Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Character:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Completed:
2008-03-21
Words:
38,667
Chapters:
15/15
Kudos:
20
Hits:
5,124

Friends and Lovers #3 of Loyal Hearts Days fics

Summary:

Following tragedy, friendships, lives and loyal hearts go on in Salem, USA, although greatly changed. The Salemites have changed, but have their old troubles and enemies vanished forever?

Chapter 1: Chapter 1/15

Chapter Text

Friends and Lovers a third new Lumi fic by Rielle #3 in the Loyal Hearts series

Friends and Lovers a third new Lumi fic by Rielle #3 in the Loyal Hearts series

Friends and Lovers

-Artists; Gloria Loring and Carl Anderson
-peak Billboard position # 2 in 1986
-Words and Music by Paul Gordon and Jay Gruska

What would you say if I told you
I've always wanted to hold you?
I don't know what we're afraid of
Nothing would change if we made love

CHORUS
'cause I'll be your friend
And I'll be your lover
Well, I know in our hearts we agree
We don't have to be one or the other

Yes, it's a chance that we're taking
And somebody's heart may be breaking
But we can't stop what's inside us
Our love for each other will guide us

CHORUS?

I've been through you
And you've been through me
Sometimes a friend is the hardest to see
We always know when it's laid on the line
Nobody else is as easy to find

So I'll be your friend
And I'll be your lover
Well, I know in our heart we agree
We don't have to be one or the other

Disclaimer,

a)

if you recognize the characters in this work of fiction they belong to Ken Corday, Sony and NBC in something like that order. I don't own them, and am not making any profit from this work of fiction.

b)

This is an alternative fiction, with some basic similarities and some major differences to what is aired on Days of Our Lives. For those who haven't read 'One Voice' by this author, the main differences are in the parentage of the 'Geminis', which remains Marlena Evans and Tony Dimera, and the motives of several characters, mostly for the good.

c)

Some elements of this story may involve or have characters discussing or participating in consensual sexual relations between adults. For that reason, the rating on this story should be PG-17. If you find such concepts or content not to your liking, or you are under 18 years of age, please, read no further.

And great thanx to Ali and Bryan, whose work for the past ten years has inspired us all.

Rielle

Part 1/15

Thanksgiving Day, 2004, St Mark's Catholic Church, Salem,

Lucas Desmond Roberts stood in the room behind the sacristy, fidgeting harder than his ten and a half year old son, Will. Will Roberts was his usual frenetic self today, to the tenth power, and still his father had him beat. And sitting across the room, relaxed and grinning widely at both of them, was a dapper older gentleman they'd only recently come to know as father and grandfather, Antony Dimera. Worst still, next to Tony sat John Black, stepfather of the bride to be, Samantha Gene Brady, openly laughing at the nerve rattling of the groom to be, and his ring bearer.

"Oh, thanks, you two." Lucas griped, as he continued to worry at first his own tie and then Will's.

"Guess you've both been married so many times, and I hate to bring this up now, but even to the same woman, that it's all old hat to you.

Well, I've only been married once before and it proved to be a disaster all the way around! So, if I'm a little jittery, I think I have every right."

"You know, Lucas." John shook his head at the younger man, "Any other day I would have to bust your chops for bringing up Kristen Blake. I made a fool of myself over her, back then, and in the process broke up Tony's marriage and nearly broke Marlena's heart. But today, nothing could mar my good mood, and I don't think you will even get a rise out of my brother here. What do you say, Tony?"

"John forgot to mention that he almost lost Marlena to my ex's wiles." Tony added. "And that would have been a terrible shame. When I think back I realize my adopted sister and former wife couldn't hold a candle to Sami's mother, or yours, Lucas."

Lucas shook his head and went back to fussing with his gleaming dark brown tux. He was feeling just good enough to admit to himself, anyway that the color was a very good choice, made with the sharp eyed help of their sisters, Billie, Cassie and Belle. But he still wasn't happy with the haircut he'd decided to get yesterday. Only Sami's smiling approval of this nearly last minute change calmed his worries in that regard. Will, on the other hand, was plainly bored with the whole dressing formally problem, and showed himself thoroughly both his parent's son by turning his healthy curiosity on Tony.

"Did you go out with Kate, yet?" Will demanded to know, his eyes as wide and blue as his mother's.

"No, young William, unless you count her sitting between my brother and myself at the rehearsal dinner. Your grandmother has always been not only a strikingly handsome woman, but after a certain point, a highly independent one as well. So, we are not ... going out, as yet. I await with all due patience the time when she considers the possibility."

But Will was stuck back on Tony's description of Kate Roberts. "..Handsome?"

Tony laughed. "The phrase is a bit old fashioned, I'm afraid, but accurate. And that tie they saddled you with is old fashioned, too. Why don't I see if I can work out something better?"

Tony reached into his own tux's single pocket and earned a grin from his grandson by producing a dark silk ascot that didn't need tying at all, only clipping closed at the back of his neck.

"Kewl" Will exclaimed, "Can I go show it to Mom?"

"Will, your Mom's busy getting ready too." Lucas warned.

"Yeah, I know, Dad. But you're the one who can't see her dress before she comes down the aisle with John." Will grinned, showing off his accumulation of wedding trivia and tradition. "It would be bad luck."

"That's even more old-fashioned stuff." Lucas complained, knowing it wouldnt do any good. "It comes from a time when a man couldn't see his bride to be before the wedding at all, so that he wouldn't take off for the hills before the deed was done. And Will, if I hadn't ever seen your Mom before today, guess what?"

"Hello? I wouldn't even be here. Bye Dad, bye, John, bye Tony!" Will laughed and bolted out the door before any of them could make a move to prevent it.

"You know, Tony, I hated boarding school, but I'm beginning to think my kid needs it!" Lucas growled. "His manners ... "

"Calm, calm. You know better than I do how impossible it is to restrain a growing boy, my boy. I can only imagine what a handful you were at that age, with only Katherine to keep you in check. She managed to send me a picture now and then by a terribly circuitous route. And of course, there was no possibility of a correspondence. I don't regret it, really, that secrecy was the only shield we could give you."

"I know." Lucas said seriously, then grinned, looking very much like his son, as he gave up fighting with what was supposed to be a stylish bow tie. "I don't suppose you brought one of those clip tie things for me, too?"

"No, he left that to me." John answered, and pulled out another of the useful articles. "Sami may recognize this when she gets a moment. I wore it when I finally married her mother under my own name. Maybe it'll be just as lucky for you, Lucas."

"John, I ..." Lucas stared at the man who had so very recently 'become' his uncle. "Thanks."

"No problem. And Lucas, I have another 'gift' for you." John said, his eyes gleaming with unshed tears.

"A gift?"

"Just this: You don't need to have any doubt at all that Marlena and Roman would be as happy for you today as Tony and Kate and I are. In fact, I'm sure they are And Im sure they'd want you to know that. And there is no one else I would ever be as glad to 'give' a young woman I have always thought of as my own daughter. No one."

Lucas knew he was staring at John, and that he should say something in response. But he couldn't seem to get the words out of his throat. They were sticking there, along with an oddly happy ache. And it was all the more impossible to grasp when Lucas remembered the long, difficult talk he'd had with this same man, soon after Sami proposed. With so much going on at the time, mostly bad, some good, Lucas had made himself go to John Black with everything that could possibly change his opinion of the man Sami wanted to marry. They had spent all one day and into the same night, clearing the air and trying to see their way clear. And Lucas had ended that session more amazed than he could ever remember being. John seemed to welcome their discussion, and Lucas thought at first, simply as a distraction from his fresh loss.

But it was more than that. Lucas realized, as it seemed to give John a chance to talk with someone about any number of deeds he wished had gone undone, and words left unspoken. They became friends that night beyond their alliance to win Sami's heart for Lucas.

They reached an understanding that eased both of theirs, and Tony's heart as well. Because Tony was part of that same talk, weeks before Lucas knew him as his father. Tony who was now smiling fondly, and nodding at his brother John, and his son, Lucas. Finally, Lucas found the words he wanted to say to both brothers: "I can't think of anything that could mean more to me, today."

"Except forgetting your vows. Maybe?" John smiled, and they laughed together.