Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
1,023
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
7
Hits:
1,039

Cat-napper

Summary:

Category:  Slash, Humor, Established Relationship
Pairing:  Jack/Daniel ... and it's all J/D
Rating:  PG-13
Season:  Beyond the Series - January 6, 2014
Spoilers:  None
Size:  7kb, ficlet
Written:  July 27-28,31, August 1, 2008
Summary:  Jack deals with an unusual cat-napping event.
Disclaimer:  Usual disclaimers -- not mine, wish they were, especially Daniel, and Jack, too, but they aren't.  A gal can dream though!
Notes:  
1) This fic is by request of Irina.  Thanks!
2) Silent, unspoken thoughts by various characters are indicated with ~ in front and behind them, such as ~Where am I?~
3) Thanks to my betas who always make my fics better:  Tammy, Linda!

Work Text:

 

Cat-napper
by Orrymain
marciastudley1@comcast.net  
http://orrymain.com

 

“JD, Dad's gotta get this done,” Jack spoke to the young boy as he sat behind his desk in the study.

“Dad play with JD,” the youngster insisted stubbornly while leaning against the desk drawers, his butt backing against the drawers in a rocking manner.

“But Dad has business he needs to take care of.”

“Dad do business later; play with JD now.”

“You're awfully sure of yourself,” the father of twelve observed.

Smiling, JD replied, “Dad love JD.”

“Ya got me there,” Jack chuckled, reaching out to tickle his son.  “Just let me print this report.”

Jack made one final notation and then ordered the lengthy report to print.  Standing, he picked up the boy, and the two exited the study, heading for the game room for some quality father and son time.

====

About an hour later playtime was over, and JD was now occupied with story time with some of his siblings, while his father headed back to the study to review the printout and continue with his business.

“Oh, for crying out loud!” Jack bellowed upon seeing an unpleasant surprise from the doorway.  “What are you doing?”

“Meeeeow,” Mittens responded, sounding a bit angered and looking at Jack with indignation on her face.

“Blasted cat-napper,” Jack groused, feeling like his report had been kidnapped by the creative creature.

Still, Mittens simply stared and let out another snippy response, this one a bit whinier and more expectant.

The general pondered the cat's response and her continued gaze at his printer.  His report, now crumbled, chewed, and strewn all over the desk and floor, was already a goner, and his curiosity about just how it had gotten that way and what Mittens was requesting was now greater than even the most curious cat alive.  He decided to explore this strange new world of 'my cat ate my report'.

“Ooookay,” the general replied, making a funny face as he walked to his desk and ordered a two-page memo to print.

As soon as the printer clicked, Mittens leaned forward a tad, taking the proper position to get her prey.  When the first inches of the paper began to inch out from beneath the printer top, the feline pounced, her paws stomping on the paper.  She nibbled at the edge, causing it to tear.

As the second page began to eject, Mittens jumped on it, pulling it back with her white paws and gnawing at the paper, growling as she did so.

Amused, Jack decided to test the furry creature.  He selected another report and then moved closer to the printer, waiting for the right time.

Once again, Mittens claimed victory over the moving page, turning it into strips.

Quickly, Jack pressed 'pause' on the printer.

“Meow!” Mittens demanded, tired of the page she'd already destroyed.

“You want it, you get it,” Jack said, pointing at the 'pause' button.  Seeing the cat focused on his hand, he pressed the button.  “Have fun!”  He repeated the act two more times.  With Mittens staring at him expectantly, he raised his hands, shaking his head as he backed slightly.  “Nope.  Your turn.”

Jack wasn't sure if he was just surprised or shocked, but he was definitely laughing when a frustrated Mittens swiped her paw at the 'pause' button, causing the next page to print out.  Once it got into view, she again batted at it and began to chew on it.

“Crazy cat.”

“Jack, where's that report?” Daniel asked as he walked into the room.

~Cute,~ Jack thought about his husband.  ~He's in a hurry,~ he deduced from his lover's tone and the fact that Daniel still hadn't looked up from the file he was reading.  ~Very cute,~ he reiterated before deciding to share what he'd just witnessed.  “Danny, you have to see this.”

“I need that report.”

“Watch this first,” Jack insisted.

Glancing up briefly, Daniel observed Mittens destroying the printout and un-pausing the printer to get at her new toy.

“Do you believe that?” the silver-haired man asked, still amazed at the cat's behavior.

“Sure.  Jack, the report.  Now, okay?” Daniel requested, turning around and disappearing into the hallway.

Jack stared at the cat and commented, “Well, I thought it was cool.”

“Meow,” Mittens responded appreciatively.

“Did she just ...” the archaeologist began, having done a double-take and walked back into the room with his right hand in front of him, a pen dangling between his fingers.

“Told ya he'd notice,” Jack whispered to the cat.

“Jack, what's going on?”

“Beats me,” Jack responded as he begun to clean up the paper mess.  “Scram,” he ordered Mittens, who obediently jumped off the desk and ran past Daniel, apparently realizing that her fun was over for the moment.

Twisting around to see the butt of the family pet as she hurried towards an unknown destination, Daniel repeated, “Jack, what's going on?”

“I walked in, and she was playing with the printer.  Danny, she's smart.”

“Of course, she's smart,” Daniel responded dryly.  “Did she just ..”

“Yep.  I taught her,” Jack replied proudly, beaming about the cat being able to pause the printing.

“Remember that when she decides to ... play with your ... report again,” Daniel stated, not really sure what to make out of the event.  “Uh, Babe ...”

“Report coming up in five minutes, Angel.  Sorry.”

“It's okay, but we have to make this decision tonight.”

“Got it.  Five minutes,” Jack requested.

Smiling, Daniel nodded and left the study.

Jack printed the report, delivering it promptly to his husband.  They reviewed their options and made their decision.

Much later that evening, with his husband and family all busy with one thing or another, a bored Jack sighed.  He looked around the living room, searching for something to do.  Then he found it.

“Furball, let's play!”

Mittens sprung up onto her feet and let out a happy, “Meow.”

“Let's see if I can teach you how to turn the printer off when you're done playing.”

“Meow,” Mittens replied as she followed Jack expectantly into the study for printer playtime.

For Jack Jackson-O'Neill, life was never boring for long, especially with Mittens around to deliver some unexpected feline fun.


~~Finis - Finished - Done - The End - But is it ever Really?~~

(Feedback welcome)