Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Relationship:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 2 of Happily Ever After
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
576
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
14
Hits:
1,332

Nightingales

Summary:

Fandom: Torchwood
Genre: Valentine schmoop.
Characters: Jack (as James Harper)/real!Jack
Summary: for the at_the_ritz valentine challenge. For a previous challenge I wrote A bedtime story. This takes place earlier on in that universe. Sharing a perfect Valentines Day.

Work Text:

 

Nightingales
by Lilithangel
http://www.livejournal.com/users/lilithbint

James guided the blindfolded Jack forward and then pulled the blindfold free. "I tried to get it as close as possible, what do you think?"

Jack blinked and looked around. The room was done out like a 1930's ballroom and he had to smile. "The Ritz ballroom," he said turning to James.

James smiled shyly, "last time we were here things were pretty crazy, and I wanted to do things right this time."

"It felt pretty right last time," Jack said with a smile.

"This time I'm not going anywhere though." James led him upstairs to the balcony table where they had sat together that first night. This time the table had a selection of delicacies laid out on a large white plate, a champagne bucket with champagne and glasses, along with a glass of scotch and a glass of water.

A band set up down below and began to play a selection of tunes Jack recognised from that time so long ago. "Has it only really been a year?" he asked as they enjoyed the champagne.

"A year and a hundred more," James said with a laugh.

"That would be why it feels so much longer." He looked into James' eyes and saw the still raw anguish there. "I was willing to die that day, but I'm glad I didn't."

"It was the hardest thing I've ever had to do in my life," James said, "walking away from you knowing what was going to happen."

Jack reached out and caressed his cheek, "but it didn't and I'm here now."

James leaned into his touch with a sigh, "and this time we can finish our dance."

The band started the intro to Berkeley Square and Jack extended his hand to James again. They walked down the stairs together and onto the dance floor.

They had barely been apart since the day the Doctor plucked Jack from his burning plane and brought him home to James. There was no hesitancy in their dancing now, but they held on just as tight as the first time.

It had taken Jack time to adjust to what had happened and who James really was. In the end James had given up the name he had carried with pride and took on the name that Jack knew with love.

It was a strange new world James inhabited but Jack loved it. He loved the challenge of Torchwood and he loved being with James, however long they had. It had been hard to learn of everything that was gone from his past, but James was his future and he didn't want to be anywhere else but in James' arms.

When the music stopped James pulled back from Jack and knelt in front of him. "You have made me a better man Captain Jack Harkness, before you knew me and after you danced with me. Be mine?" James fumbled in a pocket and a ring box tumbled onto the floor at Jack's feet.

Jack knelt and picked up the box and helped James to his feet. "I already am," he said, kissing away James' blush. Opening the box he took out the two simple gold rings and placed one on James' finger. James placed the other on his finger and kissed him again.

Every kiss meant as much as the first one, conveying all the love they shared between them.

"Just one more thing," James said nervously, "how do you feel about being a father?"

END

Series this work belongs to: