Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Completed:
2008-09-07
Words:
6,872
Chapters:
4/4
Comments:
1
Kudos:
11
Hits:
1,856

Uncaged

Summary:

A 4-part slash fiction featuring Gil Grissom and Aaron Pratt from CSI Season 2 episode Caged.

Chapter 1: Chapter 1

Notes:

Originally opsted on Fanfiction.net. Reviews and constructive criticism welcome. 4 parts.

Chapter Text

 

UNCAGED

A slash fiction with Grissom and Aaron from the episode, Caged.

Sexual content, but not extremely explicit

I. The Denouement

Gil Grissom stood in his office, watching Aaron Pratt nervously finger the little vials arranged on a tray on one of his bookshelves. He had asked Aaron to come there, so that he could explain to the young man the circumstances behind the death of the book restorer, Aaron's friend Veronica.

Gil had felt an affinity for the young man since they had first met. Aaron was a high-functioning autistic, with superior right brain ability. That meant that although he had difficulty in relating to other people, he was also extremely intelligent and could function in society.

And he liked Shakespeare.

"Veronica removed the original illustrations from the books and replaced them with forgeries," Gil told Aaron, who glanced at him briefly, then returned to straightening the vials, "Which she then left at your house, so that she could point the finger at you if it ever came to that. She never thought that you'd find out, but you did, and you told Mr. Hunter."

"All you have in this business is your reputation." said Aaron loudly...quoting the words Mr. Hunter had shouted at Veronica, while his restless fingers continued to straighten the little vials on the shelf.

Gil knew that Aaron was nervous, and that his straightening of the vials was displacement anxiety. So he continued on calmly, "So Veronica tried to save hers, but instead of killing Mr. Hunter, she ended up killing herself."

Aaron turned to glance at Gil, and as he did so his hand knocked some of the vials onto the floor. "Sorry," he said quickly, and bent to pick them up.

Gil smiled. "That's okay." He moved forward to help. Aaron laughed a bit, nervously, at Gil's closeness... was there a vibe there, Gil wondered?

Gil's hand brushed Aaron's as he placed two of the vials back on the tray. "I like order." he said, gently.

Aaron's eyes flashed to his, and then back down. His lips twitched into a smile. "Me, too." he said.

Aaron took a deep breath. "That's why I was scared," he said.

"Scared?" Gil asked gently.

"Of Veronica." Aaron said, hurt and bewilderment in his tone and in his eyes. "Of being in love. I was stupid, I thought she loved me." He blinked several times, then as always the classics came to the rescue: " 'Then must you speak of one that loved not wisely.'.."

"'But too well'." Gil finished for him.

"Othello, Act 5. Scene 2, Lines 343 and 344," said Aaron, staring at the vials under his fingers.

"But Othello killed Desdemona," Gil pointed out quietly.

"I didn't kill Veronica."

"No, you didn't." Gil smiled.

Aaron took a deep breath. His eyes skittered around the room, rested on Gil for a second, then flashed away again.

Gil felt a warm rush of affection for the boy. Not pity - pity wasn't part of the equation. Aaron had made a life for himself and was succeeding at it. But there were always Veronicas around...who would and could take advantage of the most knowledgeable man, as well as the most innocent. Had Aaron's trust in people and friendship been destroyed?

"Do you..." started Aaron... "Would you...like to see a movie... with me? I have ... Hamlet...on DVD...Kenneth Branagh. Derek Jacobi. Julie Christie."

Gil was pleased. "I would like that, " he said.

The young man was handsome (for all that he greased down his hair too much) with a wide, expressive mouth and melting brown eyes that would flash this way and that in a desperate attempt to not look into the eyes of another... There was a saying that the eyes were the windows of the soul...Aaron had vulnerable eyes...Gil wanted nothing more than for Aaron to be able to look him in the eyes...

Aaron smiled that brilliant smile of his, which came and went as suddenly as a silver fish breaking the surface of a pond and then disappearing.

"Tonight?" he said.

"I work nights," said Gil. "My day off isn't until this Saturday. May I come over on Saturday?"

"Yes," said Aaron, nodding. "Saturday. August 25. Six p.m."

"6 pm," Gil repeated. "May I bring dinner? I'll pick up some Thai food. Chicken with cashews?"

Aaron blinked several times, smiled that skittering smile. "Yes. I like Thai food. Pad Thai. Rice noodles pan fried with fish sauce, sugar...lime juice or tamarind pulp...chopped peanuts, and egg combined with ...chicken...seafood...or tofu."

Gil placed his hand on Aaron's arm, smiling. "Pad Thai," he said, "with chicken. I'll see you on Saturday, then."

Aaron nodded sharply, then turned and left the room. As he walked, Gil noticed that he held one hand over the spot where he, Gil, had touched his arm.

II. Saturday the 25th

At precisely 6 pm on Saturday, Gil knocked on the door of Aaron's apartment, and Aaron answered it promptly.

"Hello," said Aaron loudly.

"Hello," said Gil, with a smile. "Cashew chicken, and pad thai," he said, slightly lifting his arms to rustle the white bags carrying all the food.

Aaron stepped back, and Gil entered his apartment. He carried the food into the kitchen. "You have your own way of doing things, Aaron," he said. "Shall I let you prepare the food?"

"Yes, please. Sit in the living room. I will bring it out."

Gil walked into the living room. Instead of sitting down, he called, "May I look at your books?"

"Of course you may," said Aaron.

Gil had already had a good look at Aaron's books the last time he'd visited the apartment, when he and Nick Stokes had been investigating the death of Veronica Bradley. But then he'd been investigating a crime, now he could relax and just enjoy the feel of the books. Aaron's entire apartment was covered with bookcases...he clearly loved books. Well...that was to be expected...masters degree in library science, English degree from UNLV...

Aaron came into the room carrying a tray. On the tray was the food tastefully arranged on two plates, and two glasses of water. Calistoga water, bottled at the source. Aaron set out coasters for the glasses, placed silverware down precisely, and then set down the plates of food.

"Do you...want to... watch the movie while we... eat?" he asked.

"Yes," said Gil.

Aaron took up the remote, pointed it at the TV, and pressed the button. The credits for Kenneth Branagh's Hamlet began to unfold.

Gil picked up his silverware and began to eat.

They ate in silence, concentrating on the screen and the events unfolding there.

Gil found that he was very conscious of Aaron beside him... for all that he was all the way on the other side of the couch...conscious in a physical way that he'd never felt with a man before. And he was aware that Aaron was very conscious of him. But that was just perhaps because he wasn't used to having anyone else in his apartment except Veronica.

After they finished eating, Aaron promptly took the plates and silverware back into the kitchen. Then he returned and sat back on the couch...slightly closer to Gil than before.

As the movie continued, Gil noticed that Aaron was mouthing the words to himself. Of course, he knew every line in the movie.

Well, two could play at that game.

Hamlet spoke again. Then it was Rosencrantz's turn. Gil spoke his lines out loud, matching the inflections of the actor on the screen.

Aaron looked at him, grinning, and then when Hamlet spoke, Aaron spoke his dialog aloud.

They continued like that throughout the entire movie, alternating on the dialog. Once in a while Gil would get caught out, misrembering a line (well, not so much misremembering it as being caught out because the filmmakers had changed the lines from the source material, the bastards!) and would laugh and cover his face, and Aaron would smile also, once he realized Gil wasn't getting mad about forgetting, and they were having a fun time.

At the end, they both clapped their hands, both at the end of the movie and at the end of their own performances in it.

"That was fun," Aaron said happily. "I thought... only I could quote ...from the movies... like that."

"I've done it all my life," Gil said with a smile. "I wanted to be an actor when I was growing up, before I got into criminalistics."

"I wanted to be an actor, too," said Aaron. The two smiled at each other...then a look of panic skittered over Aaron's face and he looked away...turned away, getting up off the couch to do so, raising his hands to wipe them on his vest as if they'd grown suddenly sweaty.

Gil started to extend a hand to stop him, then stopped, lowered it.

What was he doing? Aaron was an intelligent man...who clearly knew what he wanted...but he was autistic for all that...and easily taken advantage of by someone who knew how to manipulate him. Veronica had manipulated him...for dishonest purposes.

He was greatly attracted to Aaron...but wasn't he manipulating him too? Taking advantage of the man's need for friendship and liking for him? He, Gil, wanted it to be more than that...yes...it was clear to him now that he did want that... but was Aaron able to distinguish the difference between what friends did together and what romantic partners did? If Aaron just wanted to be friends with him...would he think that he'd have to do the romantic bit too, even if he didn't want to, if he wanted to keep Gil's friendship?

Gil didn't want to force that kind of decision on him, certainly not this early in their friendship.

Gil stood up. "I've had a fun time," he told Aaron truthfully, "but I should go."

Aaron had sought comfort by his bookcase, running a finger over the titles...he turned back sharply.

"I...I...you don't have to go!" he said.

"It's late," Gil said.

Aaron turned to look at the clock. "Ten-thirty," he said. "Yes. It's late."

"May I come back next Saturday?" asked Gil. "We could watch Othello."

Aaron's face brightened in a way that practically melted Gil's heart. "Yes," he said. "Saturday. September 2. Six p.m."

"I'll bring dinner again," said Gil.

III. The Next Saturday

At precisely 6 pm, Gil knocked once more at the door to Aaron's apartment.

Aaron opened the door immediately. "Hello, Gil!" he said, loudly.

"Hello, Aaron. I brought Thai again."

"Good! I... like Thai food. That's our food!"

"You mean like our song?" Gil said with a grin.

"Yes!"

Aaron took the food into the kitchen and began preparing the tray.

While Aaron worked in the kitchen, Gil glanced at the DVD cases placed symmetrically on the coffee table. Othello. As You Like It. Shakespeare in Love. But his tastes were eclectic. There was also Dark Journey, starring Conrad Veidt and Vivien Leigh.

Aaron came into the room with the tray, and set out everything precisely as before.

"Shall we watch the movie and eat?" Aaron asked, his hand poised over the remote control.

"Yes."

Aaron nodded sharply, and pressed the button.

Once again, there was no conversation while they ate. Gil didn't mind that. He preferred to concentrate on enjoying his food, with pleasant conversation taking place afterwards. And in any event, one had to concentrate on Othello - it was the 1995 version, starring Laurence Fishburne and Kenneth Branagh.

After they finished eating, Aaron promptly took the tray back into the kitchen. He returned to the living room, and remained standing at the door, looking briefly at Gil, then away, then resumed his seat on the couch.

"That was good food," he said, loudly.

"I'm glad you liked it. I bring it from my favorite Thai restaurant."

Aaron wiped his hands on his slacks, and concentrated on the movie. Every now and again his eyes would skitter over to Gil, then look away. Gradually, however, he became engrossed in the movie, and was able to concentrate solely on that. Once again his lips moved as he repeated the dialog, but he obviously didn't feel like playing their quote game so Gil just settled back, relaxed, and watched with enjoyment.

The movie ended, and Aaron immediately reached out with the remote and turned off the DVD.

"Have you ever seen this as a play?" Gil asked.

"Yes!" said Aaron with a smile. "At the University of Nevada, Las Vegas. Nevada Conservatory Theatre. Othello, As You Like It, Hamlet, Richard III... I go with my friends."

"Your friends from school?"

"Yes. The Theatre Club. Harry. Andrew. Robbie. Carol. Me. Every Wednesday."

"What's playing this Wednesday?"

"It's ... not Shakespeare. It's... The Man Who Came To Dinner. George S. Kaufman. Moss Hart. First produced 1939, Music Box Theatre, New York City."

"That's a pretty good play. I've seen that."

Aaron smiled his quick smile.

"Have you seen You Can't Take It With You?"

"Yes! Nevada Conservatory Theatre. June 23, 2006. Wednesday matinee. It was raining."

"Next time," said Gil, "We should just talk, instead of watching a movie. Do you want me to come again?"

"Yes! Saturday. 6 pm."

"Okay. Do you want Thai again, or should I bring something different?"

"Thai. That's our food."

Gil smiled. "Okay, Aaron, I'll see you next Saturday." He reached out and placed his hand on Aaron's arm, in a gentle farewell, then headed for the door.

Aaron placed his hand over the spot where Gil had touched him. "Good night," he said, loudly.

Gil waved a hand and closed the door after him.

III. The Third Saturday

When Aaron opened the door this time, he smiled at Gil, then reached out his hand to touch Gil's arm as Gil entered the room.

They ate in silence again, then Aaron brought the food things back into the kitchen and returned to the living room.

This time, Aaron sat on the couch while Gil sat facing him across the coffee table, in the only other chair in the room. They talked about theater, about books, about movies. Gil had long since gotten used to Aaron's conversational style, and now found that they had a great deal in common in their literary likes and dislikes.

At ten o'clock, Gil glanced at his watch. He was feeling a bit tired..he'd pulled a double shift the night before.

"Well, I'd better go," he said, and stood up.

Aaron jumped up. "It's not 10.30," he said.

"That's true," said Gil, "but just for tonight I have to leave at 10. I've enjoyed our talk."

Aaron stepped up to him, almost bumping his chest.

"I ... don't... want you to go," he said.

Gil looked down at him, standing very close to him, hands at his sides, but his face turned away.

"Why not?" Gil asked softly.

Gil saw Aaron blink his eyes hard, still looking away. "I don't know," he mumbled.

Gently, Gil put his hands on Aaron's biceps. Aaron didn't move...neither closer or away. He blinked hard again.

Gently, Gil bent down and pressed his lips to Aaron's hair. (Way too much hair gel, he thought absently...we'll have to work on that .) Still Aaron didn't try to pull away.

Gil kissed his hair again, this time lower down, towards the side of his face.

This time Aaron backed away precipitously, looking at Gil with panic-stricken eyes.

Gil felt his heart sink that he'd misjudged the situation, but he remained where he was, putting his hands down at his side. "Aaron, I'm sorry," he said. "I thought you wanted me to kiss you. I made a mistake. I won't do it again."

Aaron just stared at him...

"Okay, I'm going to go now," said Gil. "Can I come back next Saturday for another movie night?"

"No," said Aaron. "Don't go."

He stepped back up to Gil...face turned away..."I... I want..."

Gil reached out and took Aaron's hands in his. Aaron held onto them fiercely.

"Do you want me to kiss you?" Gil asked quietly.

"Ye... yes."

Gil stepped back just a little bit, lowered his face, and sought out Aaron's lips with his. This time, Aaron turned his head to meet Gil's questing lips.

Gently, Gil kissed him, his lips warmly caressing Aaron's.

Aaron suddenly turned his face away, blinking hard. Gil waited, patiently, not moving. After a minute or two Aaron turned his head back, his eyes skittering briefly towards Gil's. Gil sought out his lips again, and this time it was Aaron who initiated the contact, opening his lips and closing them over Gil's.

They stood there for a long time, kissing, deeply. Occasionally Aaron would jerk his head away...each time Gil waited patiently...each time Aaron would turn his head back. Finally, his grip on Gil's hands loosened...he let loose of Gil's hands and instead put his hands on either side of Gil's waist.

Gil put his own hands on Aaron's back, and pressed him closer, kissing deeper and deeper.

He could feel Aaron's manhood growing..as had his own...

He stepped back, looking into Aaron's eyes...and Aaron gazed back at him.

"Have you ever made love to a man before?" Gil asked softly.

"Nu...no."

"Well...we don't want to go too fast. You know about protection, right?"

"Condoms," said Aaron. "Put on a man's erect penis to physically block ejaculated semen from entering the body of a sexual partner." he said, quoting something.

"Right," said Gil. "We need to have those, and I don't have any."

"I don't have any either," said Aaron.

They didn't really need any, Gil knew. He had no diseases, and he was pretty sure Aaron didn't have, either. But Aaron learned by seeing and he didn't want to set a bad precedent of ever having sex without a condom.

"Well, we don't have to go all the way tonight," said Gil. "There's plenty of time."

"Plenty of time." Aaron repeated. "Yes. Plenty of time. All the time in the world."

"On Her Majesty's Secret Service." Gil said. "James Bond to Tracy Di Vicenzo. Our story will have a happier ending."

He took Aaron's hand and led him to the couch. "I am really tired, Aaron," he said. "Let's just relax here and watch As You Like It."

Gil slipped off his shoes and stretched out on the couch. "Lie beside me," he told Aaron quietly.

Aaron stared at Gil, swallowed hard, blinked, then moved forward awkwardly. Gil guided him into the right position, his legs on the couch, his back nestled against Gil's chest. Gil draped one arm over Aaron's chest.

"See, we both fit on the couch, and you can lie against me."

"Your body is warm," Aaron said.

"So is yours," said Gil. "Warm is good. I'm tired. Let's just relax and watch the movie, okay?"

"Okay."

Gil felt the warmth of Aaron's body against his, and felt the youth relaxing against him. Aaron rested his head on Gil's chest, as he watched the movie.

"This...feels...good." he murmured. "Gil."

"Very good," said Gil.

Minutes later, Gil was fast asleep, as was Aaron, as the images on the TV flickered over them.

Tomorrow was another day...

Return to Top