Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
523
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
1
Kudos:
8
Bookmarks:
1
Hits:
1,103

His Master

Summary:

A short introspection piece on Jack as he struggles with the thoughts that whip relentlessly at him without his beloved Will.

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:

His Master
by Pirate Turner

 

He stood alone on the mast, the wind whipping his long hair around as thoughts he begged to leave behind in his bottles of rum whipped relentlessly through his mind. He wished, for a moment, that the wind would suck him right off of his beloved ship and carry him off, but he knew that wasn't what he wanted. He opened the compass again, looked once more, and shut it with a muttered curse.

It didn't matter what he wanted, Jack told himself. It didn't matter beyond the Pearl, his rum, and gold. It didn't matter that his every waking thought and dream was no longer devoted to any of the previous three but all turned instead to a young blacksmith who'd once professed to hate all that he himself loved. It didn't matter that his throat ached with dryness at the mere thought of the lad nor that his heart had skipped a beat every time those rich brown eyes had turned upon him. It didn't matter that the mere mention of Will Turner still caused his breath to catch in his throat.

No, the proud Pirate Captain told himself sternly as he batted away tears that he blamed on the moisture in the wind. None of that mattered. It couldn't matter for Will had found his love and destiny on the land while Jack's was to always roam the seven seas alone, feeling crowded on his own ship yet always feeling so alone inside, so alone without his Will.

Jack took one last long swig of rum and let the empty bottle slip between his fingers. As the glass crashed onto the deck far below, Jack ignored the muttered oaths of those it had nearly hit and swung down. "Adventure, mates, that's what we must find! Adventure and gold!"

Yet though he grinned inside, his heart remained aching, bleeding, and cursing at his own stupidity. Adventure and gold meant very little indeed if you lacked some one to share them with, some one to stand beside you. Jack grabbed the Pearl's wheel firmly in his hands, but even as his fingers arched around the hard wood, he wished fervently that she was flesh and blood and a handsome lad just a few years younger than he.

He thrust the compass into his pocket, not daring to look at it again for he knew what it would tell him and yet still he clung desperately to his pride. He'd not turn back to Port Royal. He couldn't. Will was happy in the arms of his lass. He'd found his destiny just as Jack now forced himself to turn towards his that awaited him alone, or so he thought, upon the wild seas.

He sighed into the wind as he pulled away from the little port, never knowing that the same wind that whipped at him also stole the fresh tears from the one face he longed to see more than any other. A man could only serve one master, Jack recalled the old adage, and though he was not Will's, Will would always be his.

 

The End

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author Pirate Turner.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.