Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Relationship:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
950
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
14
Hits:
1,092

Cravings

Summary:

SUMMARY: Teyla's solution for insomnia
RATING: PG, T
CATEGORY: Romance
PAIRING: Teyla/John
SPOILERS: None, really.
WARNINGS: N/A
Archive: Yes
DISCLAIMER: 'Stargate Atlantis' and the related characters belong to MGM, Sci-Fi, and Gekko Productions, and no money is being made from this entertainment

Work Text:

 

 

Cravings
by Sue

Though exhausted, it had taken her what felt like ages to fall asleep. Every day brought new experiences with this pregnancy. She felt out of sorts, thoroughly exhausted one minute, and in the next fully capable of sprinting through dense forests. Or, besting a cocky Ronon with one hand tied behind her back. Her slumber was anything but peaceful. Warm milk had done the trick, brought to her by the colonel's own hand, and mercifully, sleep had finally claimed her.

Sheppard's constant consideration knew no bounds, of late, and though showing her appreciation for him and his concern wasn't as forthcoming as it could have been, Teyla was grateful...anxious, but grateful for his attention to her unspoken needs. Though everything had changed between them, he acted as if nothing really had, or ever could...

Her fitful tossing and turning could have easily been entered as a new Olympic event. The frenetic dream she was in the midst of forced her eyes to open wide. The last sensation, that of falling from someplace impossibly high, had her gripping the sides of her bed, but then her swollen hands flew to her cheeks. They felt warm, her forehead perspired. Where was she? Several confused moments passed with Teyla stumped as she sat up in her bed looking about her, soundly perplexed. Reality wafted its way to her in stages.

Atlantis...my room, she thought, not in my old village eating 'kouau', my favorite fruit with John, the way we had when I first met him. Slowly, she began remembering. I offered him the fruit, and he graciously accepted...then, a Wraith appeared out of nowhere, from within the dwelling, and drained his life before my eyes. I was caught away in a culling beam after witnessing his brutal death.

John... Teyla winced, and lamented, hanging her head in regret. She had practically bitten his head off, and all he had wanted to do was have her drink the warm white beverage she had no liking for. It worked for him on many a sleepless night, so he'd thought she should give it a try.

"What has gotten into me, besides Kanan's seed?" Teyla demanded of herself with a wry twist of her lips. Her expression went from sardonic to glum. "It would serve me right if John never speaks to me again," she agitatedly announced to her room. "Would his avoidance, his disregard suit me better?" Her eyes were suddenly overwhelmed by tears needling the backs of her lids. Her decision to bed Kanan had been impulsive, despite their having known each other for such a long time, and their joining, for the most part, taken for granted. The cherished memory of John slipping her old pendant around her neck made her breath catch. Had it been love at first sight, for them both? For her, doubts and recriminations malingered. Kanan was the safe, the known, John was the unknown, the exciting...the unspoken that fired her heart.

A few errant tears slid down her cheeks, and she whispered, "I wish this child was ours, John..." There, finally, she had said what she constantly fought against thinking, let alone admitting to the man whom she truly loved and would ineluctably die for. Punishing her face as she did so, Teyla wiped away her tears with the heels of her hand. She got out of bed, wanting what was hardly possible to obtain, and yet, the taste of it was in her watering mouth. "'Kouau.' I want some delectable 'kouau.'"

When John had first tasted some of the succulent, he had remarked that the fruit's taste closely resembled that of Earth's fruits watermelon and mango, combined. He had easily become a fan, even expressing that kouau juice would have no trouble replacing the international favorite, orange.

"I miss home so much. I miss my people. I miss..." Teyla muttered as her mind carried her back to dear memories and those responsible for them. "I might as well return to dreaming, or keep engaging in wishful thinking," she uttered in resignation. "That is the closest I will get to having my cravings satisfied." She contemplated, deciding that she needed something...anything sweet, and fairly juicy, with a hint of tart. She cast wistful eyes at her room's door tentatively before going for it, knowing full well that what the Mess had to offer came nowhere near to what would truly satisfy her.

She activated the door and nearly cried out in surprise, seeing who was standing before it.

"Don't ask me how, but somehow I had the feeling you were awake again, and restless," John said, looking a cross between befuddled and cocksure. "What do you need, and I won't say warm milk this time."

Teyla, unsure of what she should say, stood motionless, appraising the gifted man who stood before her with receptive eyes. His hair was a sight, his eyes bright and speculative. He reached out his hand, aiming for the side of her head. Gently, his fingers tucked a shock of shimmering hair behind her ear.

"There," he whispered, and began retracting his hand.

Teyla prevented it from leaving hers. She gripped his hand, and her tone matched his. "It's you, John. I need..." Interlocking her fingers with his, she locked his hand into place with hers. "I want you." With a mystical smile, she coaxed him along, and they disappeared into her room.

Upon her accommodating bed, he cradled her in his arms, and she softly sang to him an Athosian lullaby. John stroked her swollen belly until Teyla was on the brink of falling back to sleep, but before she did, she tenderly murmured, "'Kouau,'" several times.

 

End...