Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
629
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
4
Bookmarks:
1
Hits:
1,240

His Captain

Summary:

Fandom: Doctor Who
Characters: the Doctor, Jack
Rating/Warnings: G
Summary: When did Jack simply become Captain to the Doctor?  He’s not sure either.

Work Text:



His Captain
by Lilithangel
 

 
 
Jack would never ask for help in his own adventures and that was good.  Going back was bad, even if it had been nice to see Sarah Jane again and K9 and maybe he should consider checking on some of the others occasionally even if it was too late and there was that whole timeline crossing thing.  Martha had asked for help and that had been good even if seeing her as a soldier and not a doctor wasn’t.
 
Jack didn’t need his help and that was good, even if it was because of Torchwood’s resources, which wasn’t good.  He did trust Jack to have changed things, but it was obvious that they hadn’t curbed his Captain’s fondness for guns.  Certainly the Captain’s guns had fixed things in the past, but he was sure he could have found another way.
 
His Captain, Captain Jack, Captain.  When had Jack become just Captain?  That wasn’t usual.  Okay there wasn’t a lot that was usual about Jack, but he wasn’t one for just titles.  Aside from with Time Lords of course…
 
Huh… Somewhere along the way Jack had slotted into his thinking alongside The Master and the others.  All with self chosen titles giving away their personalities.  Except the Brigadier of course, another of his human exceptions.  That was unexpected.  He’d have to think about when that happened.
 
It was Rose of course.  When they shared the pain of thinking Rose was dead, when Jack helped bring her back, when Jack didn’t doubt him.  Then he was Captain for the first time for the right reasons.  Not just Captain Jack conman Harkness but Captain, leader and protector.
 
Then when he ran from Jack, it was Captain to distance himself and still Jack didn’t doubt him.  Such adoration was a heady thing from a man like that.  The man he was and had become.  Fifty first century humans had the whole universe to base their standards and for all their flirting, they had high standards indeed.  Even a Time Lord wasn’t immune to that flattery.
 
Even though looking at Jack felt as disturbing as looking into the untempered schism itself, he still saw his Captain.
 
More and more it was Captain and not Jack.  And when had the hugs stopped?  He liked the hugs; Jack gave good hugs, safe non-threatening hugs despite the innuendo.  When had Jack stopped hugging him?  When he’d told Jack what he saw, when he called Jack wrong, that was when.  He’d had to be honest, make Jack understand and it had worked, maybe too well.
 
They were still friends, Jack still flirted with him and he knew Jack would always be there when he called.  Wasn’t that a strange feeling?  Knowing Jack would always be there when he called; no matter when in time he was, from the twentieth century onwards, Jack would be there.
 
Those of his blood were gone, even Jenny his sort of daughter and the Master left him.  Donna, who for a brief moment had at least understood what he saw all the time, she was just Donna the temp from Chiswick again.  She was alive at least and could still live a fantastic life, but she was lost to him.  Just like Rose and his other self.
 
Davros had called them the children of time and his Captain would live through time to be the oldest thing in the universe.  So the Time Lords would never be forgotten, the Doctor would never be forgotten and it he was ever lonely Jack would be there.  Every time he looked out into time Jack would be there, his Rock of Gibraltar, his lighthouse to call him home.  His Captain.
 
“What brings you to Cardiff this time, Doctor?”
 
“End of the world, alien invasion, you know the usual stuff.  Fancy a quick trip, Captain?”
 
His Captain.
 

END