Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Character:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
1,345
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
11
Hits:
1,155

Age of Innocence

Summary:

Summary: This story takes place in the future with Elizabeth Corday's daughter grown to adulthood. Kim, Jimmy, and Joey from Third Watch have moved to New York also.
Disclaimer: The only one that is mine is Rance. Everyone else belongs to NBC. I couldn't afford them anyway.
Feedback: always welcome. But be kind, this is my first time writing.

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:

 


Age of Innocence
by Sue Keough
cateyes0298@yahoo.com


Ella sat in the booth staring out the window. All she could think of was the fight that she had with her mom. She really hated it when her mother treated her like a child; after all she was almost twenty-one now. And that was more than old enough to make her own decisions, at least in her opinion. But her mother didn't see it that way. She was still treating her like she was ten years old or something. It was really getting old. But she didn't know how to convince her that she wasn't that little girl with pigtails anymore. She was so mad she could almost feel the steam coming out of her ears.

She was supposed to be studying for her college finals. Fat chance of that happening. All she could think of was the fight with her mom. Her friends thought that she was too much of a "momma's girl" because it bothered her when they argued, or fought. Her friends fought with their parents all the time over everything that you could think of. And it didn't bother them. Most of the arguments that they had didn't lie this heavy on her mind, but this one was different. In a fit of anger she had told her mother that she was moving out, going as far away from her as possible. She had even told her that she hated her, never wanted to see her again, and to add insult to injury she had said that she wished that her father were still around. She didn't remember him, but she just knew that he had to be easier to get along with than her mother is. He would have understood.

Rachel, her half-sister had told her many stories about her dad. He sounded so great.

Why did her mother have to make such a big fuss over her friends and her clothes? "I buy my own clothes!" She had yelled at her. "And I'm the one who has to wear them, NOT YOU!!!!!" She didn't think there was anything wrong with her black leather mini skirt, and the pink cashmere sweater. It looked really good on her.

"That skirt makes you look cheap and trashy, and I won't have you embarrassing me in public by wearing that." Her mother had said, then ordered her to go change her clothes.

She couldn't believe that she had told her that she hated her and wished that she had been the one to die not her father.

Sitting in the booth at Doc Magoo's always made her feel closer to her dad. She knew that he had spent a lot of time here, while he worked at County General, which was across the street.

She was brought back to reality by the police officer that stopped at her table. "Can I help you?" She asked that officer.

"Yes, I'm looking for Ella Green. I was told that I could find her here. Are you Ella? The officer asked.

Her response was silenced by the ambulance coming down the road, going to the hospital. Before she could make another attempt at a response, she heard three different beepers going off. Each one played a different toon. One even played "Three blind mice" how funny, she thought. Emergency, gotta run, she thought as three people in teal scrubs ran out the door and across the parking lot in record time.

"Miss, What is your name?" the officer asked a second time. "It is urgent that I find her."

"My name is Ella, What is so urgent?" she asked, as a lump started to appear in her throat, accompanied by the butterflies in her stomach. Her mind drifted off, trying to figure out what her mother was up to this time. She had called the police and reported her as a runaway when she took off and stayed with her friend Macy for two days. But that was when she was thirteen, and now she was legally an adult.

"I have some bad news, miss. It appears that your mother, Elizabeth Corday-Green was involved in an automobile accident," He thought. He never could find just the right words for this. He always hated this part of his job. He had only been a police officer for about a year, so it was all still pretty new to him. The only thing he hated more was having to tell someone that their loved one had died. That part escaped him this time, because she was alive when the EMT's took her to the hospital. That was probably them coming down the street now, sirens blazing. I hope that she makes it, was all he could think.

"HELLO, What is so urgent?" she asked one more time, hoping to get his attention. It seemed that the ambulance had caught his eye.

"Oh, sorry." He said, blushing. It always embarrassed him when he was caught drifting off. "It appears..no, um.. I have some bad news. Your mother, Elizabeth Corday-Green, right?" he asked before continuing. He didn't want to get the wrong person, not again anyway.

"Yes, she is my mother, what about her" she asked, somewhat annoyed. She was losing her patience with this jerk. She really hadn't wanted
any company.

"Well, um..apparently, she was in an.I mean, she had a.There's been an accident." He said. He felt the heat rising into his face and new that he was turning red. He always ended up sounding like a complete idiot when he had to give bad news to a family.

"What kind of accident?" she asked in a voice no louder than a whisper. Her heart sank when his eyes finally met hers.

Judging by the look on his face, she could tell that it wasn't good.

"Is she okay?" She asked as her voice cracked. She could feel the tears ready to rush from her eyes at any given moment.

"Well, I'm not sure how bad it is. All that I know is that she going to County General, over there," he said pointing to the hospital.

The ambulance had stopped and already unloaded its cargo. She could see Kim getting in the driver's seat. She knew Kim because she went to school with her son Joey. They had even dated for a while before he went of to UCLA after graduation. She really missed him. Things were so different back then. She hadn't seen him for almost two years. She talked to him almost daily on the phone, but it just wasn't the same. That was another thing her mom had complained about this morning, the phone bill.

"I can take you over there and help you find her.." he said as his voice drifted off.

She couldn't imagine her mom being in a car accident. She was probably the safest driver that she knew. "What is your name?" she asked. She knew that he had told her already, but she couldn't remember it.

"My name is Rance Lewis." He said. "I can take you over there and help you find her, if you would like. My mother is a doctor there." He told her, feeling like such an idiot as soon as it came out.

"My mother is a surgeon there, I can find her myself." She said somewhat snippy. She couldn't believe how short she was being with him. She usually wasn't like this. Is he trying to come onto me, now of all times? she thought. That takes nerve.

She could hear him talking to her, but what he was saying was all a blur. She did catch his mother's name, Susan Lewis. Gathering up her books she ran out the door and across the street to the hospital. She made a mental note to find her after she found out about her mother, and send apologies for her behavior. She had practically knocked the poor guy down when she left. Must apologize later, she told herself.

 

END PART 1

Notes:

This orphaned work was originally on Pejas WWOMB posted by author Sue Keough.
If this work is yours and you would like to reclaim ownership, you can click on the Technical Support and Feedback link at the bottom fo the page.