Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
367
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
9
Bookmarks:
1
Hits:
1,176

She Thought Wrong

Summary:

Horatio Caine isn't about to tell his former sister-in-law what has him upset.

Work Text:

She Thought Wrong
By Tinnean

 

After Stevie, the only surviving witness to a Florida-style drive-by shooting, was taken away to a safe house, I offered to stay and keep an eye on things.

It was only right. Yelina, my brother's widow, wouldn't have taken the boy home with her if I hadn't asked for the favor.

She avoided my eyes. "No, it's all right," she said.

"It's not. You and Ray Jr. were endangered because of me. The least I can do is keep an eye on your home through the night, make sure that bastard doesn't send someone else to shoot up your house."

"Horatio, it isn't necessary..."

"Uncle Horatio!" My brother's son started to run down the walk to me, and I smiled at him.

"Ray, wait." The man who caught his arm was Rick Stetler, the IAB sergeant who plagued me, who tantalized me, who just that morning had been in my bed.

He and Yelina exchanged looks, and it became obvious to me that he had been in the house with my nephew and... with Yelina.

My smile faded.

"Caine..." What could Rick say? 'It meant nothing?' 'My job means more?' 'You were good, but a woman is better?'

I removed my glasses and turned away from them. "I see." I turned back, hoping they didn't realize how forced my smile was. "I see."

"Caine, you *don't* see..." Rick took a step toward me, then stopped, uncertain.

"Rick, take Ray Jr. back into the house, please." Yelina's eyes were sad, as if she regretted hurting me by choosing him over me.

Rick stood there for a second, looking uncomfortable. "Come on, buddy." He urged my nephew into the house.

Ray Jr. looked back at me and waved. Rick's shoulders were stiff; he didn't look back.

"Horatio..."

"Goodnight, Yelina." I walked to the curb where my Hummer was parked.

She thought it was the sight of my nephew with a man who wasn't my brother that disturbed me.

She thought it was the knowledge that there could never be anything between us that had me distressed.

I got into my Hummer and drove away.

She thought wrong.

 

~End~