Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 1 of The Music Man Trilogy
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
511
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
10
Hits:
1,067

Goodnight My Someone

Summary:

RATING: FRC
CLASSIFICATION: Buffy/Xander
SPOILERS: Graduation (1 & 2)
DISTRIBUTION: Sure, just keep my name on it and let me know.
DISCLAIMER: If you don't recognize it, chances are it's my own creation. If you do, Joss Whedon, Mutant Enemy, Kazui Sandollar, FOX and the WB own it or them. I'm just holding Spike, Xander and Oz hostage. You may see them by appointment only.
FEEDBACK: Sorry I'm not home right now I'm walking in the spiderwebs so leave a message and I'll call you back...in other words, I want it. Don't care if it's onlist or not.
AUTHOR'S NOTES: Finally, it's revealed why Joyce is so against Buffy dating Xander.

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:

 

Goodnight My Someone
by Ragna

 

 

They sat down next to each other, just touching, close to each other. Waiting for the door to open and the hateful words to start flying.
Buffy had called her father with a plea for something, and was surprised when her father agreed. In fact, Buffy's new apartment was already waiting for her. Her mom had pushed her too far, and telling her she couldn't hang out with Xander was the last straw.
"Think she'll be upset?" Buffy asked quietly, and Xander nodded.
"My parents wouldn't even care, I don't think. They know I need to be out on my own, so they wouldn't object, if I had a place to go."
Buffy looked at him. "Stay with me. I mean, it's a two bedroom apartment. You have a room and I have one. At least until your dorm opens up."
Xander nodded. "Sounds good." And then, the wait began again.
***
When Joyce came in at midnight or so, she was greeted with the sight of her daughter asleep in Xander's arms, and he was asleep as well. Breathing a small sigh of relief, her concerns rose again as she saw the smile on Buffy's face, the look of comfort and contentment.
Hank had already gotten a hold of her and told her about the apartment. It didn't come as a shock, really, and she was starting to rethink her attitudes about her daughter. If she liked Xander...at least it was better than a vampire who could kill if there was a true moment of happiness involved.
At least Xander was human.
But...he was so much like Hank that it was scary. Really, it was. Hank had been a charming man with an acerbic but hilarious wit, and Joyce had fallen for him immediately. And then, after the marriage, and Buffy's birth, things fell apart.
The humor went away, replaced with hurt feelings, hateful words and double standards, and Joyce didn't want Buffy to deal with it in what could be a very short life.
But it was also the reason she would not begrudge her daughter the chance to live on her own, to be an adult.
To have a life.
***
"Buffy? Wake up," Xander said gently. She stirred in his arms as her eyes fluttered open.
"Did we get yelled at and I just blocked it out of my memories?" she asked, yawning. Xander smiled and kissed the top of her head.
"No. But...there's a note." He pointed to a piece of paper on the coffeetable. She picked it up and read out loud.
"Dear Buffy, I know when you wake up I'll be at work, which is probably the best thing to happen. I think it is a good idea if you live on your own, but don't forget I'm your mother and I have the right to worry about you. Be careful. Love mom."
Xander shook his head. "So she's okay with it?"
"I guess." Sitting up, she turned and smiled at him. "Want to help me pack?"

 

end

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author Ragna.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.

Series this work belongs to: