Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Completed:
2008-04-20
Words:
1,596
Chapters:
5/5
Kudos:
21
Hits:
2,953

Project Delta

Summary:

(Sequel to Tragic Love)

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Chapter 1: Chapter 1

Chapter Text

 


Project Delta
(Sequel to Tragic Love)
By Sephiroth
Sephiroth@map.com

 

Heero clutched the braid he'd worn about his wrist for the past five years. Life had been hard for the group without Duo there to spread a little laughter into their midst. Each pilot had tried to lighten the others' spirits, but there was no way one of them could laugh or smile without all of them being reminded of Duo. As the time wore on, the smiles and laughter faded from them. Now, none of them could truly recall the last time they'd smiled, or the last time they'd laughed.

The phone rang and Quatre picked it up. "Yes?" He listened carefully. "Sir, none of us are up to taking on a new project. I'm sorry. Yes, sir, I understand. No sir, I do not think Alaska would be a good place to patrol, sir. Yes, we'll do it, sir." He hung up the phone.

"The Brass." he muttered. "They want us to monitor Project Delta. Whatever the hell that is."

"For how long?" Heero asked, he wasn't really up to talking, but anything, he thought, to get his mind off how much he missed Duo.

"Unspecified." Quatre replied.

"Question. What the hell is Project Delta?"

"I don't know. But we're supposed to pick it up at the airport."

"How are we going to pick up a top secret military project at a public airport when we don't even know what to look for?"

"They said we'll know it when we see it."

Heero nodded. "So, when are we to pick it up?"

"In ten minutes." Quatre replied.

They arrived at the airport and waited for several minutes, watching each passenger for any type of package that might contain military secrets.

Heero suddenly jumped straight up several feet as a suction-cup dart struck the back of his spandex shorts. He removed it, his eyes narrowing as he scanned the crowd, searching for the child who'd shot him. He wasn't angry. He just wanted to give the kid their toy back.

The four year-old smiled up from under the rim of his cap as he accepted the toy back.

"Thank you." the boy said. "My name's Delta."

Heero blinked. "What?" he asked, sounding a bit flummoxed.

The boy smiled at the braid around Heero's wrist. "Cool! You got a braid, too? Here, check this out!" he took his cap off, revealing the braid which reached down to the middle of his back.

Heero felt the room spinning as shock overtook him.

"Duo." was the last thing he managed to say before he fainted.