Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Characters:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 1 of A Vampire in Space
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
2,469
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
3
Kudos:
28
Bookmarks:
1
Hits:
2,156

Sentient Life

Summary:

Fandom: AtS/Star Trek the Next Generation
Characters: Spike, Data, Riker, Guinan
Rating/Warnings: none (would you believe it?)
Summary: The Enterprise brings a drifting shuttle on board with only one life sign.  Only to find a cat and Spike.  Data is fascinated by the vampire and wants to learn more.  This is primarily a conversation story because I wanted to see what they would say to each other.
For my darling jaded_jamie.

Work Text:

 

Sentient Life
by Lilithangel

 

"I believe sir," Data said, "that it is a vampire."

He and Riker watched their unwilling guest pace the confines of the cell.

"Vampires don't exist, Data," Riker said, "If he's not human then he's some sort of alien species we haven't encountered before."

"It is humanoid, it doesn't need to breathe," Data said, "it has no discernible heartbeat or heat signature, and when we retrieved it there was a moment I logged in my memory files where it had elongated canines and frontal lobe ridges that are no longer visible.  It shows up on our sensors but has no reflection.  Observation would dictate that it is a vampire."

Riker tugged on his uniform and frowned.  "So you're saying that is a vampire, a Bram Stoker blood feeding vampire?"

"Or at least the real approximation of the early Earth legends," Data replied watching the creature pace.

"It also has bloody good hearing and is getting annoyed at being talked about," the vampire said, turning to face the view screen.

"Fascinating," Data said as Riker jumped back slightly.

"Its name is Spike and it's getting peckish so if you wouldn't mind stopping with the staring and fetch me my bag."

"If you're really a vampire, why would we let anyone near you?" Riker demanded.

"Because we've come a long way since that ponce Stoker and the bag has my synth-blood unit," Spike said with an obvious eye roll.

"Sir, if I might confirm the claim and take the bag through if it is needed?" Data said, "I am not at risk from a vampire."

Riker frowned again but nodded his agreement.  "Just make sure there's nothing in the bag that could be used as a weapon."

"Of course," Data said, "I believe Geordie has already checked it for any potential threats."

"I want everything back," Spike called out indignantly.

Riker continued to watch Spike pace the room.  It was obvious Spike didn't like being locked up and was very much aware of being observed.  He still couldn't believe Spike was a vampire, not the vampire of books and stories.

When they found the shuttle drifting through space their sensors had picked up one set of very faint life signs.  When they'd brought the shuttle on board they'd found Spike and a kitten.  They'd soon established that the life signs had come from the kitten and not from Spike so had placed him in isolation until they could solve the mystery.  Dr Crusher had wanted to examine Spike closer, but Riker had said no until they were certain Spike wasn't a threat.

He continued to observe as Data entered the room carrying the bag and the kitten.

"Hello my Angel," Spike said as the kitten leapt out of Data's arms into his, "did the mean men hurt you?"

"The kitten was checked for known diseases, inoculated and fed," Data said, "I gave it some of my cat's feed, I hope that was appropriate."

"Cheers mate," Spike said.  He lifted the kitten onto his shoulder and snagged the bag.  Reaching inside he pulled out a small replicator unit.

"Your accent registers as late twentieth century, English," Data said, "I have only ever heard it on our holodeck.  Did you adopt it deliberately?"

"I've had this accent for four hundred years," Spike said.  He placed a mug into the replicator and pressed a button.

"May I?" Data indicated the replicator.

"Knock yourself out," Spike said removing the mug and draining it.  "Cost me a small fortune, but worth every penny," he added.

"Pennies would be a small fortune," Data agreed.  "It only makes the one thing?" he asked, examining the unit carefully.

"Only need it to make one thing although I could murder a cup of tea about now."

"Does tea sustain you and why would you think you need to commit murder for it?" Data tilted his head and regarded Spike.

"Just a saying," Spike said, "and it sustains me on a different level.  It's an English thing.  You lot going to let me out anytime soon?"

"Once it is established that you are not a threat I am sure the Commander will allow you free access to the ship."

Spike nodded and looked up at to where Riker still watched.  "Security clearance beta three seven nine," he said, "Check it and then let me out."

"That is a very unusual security clearance," Data commented.

"I'm very unusual in Federation history," Spike said, "just like you.  You're Lieutenant Commander Data, aren't you?"

"Yes I am.  Did your senses tell you that?  I am assuming you have some level of hyper senses."

"Knew you didn't need to breathe yeah, but you're kind of the reason I'm roaming the universe again.  Well the ruling of free officer anyway." Spike flipped the lapel of his jacket over to reveal a Starfleet insignia.  "Vampires are useful to Starfleet, just not popular," he explained.

"Why did you not mention this earlier?"

"Nobody gave me a chance," Spike said.

The door to the cell slid open and Riker was standing there.  "You're free to go, Commander," Riker said with annoyance.

Spike raised an eyebrow and grinned.  "Debrief in a few hours Commander?  Once I'm settled."

Riker nodded briefly.  "Data, would you mind getting the Commander settled?"

"Of course, please follow me."

Spike tossed his bag into his room and got Data to show him around the ship.  "Never been on a galaxy class before," he said staring in interest.  The cat was still on his shoulder and seemed to be watching with just as much intensity.

"What were you doing in a shuttle with a cat so far from civilisation?" Data said.

"That's classified," Spike said and he grinned, "I love saying that.  We weren't supposed to be there, got flung way off course.  Angel wasn't supposed to be with me, he snuck into my duffel.  Dumb animal," he added and winced when Angel's claws dug into his shoulder.  "You are dumb," he crooned and petted the cat which purred and pressed into his touch.

"Cats are very independent," Data said.

"This one's just plain stubborn," Spike said, "won him in a poker game.  Named him after someone I knew cause of the silly hair." Angel's fur was tufted around its ears.

"Have you always been a vampire?" Data asked.

"Was human," Spike raised an eyebrow but answered anyway, "got turned into a vampire back in the 1880's, it's a demon thing.  ‘S funny really, turns out half of what I thought were demons on earth were aliens and half what you lot think of as aliens are demons."

"There's a difference?  Surely the term demon is just a human description of something not understood?"

"Magic's the difference," Spike said as they entered a bar.  "Finally," he said clapping his hand together, "I seriously need a drink."  He stopped for an instant when he saw Guinan behind the bar then carried on.

"Hello Data, William," Guinan greeted them.

"Spike," Spike corrected her, "hello Guinan.  You're a long way from home."

"So are you, Spike," Guinan replied and that was it.  She poured them both drinks and moved off down the bar.

"You have encountered Guinan before?" Data said.

"On earth," Spike replied, "long time ago.  Never forgot her, thought she smelled strange the first time.  Figures she's an alien.  I thought she was just a magic user type."

"You talk of magic as if it were real."

"As real as science, maybe it is science with a different name.  In my day you'd have been called a golem and been hunted the same as I was.  Hundreds of years I've been a myth to most people, until a bigger myth blew the lid on everything leaving demons and aliens alike exposed to the universe."

"You are referring to the stories of the Time Lord," Data said.

"No story mate, I was there.  Made my life easier and more difficult in one swoop.  The last time government paid attention to me was pretty damn painful and this time was much the same except I got to see the stars."  Spike's face lit up with excitement for a moment.  "Vampires were easier to maintain than droids and had all of the extra stuff minus the computer brain."

"So you are stronger and faster than a human?"

Spike nodded.  "Don't need to breathe, can be transported in zero atmospheres.  Can run long range ships without aging or needed anything but synthetic blood.  Can still go crazy though."

Data was still uncertain about some human facial expressions but Spike's was very eloquent and Data knew the vampire had been through all the things he had detailed.

"How did they compel your obedience?" Data asked, "It is inbuilt into my primary programming."

"Force mainly," Spike said with a shrug, "and some of us didn't mind doing something useful.  It was still slavery though, so I watched your case with interest."

"Surely the Federation could not use you in such a way."

"I'm the monster of nightmares to most people and to those in power I had no rights as a dead man.  Your case gave me some ammunition for sentient rights and a good argument for what is
considered life.  Actually you might want to check out my case when they declassify it.  You might be able to argue an upgrade from free officer and autonomous individual to sentient being."

"Your physical appearance would not indicate the level of intelligence you are demonstrating," Data said with interest, "is the look deliberate?"

"This is a classic," Spike said with indignation, "you don't mess with the classics."  He laughed.  "They tried to get me into one of those monkey suits you lot wear, but we compromised."

"Compromised?"

"I wear it as underwear and keep my own kit.  Of course it's getting expensive to get the real thing now."

"You were on Earth for four hundred years?"

"Give or take the last hundred but yeah."

"Would you be willing to share your observations on humanity with me?" Data asked eagerly.  "I have learnt much through observation and questions, but there is still so much that eludes me."

"You want to be a real boy then, Pinocchio?" Spike said with a raised eyebrow.

"I wish to understand and fit in."

"Fitting in ain't what it's cracked up to be.  I had a... I knew a vampire; all he wanted was to earn his humanity back.  He dusted thinking that he was somehow lesser than humans even with his shiny soul.  Even though humans were nastier and capable of more evil than any demon, he still believed it was his reward for being champion."

"You didn't believe that?"

"Believe being a good man is more than the sum of any invisible thing no matter how much it hurts when they put it back in."

"So you believe in a soul?"

"Believe there's something.  Conscience, empathy, fear, something that allows humans to control themselves." Spike regarded Data with a tilt to his head that Data copied.  "Primary programming
if you like.  When I became a vampire I still knew what was bad and wrong, I just didn't care.  I was stronger, better than the cattle I fed on."

"So the controls on your behaviour were gone, your soul." Data looked thoughtful.

"Some humans don't listen to their souls and are branded monsters too.  Once upon a time people ate the flesh of animals with as little concern as I would have fed off a baby.  Now we're more civilised and synthesis everything, but human nature hasn't changed that much."

"So what controls you now?"

"Got my soul back," Spike said, "earned it, fought for it.  Tried to do good without it and didn't get it right.  I wanted to change so I got it back."

"So the impetus for change occurred before you got your soul.  What made you want to change then?"

"Love.  Family, getting close to humans and not being able to eat them.  Basically the same reasons humans became vegetarians I guess."

"So you are able to feel emotions as a vampire?"

"The violent ones felt so much sharper and real than the softer ones but we could feel them.  It wasn't a weakness vampires showed to each other though.  It was all about strength and power and blood."

"You sound like you have much in common with Klingons."

"They put up a good fight and make great drinking partners but their poetry sucks," Spike said  with a laugh.  "Do you feel emotions?"

"I did for a while, but it became awkward and dangerous."

"Sounds about right then.  They are awkward and dangerous."

Ginan brought them another round of drinks and Spike saluted her.

"Will we be able to assist you in your mission?" Data asked after she left.

"Don't know," Spike said, "depends.  I may need a lift back but the bosses will have to decide which is more important."

"I would like to talk more," Data said.

"Happy to assist my saviour," Spike said with a smile.  "Had better organise a meeting with your Commander first, I expect he's champing at the bit to get at me."

"I will show you the holodecks later, maybe you can program something of your time on earth.  It would be fascinating to see some of your demons."

"If we have time I'd love to see the holodecks," Spike said, "I've heard they're quite realistic."

"Completely.  We have many scenarios already programmed in, I am sure you would find something to interest you."

"There was this club on Rymal Eleven I would love to revisit," Spike said, "they had girls there that were so flexible..."

"You wish to use the holodeck for pornography?"

"Trust me, most of the crew will be using it for that," Spike smirked at Data's innocence.

"Interesting," Data said, "I would not have thought so."

"Human nature always returns to the basic needs," Spike said, "food, shelter and sex.  Everything else is what civilisation is for."

"You have a very interesting view of humanity."

"Live long enough and you'll understand," Spike said.

"I would like to understand," Data said.

When Riker found them Spike was teaching Data dirty limericks and Data was demonstrating his memory with some of his own.  The cat was curled up in Data's lap and Riker was struck by how
human Data looked talking with a vampire.  A vampire with a history peppered with classified sections that Riker couldn't get into, that went back so far that Riker didn't want to.

It also looked as if Commander Spike would be with them for a while and Riker wasn't at all certain that was a wise decision.  He just hoped Captain Picard returned before he had to deal with anything worse than what he was seeing.

 

 

END

Series this work belongs to: