Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Completed:
2008-03-26
Words:
11,906
Chapters:
8/8
Kudos:
11
Hits:
2,680

The Price of Honor a HtLj tale by Rielle and Jael

Summary:

Iolaus finds himself in a classic double-bind. Should he go with Hercules to quash the latest war rampage Ares has unleashed, or go to meet and help a tiny princess whose life is in danger, and closely linked to his own.

Chapter 1: Chapter 1/8

Notes:

Description: This story is about "Iolaus and the no -win scenario",
but in a very light hearted fashion. And in fact it began in response
both to that concept and to the idea that an interesting and engaging
story might be told where no one, including our Golden Hero is
seriously damaged either physically or emotionally. Please send
praise as lavishly as you like and leave your complaints with Joxer
at the door, who appears herein, albeit,briefly.

Disclaimers: Hercules, Iolaus, Alcmene, Niobe, Jason, Iphicles,
Gabrielle and Xena as well as a few other supporting characters
appearing herein are solely the property of Pacific Renaissance
Pictures and MCA Universal. There is no intent in this work of
fiction to infringe on their copyrights in any way.Jael, queen of
Corinth, is the fictional creation and sole property of her creatrix,
the bard eponymously named Jael, and appears in this work of fiction
with the express and very kind permission of that author.

For more on Jael, look for stories in an arc titled "Iphicles and the
Shulammite Woman".If this work of fiction were a film, its rating
would most likely be NC-13 or possibly NC-17. Adult situations and
dialogue are used herein some of which may suggest consensual
intimate relationships between characters of opposite genders, and of
the same gender. Those persons who may find such situation's
offensive, and those under the age of 18, please read no further.

 

Posting this story to the 'net again reminds me that it was written a goodly length of time before the tragically untimely death of Kevin Todd Smith who gave such amazing life to so many characters, including Iphicles, King of Corinth. All his many, many fans still love and miss 'Kiv' greatly. And we all are immensely grateful for the work you shared so lovingly and happily with us all, Dear Sir.

Lastly, no toddler age heiresses of any kingdoms were harmed in the
production of this work of fiction.

Chapter Text

The Price of Honor an Alternative Hercules: The Legendary Journeys

The Price of Honor an Alternative Hercules: The Legendary Journeys
tale by Rielle and Jael.after Reunions, & *Stronger than Death" story
arc by the bard Jael


Part 1
Iolaus didn't know whether to cry or laugh. One look at Jason's face told him neither was a good option and the latter was by far the worse. Smothering his first reaction with one hand, the hunter turned away for an instant and then turned back to his friend again. "So, you fell off the roof?" he asked, working hard to look concerned and sympathetic while a laugh nearly choked him. "Which roof? Where?"

Jason's face held not even a hint of amusement. "The roof over the far end of the courtyard. It started to rain and those tiles are slippery as fishtails when they're wet. I just wanted to get the repair work done. Someone called and I wasn't paying attention and I. . . fell."

"So your leg's broken? How badly?" Iolaus bent down to examine the wood and leather splint that held Jason's left leg immobile.

"Badly enough to be a blasted bother." The former monarchreplied, "Not badly enough to hurt."

"Not that you'd admit it hurt worse than Tartarus, if it did." The hunter muttered, grinning to himself.

"I heard that." Jason grumbled. "Its my leg that's broken, Iolaus, not my ear!"

"Are you sure its not your sense of humor?" a musical voice asked from the threshold and both men turned their gazes. There they saw a woman elegantly robed, smiling at them. Her golden brown eyes were alight, her long sandy hair bound up with ribbons that matched her deep blue gown. Her arms reached out to embrace both men as she entered the room, laughing.

"Jael!" Iolaus and Jason called out the name of the queen of Corinth.

"Her very self!" a deeper voice answered and Jael's king and consort, Iphicles walked in behind his wife."She insisted on coming to fuss over you. I simply tagged along because I wasn't able to believe the report I got. Jason, you fell off the roof?"

"Why does everybody ask me that?" Jason complained. "Yes, I fell off the roof. Yes, I broke my leg. No, I don't need anyone fussing! Does that answer all your questions?"

"No. Actually, I have one more." Jael responded as she hugged her father by law. "Just how far back were you stepping to admire your repair work when this happened? Even kings can't walk on air, last I heard."

Jason shook his head and laughed at himself with Jael. "No, not that I know of, either. But I'll survive. I've had a few wounds and sprains and such in my life before now."

"Haven't we all?" Jael agreed. "Well, I've brought, or maybe I should say, I'm returning something Hercules brought me sometime back; something that might prove useful. Of course, I had it reworked for your use." She nodded to Iphicles, who turned around and called to someone waiting outside. Within moments, two guards carrying in a very large, very bulky item covered in a rough-woven cloth.

"Jael, what . . ."Iolaus started to ask and then fell silent as she wordlessly requested. "Until I was well again, Jason, this was a wonderful help to me. I think Hercules will approve my returning the favor." Jael said and pulled the rough covering off.

Next to her stood a wheeled chair that Daedalus had first made for Jael, at
Hercules' request. Fortunately, she no longer needed the device to get around. Her own two legs now sufficed very well, when a queenly carriage was not available. However, the second queen of Corinth never forgot her brother by law's aid and comfort.

"Speaking of Hercules, when will he be home again?" Jason asked.

"I'm not sure." Iolaus responded, shrugging. "Herc said he was needed to help Hades with something. I told him, if it was all the same, I'd stay away from Tartarus, *or* Ellysia, for the time being."

"Jael," Jason grinned, as he turned around and around on the wheeled chair. "This is great. I really. . . I'd forgotten all about this. Thank you."

"Well, you should thank her. My idea was to have a team of men and another team of horses come down here and drag you up to the palace so she could look after you there." Iphicles interjected. "My queen would have none of that. She said just because someone's injured doesn't mean they need a palace full of people hovering and gawking and whispering behind every drapery in the place."

"Yes I did." Jael agreed. "I said most people heal better in their own homes, not where they can't find anything and have to ask someone every time they turn around. They do sometimes need someone to come over and ask, 'How are you getting on?' So, Jason, how are you getting on?"

"Not too badly, really, Jael, thanks so much. It will be much better, now. You know how I hate being stuck anywhere. Did Daedalus come down from his workshop to rebuild that for me? I should thank him, too."

"He sent one of his apprentices. A really talented young woman." Jael shook her head. "Her name's Sofia. She's got quite a head on her shoulders." Laughing, the queen went on, "I saw that look, Iolaus. She's going home today."

Everyone in the room laughed at that remark, even the hunter, whose color rose slightly.

"Look? What look?" he asked, failing completely to look more innocent than interested. Jael shook her head at the man she knew so well.

"Oh Lord, God of my people, Maker of all Creation," she began to say in a reverent tone. "I thank Thee heartily for creating one man who *never* changes." Then she embraced Iolaus warmly to make up for the jest and turned back to Jason.


"You know, there are very few women who can scorn me that way and make me like it." Iolaus grinned.

"Did he say very few?" Jael asked Jason and the others. When they all nodded, she turned back to the hunter. "You *did* say very few women?"

"Uh huh." Iolaus nodded, "Very few."

Suspiciously, the queen studied his ruddy features, fair hair and clear blue eyes. "And your name would be . . .?" she asked him, grinning.

"You know, Jael, for someone who's come to visit a laid up relative, you seem in a particularly bright mood. What's going on? You know you never could keep a secret." Iolaus asked, changing the subject with calm deliberation.

"Actually, its Iphicles who can't wait a moment longer to tell all of you our news. Go on, love, tell them." Jael grinned again, even more brightly, Iolaus thought.

Jason, Jason and Iolaus now all turned their gaze to the king of Corinth. Iphicles grinned and reached for his queen, who clearly enjoyed the chance to hasten into his arms.

 "It seems that. . . well to make a long story short . . . Andreos is finally going to get something he's been wanting." The king smiled even more broadly when he realized he'd only added to the general confusion. "Someone he's
been wanting, I mean. A sibling. We're expecting!"

Iolaus cheered and pounded Iphicles joyously on the back in congratulations, nearly knocking the monarch on his face. Then he hugged Jael, and swung her around happily, clearly delighted, at which the queen was both glad and relieved.

Jason shouted gladly and almost forgot his injured leg, as he started to stand up. "Get over here, you two!" he ordered, sitting back again. His son by marriage, he clasped arms with, grinning so widely at becoming a grandfather again he felt his face might break. His daughter by law, though he took into a gentler embrace, knowing perfectly well how strong she was, and yet feeling a twinge of
tenderness.

"My midwives seem to think I could be carrying twins. Its really a bit early to tell. We decided, unless there's some objection, that if the babies are girls, we want to name them Alcmene and Ilaia." Jael told Jason, watching his face as she invoked the name of his late wife and her long lost granddaughter.

"If the babies are boys, we want to name them Aeson and Iolaus." Again she paused, looking for any negative reaction to the suggestion. Seeing none, she went on: "Do we have your permission Iolaus, Jason?"

"Nothing would make Hercules happier, I'm sure." answered Jason, speaking for his absent stepson. "Or Alcmene and I prouder."

"Or me more honored." Iolaus told the parents to be forthrightly.

"Then its decided." Iphicles pronounced. "Time for a party, then."

Jael nodded, smiling at her family, wondering when was the last time she'd seen them all so happily together.
"C'mon all you able bodies, get the goodies in here. You *know* women in my delicate condition aren't supposed to lift and carry! Besides, I'm getting more and more used to this royal business." She laughed as Iphicles and Iolaus rushed around at her command. "Yes, its good to be queen!"