Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Characters:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
3,314
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
15
Hits:
904

The Best Laid Plans

Summary:

FANDOM: "Farscape"
PAIRING: None.
RATING: PG-13.
STATUS: New.
ARCHIVE: Yes. Just let me know where.
FEEDBACK: Welcomed
SERIES/SEQUEL: First Part of a Two Part story.
SUMMARY: "Pilot is suffering the effects of some mysterious illness. While down
on a commerce planet looking for a solution, Crichton and Chiana get separated from D'Argo and Rygel."
The usual disclaimers apply. No infringement of copyright is intended.

Work Text:

 

"THE BEST LAID PLANS"
A "Farscape" story
Written by Alison M. DOBELL
http://www.carlajane.50megs.com/Ali00.html
* * * * *

It was so rare that anything affected Pilot that Aeryn was close to panic. Deep inside irrational fears were at war with her Sebacean common sense. What if they could not find out what was wrong? What if he deteriorated? Her heart missed a frantic beat. *What if he died?* Pilot did his best to reassure her.

"Aeryn, Zhaan will find out what is wrong and I will be well again. Do not worry."

She could not help it. Aeryn sat on his console and stroked his glistening cheek. She had never known him have a temperature before. It frightened her and when she looked deep into her friend's eyes she could see it frightened him too. Aeryn had felt the first symptoms. She had been in the mess hall with the others. Laughing at some absurd joke of the Dominar's that was too disgusting to warrant repeating and had them laughing as much in surprise as in humour. Part of her dearly hoped she would never spend time on Rygel's home planet of Hyneria much as she hoped he would one day go home and reclaim his throne. Some Hynerian practices she really did not need to witness close at hand to be suitably revolted.

Her hand shifted to his other cheek. Sure he was even hotter now than he had been a microt ago. "Zhaan!"

Zhaan replied on the com immediately. "How is he, Aeryn?"

"Not good. Get up here!"

"I'm on my way!"

Zhaan grabbed some of her things and ran. Flying down the corridor she passed Crichton who quickly ran alongside her, his face creased in worry. They reached Pilot's den together. Zhaan steadied her breath and took over from Aeryn, her hands feeling Pilot's face and alarmed by the continued rise in his body temperature. Crichton was standing on the balls of his feet, his weight moving from foot to foot as he craned his neck to see what was happening. Zhaan looked at him. "We *have* to get his temperature down, John."

He nodded. "I'm on it." Then he turned and ran out of the den.

Aeryn looked helplessly at Zhaan. "What can I do?"

"Go and help John."

She nodded and took off after Crichton. "Where are you going?"

"Mess hall."

"How can you think of food at a time like this?"

"I'm not hungry, Aeryn."

"Then what?"

They arrived at the mess hall to find it empty. Crichton started to go through their store of supplies. Baffled, Aeryn frowned at him. "What in the name of Cholak are you looking for?"

"Something cold," He mumbled, his hands moving quickly dismissing some things, piling others up at his feet. "Got to get the big guy's temperature down, Aeryn." He flicked a glance at her. "I could use a little help here."

Aeryn knelt down next to him and copied his actions. Soon they had a pile of cold taleka gels and mangol vots as well as assorted preservative fluids for the marjohls and other Hynerian delicacies. "Rygel is not going to like this. Without these preservatives his food will not keep."

"Rygel's not gonna know and right now I'm more concerned about Pilot."

Just then they heard the Dominar's voice. "What's Rygel not going to know?"

Crichton bit his lip and closed his eyes a microt. Aeryn hid the smile forming. It was not funny she knew. She averted her eyes from John and let him explain. He turned and scooped up his find placing the food items in a heap on the nearest table, Aeryn helping him pile them up. Rygel's eyes widened in horror and disbelief.

"What the yotz do you think you are doing?"

"Can it Rygel, this is for Pilot."

The Dominar frowned, moving closer on his thronesled, idenitfying the items like the connoisseur he was. "Need I remind you Pilot does not take food orally like the rest of us. He is nourished directly through his bonding with Moya..."

"Yeah," Said Crichton, not bothering with niceties. They simply did not have time. Pilot did not have time. "I know that Buckwheat but Pilot may be dying so I really don't give a rat's ass."

His words penetrated. Shocked the Dominar. He looked at Crichton in concern. "Dying?"

"Yeah well, maybe not right this microt but he's deteriorating so fast we fear the worst."

Rygel's eyes slid back to the mountain of food. He pointed a small hand at it. "And you think this will help?"

"I don't know, Rygel. He's burning up real fast. Zhaan doesn't know what's wrong though she's trying everything she can. We have to try and bring his body temperature down..."

"And that's why your picking out all the cold storage foods? Yes, yes, I understand."

Aeryn looked at him. "Then you'll help us?"

He gave her a startled look. "Of course I'll help you."

Crichton could have kissed him. Aeryn gave him a sceptical look. "No offence, Rygel, but what can you do?"

"Well," Said the Dominar thoughtfully. "You need something to carry the food in before it gets too warm and melts, making it useless for Pilot and inedible for the rest of us."

Aeryn and Crichton exchanged a little look. <Thinking with your stomach again, Ryge?> Thought Crichton. To their surprise, the little Dominar lowered his throne sled and stepped out of it. They had to crane their necks in a downward direction just to make eye contact. He looked cross at the expressions on their faces.

"Well? What the yotz are you waiting for? Put the food in the thronesled and get it to Pilot. Or do I have to do everything myself?"

Crichton grinned at him then jumped down and began filling the sled, Aeryn only a microt behind him. "No, no, Rygel, good thinking."

Once they had filled it Crichton and Aeryn hurried off to Pilot's den. Rygel sighed and walked over to the food store. All this thinking was making him decidedly hungry.

* * * * *

D'Argo walked into the den to see one of the weirdest sights immaginable. Pilot was sitting looking miserable and dejected, almost completely covered in the three main food groups all of which were thawing too rapidly on his burning skin. Crichton was worried. He did not know what else to do. Zhaan had taken a blood sample and was in the apothecary examining it for clues.  Aeryn was stroking Pilot's cheek, her eyes sad and close to tears.

"John. Aeryn. There is a commerce planet ahead. We can be there in a couple of arns. I will go down and see if I can find anything to help Pilot."

Crichton nodded. "Good idea, big D. I'll come with you."

"I'm staying with Pilot," said Aeryn.

Both men nodded then Chiana came in. "Hey, how's Pilot?"

"Not good, Chi."

She tilted her head, worry showing on her white face. "Anything I can do?"

"Not unless you know how to lower his temperature." Said Aeryn.

Chiana shook her head. "Sorry. I normally raise people's temperatures..."

"Not now Chi," Responded Crichton, rolling his eyes.

She looked surprised. "What? What did I say?"

D'Argo snorted at her. "Nothing Chiana."

She followed them out of the den, having to hurry to keep up with their brisk strides. "Where are you going?"

"Down to the planet." Said D'Argo.

"Planet? What planet? Why wasn't I told there was a planet?"

"Moya has just detected the presence of a commerce planet. We should be there in a couple of arns. John and I are going down in a transport to see if we can find anything to help Pilot."

"Then I'm coming too."

The men stopped. D'Argo tilted his head at her. "I do not think that is a good idea, Chiana. This is not a pleasure trip."

Looking hurt she tilted her face abruptly, looking more child-like than ever. "Hey! I just want to help."

Crichton looked at her. "You want to help?" She nodded. "You won't wander off and get us into a whole load of dren?"

She put on her most innocent look. "How many times do I have to say it? I want to help."

He looked at D'Argo and nodded. "Okay, but you stay close, you don't wander off, you don't make any of the locals mad, and when we leave you leave."

"Whatever you say."

The men exchanged another look then sped up, Chiana matching them stride for stride as they made for the transport. When they got there they were surprised to see Rygel waiting for them, newly reunited with his cleaned out thronesled and a heavy sack.

"What do you think you're doing, Buckwheat?"

"I'm coming with you. You may need someone to negotiate."

"That's okay. You stay here on Moya and we'll let you know if we need more help." Said Crichton.

"If Chiana can go so can I."

"Chiana wants to help." Said D'Argo.

"So do I!" Rygel said with imperial dignity. That stopped them in their tracks. He had, after all, offered up his thronesled and not griped about the use of the food to help Pilot.

"Okay, Guido. What's in the sack?"

Rygel gave a grim smile. "We'll need something for trade."

Chiana tried to get close to the bag but Rygel held it tightly. "What's in the bag?"

"None of your business!"

Crichton intervened. "Okay, we don't have time for this. If you're coming come on."

Chiana hesitated. "Shouldn't we wait for Zhaan?"

"She's not coming. As soon as Zhaan can figure what's wrong with Pilot and what we need to put it right she'll com us. We don't know how much time we've got so we're going straight down to the planet now."

"You think, you think Pilot's gonna *die*?"

D'Argo answered, his deep voice solemn. "We do not know Chiana but we will do everything we can to make sure that does not happen."

* * * * *

The planet surface was dry and arid. The place looked pretty barren with strange coloured hues to the rocks and sand. In the sky hung twin moons, one partly obscured by the other. The half-light made everything look eerie but despite how late it must be the market place was busy.

"Must be a 24/7."

D'Argo frowned at the human and gripped his qualta blade a little more tightly. Not sure if that implied a threat. "A what?"

"It means open around the clock, twenty four hours a day."

The Luxan shook his head. He would never get used to Crichton's bizarre Earth sayings.

"Then why didn't you say that?" He grumbled crossly.

"I just did."

Chiana hid a smile. Rygel tapped his com. "Zhaan?"

"Yes, Rygel?"

"Any news on Pilot?"

"No, not yet, but I can tell it does not look like a virus."

Crichton was frowning. "What does that leave us?"

Zhaan's voice floated back slowly, as if she were thinking through all the options. "He has not been poisoned and there are no foreign bodies in his system."

"So what, Zhaan, are you saying this is *natural*?"

A pause. They stopped walking and waited for Zhaan's response.

"I do not know, John, but it is possible..."

Her voice trailed off. Uncertain.

"What's possible? Come on Zhaan, we need a clue here."

"I will need to do some more tests."

The com went off and Crichton gave the others a blank look. "What the hell did that mean?"

"It means," Said D'Argo taking a step towards the market place, "That she does not know."

Rygel looked at the hundreds of stalls and sighed. "We should split up or we'll be here forever."

Crichton did not like the sound of that but the Dominar was making sense. "Okay, but we stay in touch with our coms. Ask around, see if you can find anyone who knows about Pilots. It may be some natural thing or even an allergy. Hell, I don't know I'm flying by the seat of my pants here. I'd look around for a fridge but I don't think I could get one big enough even if they had one."

D'Argo did not understand half that Crichton said but he got the gist of it. Stepping forward he chose a direction. "I will go this way."

"Take Rygel with you."

He looked at Crichton then nodded. "Do *not* get lost."

"Hey, I don't get lost."

D'Argo looked at Chiana. "And do *not* get into trouble, Chiana."

"That isn't fair."

As the two groups split up, D'Argo paused and looked at Crichton and Chiana. He shook his head ruefully, his tenkas swaying as he did so. "I do not know which is more foolish. Trusting myself to Rygel's negotiating skills or expecting you two to stay out of trouble."

"D'Argo, we don't need this. We're all here for the same reason."

The Luxan nodded, wished them luck, then disappeared into the crowds with Rygel. Within microts neither of them could be seen. It gave Crichton an unsettled feeling in his stomach. Chiana nudged him. "Hey! Shouldn't we be moving too? You know, looking around, asking questions?"

"Huh? Yeah, Chiana. Come on."

They searched for arns. Asking questions, checking wares, but no one knew much about Pilots and if they did they were not telling. Crichton was beginning to feel a sense of dispair and though it had not got any darker he felt as if he was stuck in the Twilight Zone. His com activated and Zhaan's excited voice stopped him in his tracks. Chiana looked at him expectently.

"John! D'Argo! I've found it, I've found out what's wrong with Pilot!"

A big smile broke out on Crichton's face. "Hey that's great Zhaan! I knew you could do it. Now what do we need to get?"

"No, John, you don't understand. We don't need anything."

Crichton looked at Chiana, she looked equally puzzled. Then he heard D'Argo's voice querying the Delvian P'au. "Then why are we down here?"

"I thought it must be some kind of fever, malady. Like a desease but it isn't. I don't know why I didn't think of it before. I asked Moya, but Moya didn't know, so I found the memory-grams of the first Pilot."

Crichton was shocked, thinking back to the tape of how the first Pilot had died and Aeryn Sun's part in all that. Some memories did *not* need resurrecting. "You did *what*?"

"It's alright John. Pilot knew what I was doing and why. The first Pilot was a lot older than our Pilot so had already been through this before."

"Through what, Zhaan?"

"Pilot has been adjusting from childhood to adulthood, John. His body has been changing accordingly. It is all perfectly natural and now his temperature is returning to normal. Within a few arns he will be himself again." The human threw back his head and laughed. "You mean this is puberty?"

Chiana looked at him in a puzzled fashion. "What's puberty?"

"It's growing up, Chi. In my people it's the time when we leave childhood behind and become responsible adults."

She frowned, not really liking the sound of that. "You mean boring."

He was about to disagree with her then thought about it and smiled. "Yeah, you could put it like that."

"So what happens when humans reach....*pu-ber-ty*?"

His smile widened at her careful pronunciation of the strange word. "Well," He had relaxed now that the panic was over, was walking aimlessly around the stalls, his eye flicking over the various things on offer but not really focusing on any of them. She realised he was happy and that made her happy. "It's different for men and women on my homeworld. When the men get to a certain age their voices break and..."

"Break?" She looked alarmed.

Crichton laughed. "No, no, it's an expression Pip. It means a boy's voice becomes a man's voice, you know - gets *deeper*. More masculine."

She liked the sound of that. "And the women?" She asked coyly, sashaying her hips slightly as she spoke.

"Women go through this whole menstruation thing. It's like a dry run for the body in anticipation of the time they will be able to bear children."

She was frowning again. "What is it exactly?"

He stopped and thought about that for a moment. It was one of the things she liked about him, his efforts to always be as honest with her as he could be. She knew that if he did not know he would not lie, he would tell her he did not know. But sometimes. Just sometimes. She wished he would lie.

"Um, human women carry their young in the womb. A cavity inside their stomachs. This womb is equipped for the baby complete with everything the child is going to need such as connection to the mother, blood, sustenance, the whole package. The body in getting ready for this new stage starts to bleed at regular monthly intervals - every monen - and this makes sure the equipment will work when it's needed for the baby."

Chiana screwed up her face. She did not like the sound of that at all. He smiled at her and started walking again. "Don't the Nebari have the same thing?"

"No, the females only bleed when they give birth."

"Lucky you."

She looked startled. "Me?"

Crichton stopped and looked at her. She felt her mouth go dry but he did not notice. "Yeah. It means when you have children you won't have to go through years of menstruation. There's also a side effect. Because their bodies are changing, the chemicals altering and so on, they have this depressive state called PMS."

"What's that?"

He wondered how best to explain it to her. "Imagine Aeryn really pissed off all the time."

She laughed. "So Aeryn has this PMS?"

He laughed back, enjoying the joke. "Okay, bad analogy." He chuckled, realising it was not a bad analogy at all. Just a little too close to home for a certain Sebacean's comfort. He stopped suddenly realising they were lost. "Uh, Chi?"

"Yeah?"

"Do you know which way we have to go to get to the transport?"

She looked around and shook her head. "No. Didn't you pick out any landmarks?"

He looked at her. "What landmarks? This place is one big market place. All I see are stalls and stalls and more stalls!"

She grinned wickedly at him. "And we're low on supplies."

He frowned. "Chiana..."

She gave him an innocent look. "Hey, we're looking for the transport right? What harm can it do to pick some supplies? It'll save another trip down to the planet right?"

He had to admit she had a point. He commed his link. "Hey, D'Argo, you hear me?"

"Yes, John."

"Where are you?"

"Back at the transport pod."

"Um, we have a little difficulty in that department..."

"I knew it," Said D'Argo crossly. "You are lost!"

"It's not my fault, everywhere looks the same round here."

"I knew I should not have let you and Chiana go together."

"Hey, D'Argo it's alright okay? While we're here we'll pick up some supplies then we'll com you and Pilot can give you our location. All you have to do is come and get us."

"That is a stupid idea."

"But you'll do it, right?"

A pause. "How long do you need?"

He thought about that for a microt. "I don't know, how about three or four arns?"

"I'll return for you in two."

"Return? Where are you going?"

"Back to Moya to drop off a certain Hynerian who will be throttled if I have to put up with any more of his dren!"

"I heard that, Luxan!" Said Rygel in the background.

D'Argo sighed then shut off the com. Crichton looked at Chiana. "Okay Chi, we have two arns. Let's make them count."


END