Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 1 of Love hurts
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
1,194
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
13
Hits:
1,247

Just a fight between friends

Summary:

Written for http://community.livejournal.com/10_hurt_comfort/. The prompt was fight.

Set after ‘Damaged'. Part 2 of the ‘Love hurts' series. After Derek found out about Penelope and Kevin his jealousy causes a bad fight.

Work Text:

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author.  The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise.  No copyright infringement is intended. 

AN: I decided to continue the story 'Love hurts' and... who knows. Maybe it's gonna be Morgan/Garcia in the end. :) I know, this might be a little AU or OOC - or both - but, well, I wanted them to have a talk about Kevin and that's what they came up with. Honestly, I'm not the one to blame for that fight!

"You and Kevin?" he burst out when he stormed into her office.

Startled Penelope turned around in her chair and looked at him. Then she asked in a low voice: "JJ told you?"

"No... well, yes" he mumbled, "but only ‘cause Kevin wanted to talk to Rossi and we were wondering why and then..."

"I can't believe he did this." she sighed.

"I... I didn't even know you were dating." he said trying to stay calm.

"We weren't" she sighed, "not really. It was... I... It just happened."

"Just... happened." he repeated and then sighed. Why had she done that? After everything they'd had?

"What?" Penelope crossed her arms in front of her chest and frowned at him. "You are allowed to lay whoever crosses your way and I'm not? Or do you just begrudge me to find someone who's interested in me?"

"I... I just thought that after everything we had..."

"Everything we had?" she yelled at him. "We didn't have ANYTHING!"

Derek was startled for a moment. What did she mean they didn't have anything? Had the mutual ‘I love you' not meant anything to her? She'd looked so touched when she'd said it back that he'd been sure she had actually meant it.

"Baby girl..." he finally tried.

"Don't baby girl me!" Penelope harshly interrupted him.

"What?" he asked a little puzzled.

She took a deep breath and finally looked at him when she said in a low voice: "I'm not your toy, Derek!"

All he could do in return was frown at her. "Penelope, I never thought of you as..."

"Yet you're behaving like a little kid with one of his toys." she snorted. "As long as no one wants me, you ignore me. But as soon as someone's paying me the least bit of attention you get jealous and suddenly are all attentive and pretend that I am more to you than just a friend. But you can't just put me into the next corner and forget about me and never make any move until some other man crosses my way and you get jealous again."

"I... I just wanted to give you time." he tried to defend himself.

"Giving me time my ass!" Penelope hissed.

He was starting to get impatient. No, actually he was about to get really pissed! So he crossed his arms in front of his chest and grumbled: "I'm sorry, I didn't know you would be such an easy lay."

"Kevin is serious about us." she yelled at him. "I wasn't just an easy lay for him as women usually are for you. He called me his girlfriend and he said he would never forget about last night. When was the last time you said that to any woman?"

"Oh, so that's what you think about me?" he yelled back at her. "That I just want to lay you."

"Me? Never!" she snorted. "Except you wanted to know what it's like to lay an oversized woman. This is all a big game for you, isn't it? But I'm sorry, I won't join in any longer."

"Oh, so you wanted to give me a ride and all you could think of was fucking the next best guy that crossed your way?!" the words had left his mouth before he could do anything to hold them back.

And then it happened. Penelope didn't even notice that she made this movement and Derek obviously didn't see it coming. But the next second her hand slapped his face the sound of that echoing in her office.

Penelope stared at him in shock.

And Derek stared back at her.

"Baby girl, I'm sorry, I..."

"Go." she said, her voice much too calm for a situation loaded with so much emotion.

Shit! "Please, let me explain! I..." he started again.

"Go!" she repeated, obviously trying not to yell at him again. "Before you can say anything more you might regret afterwards." She pushed him out of her office and slammed the door in his face. Then she leaned against it and panted with anger. How could he do this to her? Now that she'd finally managed to get over him and the pathetic little crush she had on him?

She sat back down in her chair and decided to concentrate on her work. But she couldn't stop the tears from running down her cheeks and dropping from her chin onto the red blouse she was wearing.

And that was how Kevin found her a few minutes after that.

"Penelope?" he carefully asked as he took a step closer.

"Hey." she sniffled and wiped the tears from her face.

"What's wrong?" he wanted to know, concern and confusion audible in his voice.

"Nothing." she assured and turned away from him.

"Everything is fine." he smiled in an attempt to comfort her. "I talked to Rossi. I know you didn't want me to do that but... I simply had to. And he said it was okay if our relationship doesn't affect our work."

"Good." she nodded.

"Good?" he gave her a puzzled look. "So... you're not mad at me or something?"

"No." she assured shaking her head to emphasize this word. And then she turned her head to smile at him. But when she remembered that he'd been the exact reason why she'd have a terrible fight with her best friend - and the man she simply couldn't stop loving no matter how hard she tried - new tears welled up in her eyes.

So Penelope quickly stood up and pulled Kevin into a tight embrace. At least she still had someone who could comfort her.

Not knowing what else to do Kevin returned the embrace. If only she would trust him enough to tell him what had happened so he could do something to make it better. But maybe he should just be glad that she wasn't mad at him for talking to Rossi and that he now was allowed to hold her even in her office. "I love you." he whispered.

"I know." was all Penelope could sob in return. She closed her eyes and cherished the feeling of warmth this embrace sent through her body. Of course, it wasn't the same but at least it was real.

After all, it had just been a stupid little fight between friends. No big deal. She would forget about it and keep flirting and bantering with Derek as if nothing ever happened - even though she knew it would never be the same again.

Series this work belongs to: