Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Characters:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 1 of The Travellers Series
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
579
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
10
Bookmarks:
1
Hits:
1,341

Pilgrims' Progress

Summary:

Fandom: AtS post NFA
Characters: Spike, Angel
Rating/Warnings: none
Summary: post NFA Spike returns to the crater that was Sunnydale and finds an old friend.

Work Text:

 

 

Pilgrims' Progress
by Lilithangel
http://www.livejournal.com/users/lilithbint



He found her in a field just outside the crater that had been Sunnydale. He had never felt the need to return until after L.A was returned to human realms. It was a pilgrimage of sorts to follow the path he had taken to get to who he was now. He had walked away from L.A and hadn't stopped till he found himself here.

There wasn't much left, but it was definitely her. They had been together a long time and he knew every inch of her body intimately. Her soft curves were gouged and ragged now; the things he had done so they could spend the days together were worn and torn away.

Her outer body was slowly decaying and someone had taken her tyres so she sat crooked and forlorn.

He crooned softly to her running his hands over her body remembering what he had been when they had been together. Mourning the freedom lost as much as her.

He climbed inside avoiding the sharp rusted springs impaling the seat and sat behind the steering wheel. People had obviously been having sex in her and doing less savoury things and he apologised to her again. Somehow had scratched most of the paint off the windscreen so he could see outside across the abandoned field to where the harsh edge of the crater defiled the landscape.

"Been watching for me ever since have you old girl?" he said, softly running his hands across her steering wheel, blessedly untouched. He hummed some Sex Pistols under his breath to make her feel good and it was almost as if he had never left.

He let his eyes drift shut to remember when they were both younger. He felt his first twinge of sadness for the man whose life he stole to possess her but couldn't regret it. She had looked after him so well for years, been his home for many of them. He had brought her to Sunnydale and it had been the death of her too. So many deaths on his soul but he was honest enough to admit that he really only cared about the ones that mattered to him. The others were regretted but gone.

He watched the stars move through the windscreen and knew it was time to move on. He rested his head against the steering wheel for a moment in farewell and then climbed out feeling as old and rusted as she was.

In the darkness he could feel his watcher. They didn't speak but Spike always knew he was there. Following and watching. They were both on a pilgrims' progress although neither knew where they were going. He had a feeling that Angel would never stop watching over him. Once he craved that attention, now it was his penance. The silent watcher reminding and being reminded of what they had lost and what they had become.

They both fed when they needed to, without killing and without drawing attention to themselves. They stayed away from settlements as much as possible with Spike leading and Angel always following.

"Alaska might be nice at this time of year," he said to the sky, "or maybe South America. Dru always liked Argentina. Never did like the cold myself so Argentina it is."

They had started walking without reason and would just have to see where they ended up. They would walk until the world turned to dust around them and maybe then they would be granted rest.

END

Series this work belongs to: