Actions

Work Header

The Investigator Turns to the Professional

Summary:

Characters: Don, Larry, Ray-Ray, Nena
Rating: FRK, PG
Summary:  Don finds someone else who likes to launch things.
Series: The Case of the Severed Head
Word Count: 300
Disclaimer: Not my characters (except when they are), not my world, making no money.
Feedback: Yes, please! Feed the author!
A/N: Thanks to my betas, dani and munchkin (who wouldn't let me stop at 250).

Work Text:

 

The Investigator Turns to the Professional
by Irena Adler

On a cool Saturday morning, a small crowd gathered at the old airfield. Nine adults – Alan, Charlie, Colby, Will, Don, Larry, Megan, David and Matt – and one child – Nena –formed a half-circle around another adult, though at a respectful distance.
 
"It is fortuitous that Dr. Galuski turned out to be a model rocket enthusiast," Larry said to Don. "With a launch window already prepared for this weekend."
 
"Yeah," Don agreed. "Thanks for finding that out."
 
"You are most welcome. I find myself harkening back to my childhood in the anticipation."
 
Don gave him a distracted nod, then went over to Ray-Ray, who was working on a `model rocket' almost as tall as he was.
 
"Do you have a license to drive this thing?" Don asked with a nervous laugh.
 
"Actually, yeah," Ray-Ray chuckled. "You can't just buy this at a toy store. You need to be certified. I'm Level 3 certified, top level."
 
Don looked around the airfield. There were many people and rockets, but none as large as Ray-Ray's.
 
"It's kinda big," Don said.
 
Ray-Ray laughed. "You bet! This beauty only has an `I' motor, but should fly straight and true and reach almost a mile high." He smiled fondly at the blue and yellow-checkered rocket. "The fin design is my own."
 
"Very impressive," Don agreed.
 
Ray-Ray straightened up. "Okay, set! Now we'll need to get everybody to a safe distance—"
 
"Wait," Nena ran up to them. "You're not ready!"
 
Ray-Ray jumped between her and the rocket, his arms stretched out.   "Uh, not safe, not a toy," he said, eyeing Nena uncertainly.
 
Giving him an exasperated look, Nena held out a plastic bag she was carrying. "You need this to go up, too!"
 
Ray-Ray looked into the bag and his face scrunched up in confusion. "A frozen turkey?"

 


end

Series this work belongs to: