Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Categories:
Fandoms:
Relationship:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
1,169
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
17
Bookmarks:
1
Hits:
1,390

When You Love Someone

Summary:

While Rogue regrets the past, she knows she can help Bobby make a better future for himself and John. Fourth in my *For My Broken Heart* series.

Work Text:

Rogue watched Bobby as he sat, thinking, at the kitchen table. She could easily tell what or rather, whom he was thinking about, and she couldn't help but feel a small sense of shame at her part in his turmoil. Even though she knew, in her heart, that she had done nothing wrong, it didn't help ease the guilt she felt about John and Bobby's relationship.

I think it was me; it mustve been me,
I guess I did something wrong.
I tried too hard, wanted too much,
I guess thats why hes gone.
I lost my pride, I fought and cried.
I felt like a little kid.
Whats wrong with me?
I still cant believe I did the things I did.

When shed first met Bobby, it had seemed like all her dreams had come true. Yes, it was true that, like her, he was a mutant, and that brought them together. But Bobby was so much more than a mutant. He was everything she had ever wanted in a guy, and she could tell all of it just from his warm smile and his bright eyes.

I couldnt change him, he was gonna break my heart.
I saw it coming, yeah; I knew it from the start. But . . .

At first she was so busy worrying about Logan and Magneto coming after her, she didn't notice John and heated looks he gave her. When she did notice them, she felt uncomfortable the other students might have thought John had a crush on her, but she knew better.

When you love
When you love someone like that, when you give what you cant take back.
When you love
With all your heart and soul, its so hard to let it go.
When you love someone like that.
Yeah, when you love someone like that.

She wished that she could claim she didn't know John was in love with Bobby. If she could, she might not feel so guilty.
But she'd be lying, and she knew it. After all, she'd touched him, she had him in her mind, and she knew how John felt.
Maybe that's why it hurt her so much.

Girl it aint right, it just aint right.
Dont tell yourself that it was you.
You followed your heart; you gave it your best.
Theres nothing more you can do.
Guys like him are like the wind, and you know its just too bad.
They blow in and out again, and never know what they had.

In fact, looking back on it, she realized that shed been trying for a long time to find reasons to break up with Bobby. She knew he'd never cheat on her, and certainly not with one of her best friends, but she just couldn't help herself. She felt all of Johns anger, his rage, and his heartache coming out inside of her, looking for release, looking for some small ounce of regret at what she and Bobby had done to him.

Girl, I can tell you, hell do the same to someone else.
It aint about you, so dont be so hard on yourself. Cause . . .

That was the main reason she took the cure, though shed never tell anyone. She couldn't bear to face John, not on the battlefield, not after what she'd done to him already.

When you love
When you love someone like that, when you give what you cant take back.
When you love
With all your heart and soul, its so hard to let it go.
When you love someone like that.
Oh, when you love someone like that.

It had cut to the quick when shed heard what had happened, that Bobby had had to fight John, and when Storm told her how John had reacted when shed gone to see him at the hospital, it cut her even deeper.
John fiery, passionate, rebellious John, who was as cold as Bobby's ice she couldnt believe it. It was so wrong, and yet she knew what had caused it, and how it could be fixed.
She just didn't know if she was strong enough to do it.

Oh weve all loved and lost, its happened to us all.
I hear what youre saying, but I feel like the only one.
You might feel that way but youre not.
Youre all right. Youre okay.
Youre gonna make it anyway.

Rogue forced herself out of her memories. After all, this was the present, and dwelling on the past wouldn't do anyone any good, at least not now.
Somehow she had to find a way to fix the mess she had made; it was the only way any of them would ever be at peace.

When you love someone like that,
When you love
With all your heart and soul, its so hard to let it go.
When you love,
When you love someone like that, when you give what you cant take back.
When you love
With all your heart and soul, its so hard to let it go.

Rogue squared her shoulders and started into the kitchen. Bobby might not have been her boyfriend any more, but he was her friend, and maybe now that Bobby wasn't between them, she and John could be friends, too.
She would like that.
She had made Bobby drag his head out of his ass once to go talk to John, and it looked like shed have to do it again. If they want to be stubborn, I'll show them what stubborn really means, she thought to herself as Bobby looked up and met her eyes.

When you love someone like that.
When you love someone like that.
When you love someone like that.
When you love someone like that.
Youre alright. Youre okay.
When you love someone like that

His voice was soft and a little tearful when he said, "Rogue?"
She tilted her head, not sure why he seemed so upset. "Yeah, Bobby?" she asked, her own voice just as quiet.
"I think I screwed up," he told her, his bottom lip trembling slightly. He looked off to the side.
Rouge's smile softened, and her voice was sad. "Yeah, honey, you sure did," she agreed, and sat down next to him. "But it's not too late for us to make it right. So lets try before you lose your chance to be happy."
He nodded, his jaw clenching in determination. Just tell me how, he told her.
She pulled him closer to her, whispering in his ear the idea that was forming in her mind.
And, judging by the grin he gave her, Bobby thought it was a good plan, too.

 

 

Id Love to thank Forestwater for betaing this story for me, really much to the credit goes to her for how well this one has turned out. So be sure to send her some rave reviews to okay. Well thanks for reading and I hope you all liked it, and I own nothing okay, so no sue. Well its been a blast, Bye.