Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
672
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
8
Hits:
1,350

Deleted Scene: Six of One

Summary:

small scene set during "Six of One" -- For once, Adama's the one who's had too much to drink

Work Text:

For once, he’s the one who’s had a little too much to drink. We’re sitting in my quarters and I’m watching him. He slams another drink back and throws the glass against the bulk head. “Frak her!”

There’s something wild in his eyes and I know that feeling of anger all too well. I’ve never had much luck controlling my own temper. I’m not sure what to do or say to soothe the hurt beast inside of him.

He takes a shuddering breath and I can see the tremors run through him. “That bitch!” he snarls. “In one breath, she can call me a fool for wanting to believe Starbuck and tell me that I’m too buckled down on the inside! Afraid to live alone!”

I rub the back of my neck. My throat is dry. I hide my shaking hands under the table.

He takes a drink straight out of the bottle. “Damn right, I’m afraid. We’re all afraid! That bitch thinks I’m made out of stone. She can play the compassionate leader while I have to be the iron fist backing her up. She’d be ready to follow Billy if he climbed out of that viper.”

I hate hearing him admit to the fear. We all have it. We deserve it. We’ve survived the genocide of the human race and being chased by the cylons. Anyone would be completely nuts if they weren’t afraid.

Still, he never shows it to anyone but me, Lee, and that idiot Laura Roslin. He’s our rock and he knows it. He’s never run from that responsibility.

I wish I could march up to Roslin and give her a piece of my mind. She knows Starbuck’s reappearance and Lee’s leaving are tearing him up inside. She needs to get off her damned moral high horse.

He holds the almost empty bottle on his lap and stares at the wall. His voice is bitter. “The great prophet can’t even entertain the possibility that Kara is right.”

“Bill,” I try. I still don’t know what to say.

He glares at me. “I don’t want to hear it, Saul. I know all the reasons not to trust Kara. I’ve been over this with Roslin more times than I can count. I know them, but this is Kara.” He finishes the bottle. His shoulders slump and he drops the bottle on the floor. He leans forward, rests his elbows on his knees, and buries his face in his hands. “I know it is,” he whispers.

Seeing him like this twists my stomach in knots. I kneel in front of him and wrap my arms around him. “I’m sorry, Bill.”

He grabs the front of my uniform. “She’s not a cylon.”

The words are out before I can stop them. “I know she’s not,” I whisper with complete certainty. I know I would feel it if she was.

I tense. I pray that he doesn’t ask me how I know. I might just be dumb enough to tell him. I’ve never been able to lie to him.

He sags against me. “I can’t lose her again but I don’t know what to do.”

I pull him up and take his arm over my shoulder. I wrap my arm around his waist. “You’ll figure something out. Right now, you’re gonna get some sleep.”

“That bitch is still in my quarters,” he answers but doesn’t put up much of a fight.

I walk him to my rack and sit him down on the edge. “That’s why you’re gonna sleep here. That’s an order, Admiral.”

He manages a half smile. “Yes, Sir.” It disappears quickly. “Don’t leave.”

I push him to lay down and take his boots off. “Of course not. I’m not as popular as you.” I try to make my voice light as I climb in next to him. “I’m not the one expected to be three or four places at once.”

He rests his head on my shoulder and nuzzles the side of my neck. “Thanks for listening, Saul.”

I rub his back. I feel him slowly begin to relax. “It’s the least I can do. I’m always at the Admiral’s service.”