Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Completed:
2008-07-18
Words:
10,102
Chapters:
5/5
Comments:
2
Kudos:
14
Hits:
2,913

A Little Miracle: Katie's Story

Summary:

When Jarvis finds out she is unable to have children, she goes in search of a child who has no home and needs a mother.

Chapter 1: Chapter 1 A Little Miracle

Notes:

Disclaimer: I do not own any of the 4400 characters. But I do own Katie.

Chapter Text

A Little Miracle: Katie’s Story

Author: ZeusFluff.

Disclaimer: I do not own any of the 4400 characters. But I do own Katie. Summary: When Jarvis finds out she is unable to have children, she goes in search of a child who has no home and needs a mother. Date Started: 10/28/07. Date Finished: 11/1/07. This is going to be through Nina’s point of view. Hope you will enjoy!

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

August 15th, 2006

How many more times would I go through this before I finally got pregnant? I didn’t know for sure, but this was my fiftieth time. Since I lived alone and had no husband, I decided that maybe I could go to a fertility clinic and ask about this sort of thing. That’s how I came to this place, the Jergenson Fertility research Center. People say it’s the best in the Seattle area. I had also thought about getting a surrogate mother, but it just wouldn’t be the same. I wouldn’t be carrying the baby. I wanted to know what being a mother was all about, experience it first hand, and I was tired of living alone. Ever since Jamie I haven’t been the same. So lonely. I thought about all this as I was lying down on the operating table. I listened as the doctor in front of me spoke up.

“Okay Nina, I’m going to give you something to make you sleepy. I want you to count backwards from 100. You’ll probably be asleep before you hit zero. Let’s hope the fiftieth try will be our last”.

I smiled, my last try, if only it were that simple. I started counting backwards from 100 out loud. I was asleep before I hit fifty. So, I fell into a dreamless sleep, not common for me. Sometime later I woke up feeling quite groggy. My throat was dry. I looked to the right of me. There was an i.v. push in my arm. I blinked my eyes to try and focus them. I saw a nurse come into the room to check on me. I smiled tiredly at her and pulled the covers more tightly over me. I was cold. The nurse stuck a thermometer in my ear. I heard it beep.

“Temperature’s normal. The doctor says you can go home tomorrow. You need plenty of rest today however. The doctor will be in to see you shortly”.

I nodded my head for a second and then closed my eyes. The room I was in was colorless, tasteless in my book, much like all the other rooms at this research center. I saw the doctor who performed the rather invasive procedure come into the room and look at me seriously. I listened as he spoke up.

“Well, glad to finally see you’re awake Nina. Probably a little groggy from the anesthesia I’m guessing. You’re movements aren’t quite in-sync with the rest of your body”.

I nodded my head and tried to sit up. The doctor’s name I now knew as Doctor Carson helped me sit up. I was glad of that. I spoke up.

“How long will it be until we know if it worked or not? I’d like to know as soon as possible, but one can never rush things like these”.

Doctor Carson regarded me with respect and considered every aspect of my condition at the moment. I listened as he spoke up.

“It’ll be several weeks before we know anything. We’ll have to be patient about this. The procedure went well, no complications. If we are indeed successful with this, you will have a child. We’ll need to monitor you from there since you are the age now that you would be a high-risk pregnancy. Your chances of actually conceiving now are very slim. Success rate for a woman your age, about 2 percent. Not that big of a percentage. All we can do now is hope for the best. I want you to take it easy today, and you can go home tomorrow”.

One month later…

Here’s the moment of truth here. Waiting for Doctor Carson to come into his office is making me a nervous wreck. But in the end, I hoped that I really would be pregnant. I wanted a baby more than anything. It would help the gaping hole in my heart from when I lost my Jamie. I kept wringing my hands nervously. I smiled nervously at Doctor Carson when I saw him come into the room. I watched as he made his way to his desk and sat down in front of me. I felt sick and excited all at the same time. I listened as he began to speak.

“Nina I’m sorry to have to tell you this, but it didn’t work. Your lab results came back negative. You’re not pregnant”.

I shook my head no trying as best I could to fight back the tears that were threatening to cascade down my face at any moment. I wasn’t going to lose my mind. I wasn’t. I’d have to cry over Nora’s shoulder when I got home. I knew very well that her and Rob, and Rachel were at home ready to throw me a party that wasn’t meant to be. There has to be some other way. Maybe I could try again. I spoke up.

“No, I won’t take that for an answer. There has to be some other way around this. Please tell me it really can work. I want to try again. Please, just tell me I can try it again”.

By now, tears were streaming down my face. I felt embarrassed that I was crying in front of a man, but he was sympathetic towards me. It was either now or never. Lucky number fifty-one here I come. I looked at Doctor Carson and listened as he spoke up.

“Well, have you ever considered adoption? There are plenty of children out there that need someone to love them and there are people out there just like you who cannot have children who go and adopt children. Do some research. I’m sure there is some little girl or boy out there that needs your love. I have no doubt you’d make a wonderful mother. Just keep your options open, I’m sure you’ll find some child that really needs you. For now, that’s all the advice I can offer you. We’ll keep running tests on you. Maybe we can find something”.

I stood up shaking Doctor Carson’s hand, I knew that just by thinking about other options and keeping my mind open, it would have to work. All the way driving home, I thought about those awful words that came out of Doctor Carson’s mouth. When I got home, and out of the car, I wiped away the tears from my cheeks and carefully put my key into the lock and turned it. When I heard it click, I opened it up. When it was opened, Nora, Rob, and Rachel all jumped out startling me.

“Surprise”!

When the three of them saw the grim look on my face, their smiles fell. They knew that something was wrong. Rachel was the first one to pick up on my mood. Her little toddler legs made it all the way to me. She tugged on my shirt. I slowly leaned down to pick her up. She hugged me tight, and when she pulled away from me, she could see my tears in my eyes, even if they weren’t springing from them yet.

“Aunt Nina, what’s wrong”?

I shook my head and put Rachel down. I didn’t have the heart to tell her that she wasn’t getting a cousin. She’d be very disappointed. Rob could see the look in my eyes, he knew that it was time for Rachel to go and play with her toys upstairs. It was time for the adults to have a conversation. I saw Rob speak to Rachel for a moment.

“Rachel, why don’t you go play with your kitchen set upstairs while your mommy and I talk to Aunt Nina alone alright”?

I saw Rachel’s face fall. She wanted to know what was wrong, but some of the words I was about to use, a three year-old wouldn’t know what they meant, let alone should be allowed to hear. I know she’d fuss a little, but she was a good little girl, and she listened to both my sister and my brother in-law.

“But daddy, I want to know what’s wrong. I want to know why Aunt Nina is so sad”.

I saw Rob shake his head no at Rachel. I saw her slowly ascend the stairs towards one of the bedrooms where her toy kitchen set was. Once Rob thought Rachel was out of earshot, he spoke up.

“What is it Nina? What did the doctor tell you? From the looks of it, not so great of news. Come on, you can tell Nora and I anything. We’re here to give you support when you need it”.

I was literally shaking. They could see the hurt in my eyes. But did they notice why I was crying? They’d find out in a moment. I spoke up.

“Doctor Carson told me t-that I c-couldn’t get p-pregnant”!

How embarrassing, I was stuttering! I only stuttered when I was really upset. I felt Nora pull me into a hug. Rob joined in and rubbed my back comfortingly. Rob and Nora were my only comfort at the moment. Why was it that I always had to stutter when I was upset? I did that even as a child. I listened as Nora spoke up.

“Well, that’s not very fair now is it? Now listen to me, stop crying. Rob and I talked it over, if this scenario came into place, and it has, I would have that baby for you. You’d have a child of your own that way. Come on Nina, you’d still get a little boy or girl that would love you all the same”.

I shook my head no. It was sweet all the same that Nora would really do this for me, but I wanted to keep trying. I had to; I wanted a child more than anything in the world. More than a man at the moment. And I didn’t want someone else carrying it for me. Period. I spoke up.

“That’s sweet of you Nora, but, I want to be the one carrying this baby myself. I may be almost 37 but I believe that someone will find some way for me to have a baby. I can feel it deep down”.

Rob and Nora looked at me as if I had sprouted six heads. I was more than willing to try to have a baby of my own. I’d make it work. I’d go back to every doctor I’ve ever seen about my “condition” and make them run more tests. This had to work.

A/N: What did you all think so far? Is it okay? I’m trying the best I can to make a good drama.