

He straightened and saluted to the coffin.

 

 

Story finished.

Series to be continued with # 4: Haunted

 

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author ghosts_writer.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.

Series this work belongs to: