Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Completed:
2008-03-10
Words:
6,792
Chapters:
5/5
Kudos:
26
Hits:
4,919

Risks

Summary:

Fandom: Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea
Pairings: Crane/Nelson
Archive: yes
Rating: PG-13 (this part)
Disclaimer: Not my characters nor am I making a profit
Summary: Somewhat of a sequel to "Seminar Situations". Lee goes on dangerous mission.

Chapter 1: Chapter 1

Chapter Text

 


Risks
by S.


"Lee?"

"Yes, Admiral?"

"Are you sure you're allright?"

"You heard Jamie. He said it was just a slight concussion. Once my head stops hurting, I'll be fine."

"But your ribs?"

"Just bruised."

"Well thank goodness, for that. You seem to spend more time in sick bay than Jamie!"

Lee smiled. It did seem to be true. Usually he just took it as part of being the captain of SEAVIEW, but this time was different.

Crane had just returned from a seminar in San Francisco where he had met Adam Pierson, a Professor of Linguistics. The two men had shared a brief, but intense, weekend. It was Adam who had convinced the Captain to tell Nelson about his feelings.

Lee had reurned to the sub, determined to do just that, but once again his plans had gone awry.

The President had demanded that Nelson attend a conference in Pearl Harbor. Normally the red-haired admiral would have just taken the flying sub, but the President wanted to show off SEAVIEW to some politicians.

The handsome Captain was used to bureaucrats who knew nothing about life aboard a submarine. They poked and prodded and made nuisances of themselves. But this group had been especially annoying since one of them had brought his daughter along. Nominally an aide, the daughter had immediately appropriated the Captain.

Lee had nothing against women, but this particular member of the sex had all the characteristics of a scorpion, black widow, and Lucretia Borgia combined.

One night she had even burst into Lee's cabin unannouced saying a crew member had insulted her by saying she was unauthorized to be in the missile room!

The brunet tried to placate the distraught young woman, but since he was in his pyjamas, this proved to be difficult. She immediately took on a kittenish air asking him if he was "involved" and other personal questions.

Crane had learned long ago how to be diplomatic, but it wasn't easy with a beautiful, determined woman clinging to his arm.

Unfortunately, Admiral Nelson had chosen that moment to come to Lee's cabin. Knocking and entering immediately, the Admiral said nothing when he saw his Captain's attire and the voluptuous blonde practically wrapped around him. But for the last two days, Nelson had barely spoken to his best friend.

Perhaps it was fortunate that Crane had met up with a slight accident while equipment was being loaded aboard the sub. Normally Chip Morton would have handled it, but Lee had volunteered to take the Exec's place so he could have some extra shore leave. A chain had snapped which caused the cargo to shift, knocking the Captain down.

The Admiral had been in his cabin when the incident occurred. He had immediately headed to sickbay when Patterson informed him of the accident--his aloofness forgotten.

"Jamie, I'm going back to my cabin now."

The doctor looked at his captain. He knew that there was no point in arguing. Lee B. Crane was his worst patient. He might as well give in gracefully.

"Allright Skipper, but take it easy the rest of the day. Let me know if you feel nauseous or anything."

"Oh, I will!" Lee had had so many injuries that he knew the danger symptoms by heart. "I'm going to sack out for awhile."

Jamieson nodded. **Sure you will.**

"I'll walk you back, Lee. I want to talk to you for a minute."

"Not too long, Admiral."

Nelson glared at the doctor. "Of course not, Jamie."

Crane lay down on his bunk. He winced when his head touched the pillow. Although he didn't want to admit it, he was really glad to lie down again. Just the short trip from sickbay had tired him out. Plus his ribs were complaining about their mistreatment.

"So Admiral, what did you want to talk about?"

"Three days from now SEAVIEW will leave on a vital mission. The President has asked us to check out an enemy missile site. That's the real reason we stopped in Pearl Harbor so that I could be briefed on the situation."

"I see. And these visits by the politicians are just camouflage?"

"Exactly. Except...."

"Except?"

"The President suspects one of the lawmakers of being less than loyal."

"What?"

"An O.N.I. operative sent back a report saying that a missile complex had been built on an isolated island. He also mentioned that there had been refernces to a 'Senator' among the scientists there."

"He didn't find out who this Senator was?"

"He never reported in again. We must assume he's dead."

"Who was it?"

"Blake Templeton."

Lee closed his eyes. **God, not Blake!**

"He was a friend of yours, wasn't he?"

"Yes, he was in the class ahead of mine at the Academy. He kind of recruited me for O.N.I." **That's not all he recruited me for.**

Blake had been one of the few men that Lee had allowed himself to become involved with before Adam Pierson. It hadn't lasted long but was torrid while it did. Lee had moved on in the submarine service while Templeton had stayed with O.N.I.

The Admiral watched Crane. His pallor seemed to grow with the news of his friend's death. "We can talk about this tomorrow. You should sleep."

"No, I'm allright. Just tell me the rest, then I'll hit the sack."

"O.N.I. thinks it has eliminated most of the Senators, but there are still five under suspicion."

"Let me guess--the five who have been crawling all over SEAVIEW."

"Right. We were hoping that one of them would give himself awy, but there's been nothing so far. We have three days to find out who the traitor is and then we are going to eliminate the missile site."

"And make it look accidental, I suppose?"

"Right again."

"Well, I'd better get some sleep. It sounds like the next week is going to be busy."

"Good idea. Lee?"

"Yes, Admiral?"

"I'm really glad you weren't hurt bad. I'd hate to sail without my captain."

Lee's brown-gold eyes looked into Nelson's blue ones. **Oh, I am that! You just don't know how much I want to show you that I'm yours.** But of course, he could only reply, "Don't worry! I wouldn't let this submarine sail without me."

"Now get some sleep. If you feel up to it, join me for dinner."

"I will."


END OF 1/4