Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Character:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
1,084
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
15
Hits:
1,325

Broken Bridges

Summary:

Jim comes to a life changing decision

Work Text:

 

 

Broken Bridges
J. Love
(
jl_foxy@pris.bc.ca )

Jim sat on the swing in the backyard of his house. He leaned forward and stared at his hands while pondering what his father had told him earlier that day. Or perhaps he should say ranted instead. It was another of his father's rants on the topic of what is actually possible for him to see and hear. He had sworn he told the truth when he had seen Bud's killer in the woods earlier today. Of course, his father brushed aside his claims as overactive imagination of a teenager. His father never even gave him a chance to explain or prove anything. Also, after the police had left, the mighty all-knowing William Ellison had proceeded to tell his oldest son that he would not tolerate any freakish behavior from the heir to the Ellison Corporation. William had also threatened that if he didn't learn to behave in a proper manner of an Ellison that there was a proper heir waiting in the wings in the form of Steven. Jim sighed as he contemplated his father and his words. Of course, his father insisted on calling him James despite Jim's wishes to the contrary. In fact, Jim felt that his father never listened to his wishes or even anything regarding Jim's life at all. The only thing that his father wanted was for his heir apparent to perform as a proper Ellison and present the proper image at all times. Displaying or even the faintest mention of any possible freakish abilities would never do. Jim raised his head as he heard his father enter the front door with Steven. Once again, Steven was regaling his father with his day's activities and his father was listening to him. For once, Jim wished his father would pay even a quarter of the attention that he paid to Steven and he certainly didn't count the lectures on proper behavior and appearance by an Ellison. Jim hoisted himself to his feet and went inside to dinner. He hoped there was not another lecture on conduct for dessert.

Indeed there was one for all of the meal with the eager fascination of Steven as a witness. That night Jim decided that he had to repress his abilities to survive in the Ellison household. Already, the competition set up by his father between his two sons was fierce. A prize held up to tantalize the winner of each contest set up by William. There is no way that he can compete with the constant dressing downs given because he did something that was supposed to be impossible. The death of Bud haunted Jim's dreams that night and he woke up no more rested than when he laid down. Bud was his mentor and friend. Jim felt lost without him anymore to turn to. Sally was a haven but her influence was limited. She couldn't protect Jim from his father; she could only empathize with him after his father had torn a strip off him. By the end of the week, Jim had suppressed any signs of his abilities along with any memory of Bud. Whether this was a healthy choice or not, it was done. However, the repression of his true self did nothing to improve home life for Jim Ellison. His father still had unrealistic expectations of his sons and forced them to compete constantly for his approval.

*```*```*```*

The final straw for Jim came with the promised oversea trip with their father on a business trip. It was competition that was fierce and finally won by Jim. However, Steven was jealous and planned to still win even it was through crooked methods. Once William Ellison left for the office, Steven started his father's prized car and let it roll down the hill to crash into the trees and rocks. He had overheard his father telling James that he was not allowed to take out the car anywhere that morning. When their father came home and discovered what had happened to his car, he immediately blamed Jim despite his protests of innocence. The punishment of course was that Jim would not go on the coveted trip with him next month, instead it would be Steven.

*```*```*```*

The day after his father and Steven had left for Europe, Jim packed the bare necessities leaving behind his childhood and everything else that he had collected while in this house. He never planned to return and didn't care what William Ellison did with it. Jim stopped by the kitchen to say goodbye to Sally and reassure her that he would be fine. He promised her that he would try to keep in touch with her but didn't plan to return. Jim then walked proudly out of the house and
walked to the nearest army recruitment office. He enlisted listing no next of kin to reach with the exception of Sally, his father's housekeeper. When questioned, he said he had no close relatives and that the only person to contact in case of emergency was Sally. The recruiter, who had heard of the Ellison Corporation, doubted that this was the truth but it wouldn't be the first time a child ran away and joined the army.

"Son, are you sure this is what you want to do?"

"Yes, Sir, I have thought about it carefully and I'm sure about enlisting."

"Well, you are legal age. However, I would prefer you take a week and think carefully about this decision. Discuss it with your family."

"Sir, as I have put down on my enlistment papers, my only contact in case of emergency is Sally. I have thought carefully about my decision and I don't plan on changing my mind."

The recruiter knew determination when he saw it and accepted the inevitable. "Alright son, if you'll sign in the indicated spaces, I'll process your enlistment into the army. There is a bus leaving later today for Fort Pendleton where you will take your basic training. Will there be any problem in making it for this time."

"No, Sir, I'm ready now," Jim said as he signed away the next five years of his life. He had requested a five year enlistment with the possibility of re-enlistment at the end of the five years.

The recruitment officer gave directions to Jim on where and when to catch the bus. Thus began Jim Ellison's life away from the influence of William Ellison and the Ellison Corporation.

End....