Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Relationship:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
2,874
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
10
Hits:
1,763

Pizza and Admirals

Summary:

Fandom: "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea"
Pairing: Crane/Nelson
Rating: PG
Disclaimer: Not my characters and I am not making a profit.
Archive: Yes
Summary: This story takes place right after the episode, "Edge of Doom."

Work Text:

 

Pizza and Admirals
by
S.


Lee Crane sat in his small apartment. Because of his positon as Captain of the submarine SEAVIEW, he was rarely home long enough to need a bigger place. Now all that was to change. The dark-haired captain had decided to resign after the events of the last cruise.

Harriman Nelson, Lee's boss and best friend, had been ordered to smoke out a traitor on board. In Washington's eyes, Crane was the #1 suspect. As a result the Admiral, with the help of Chief Sharkey and the Exec Chip Morton, had humiliated and tormented Crane to the edge of despair.

Fortunately, SEAVIEW was now safe as was Francis Sharkey. The unmasking of the true imposter seemed to signal a return to normal life aboard the fabulous submarine. Of course, life on a sub that had to deal with aliens, mermaids, crazy scientists and monsters would hardly be considred normal to most people. Still it was the life Crane loved, at least up until the last mission.

The handsome Captain couldn't reconcile what the Admiral had done. In his head the young man knew that his friend was following orders, but his heart reflected only blackness for the lack of trust shown him.

<<There had to be some other way. Why did he let that bastard torture me like that?>> Even now, days after SEAVIEW'S return, Crane couldn't bear to think about those harrowing events. Therefore it seemed that the only way to put all of the misery behind, was to leave. Maybe then the nightmares would stop, and his confidence would return.

Lee looked at the clock. << Chip should arrive at any moment.>> For the first few days of shore leave Crane had barely left the apartment. Finally after persistent phone calls from Chip Morton, he'd agreed to let the Exec come over for pizza and beer. Not that Lee was hungry, but maybe Chip's company would help. Strangely, he'd easily forgiven the blond's part in the deception but not his Admiral's

Just then the door bell chimed. "Come on in, Chip. I thought...." Standing there was Harriman Nelson carrying a briefcase, a pizza box and a 6-pack of beer. For some moments Crane just stared.

"Uh, Lee, may I come in? Speechless, the Captain took the pizza box and led the Admiral to the coffee table in the small living room.

"Surprised, aren't you?"

"Ye...yes. Where's Chip?"

"Unfortunately, he was called back to Texas. It seems his mother has been taken ill."

"Oh, I'm sorry to hear that."

"He tried to call you, but the line was busy."

Lee flushed slightly. He had taken the phone off the hook. He hadn't wanted to talk to anyone--especially the man standing before him.

"So he called me at the Institute. He told me that you were going to have beer and pizza so I thought I'd bring it by."

"That wasn't necessary, Admiral. You could just have had it delivered. I'm not hungry anyway."

"Well I am! Get some plates. I've been in meetings all day. Angie managed to get me a sandwich but that was hours ago.

"I hope you like the pzza. Chip told me your favorite topping--anchovies, isn't it?"

For the first time Lee smiled slightly. "Well, at least we've never been attacked by a giant anchovy!"

Nelson laughed. "No, that's one of the few creatures that hasn't."

Nelson popped open the top of one of the beers , and took a long swallow. "That's better. Talking to those long-winded bureaucrats is dry work. But I think I've talked them into financing the next cruise. It's likely to be a long one so we'll need to spend extra time in Santa Barbara making sure the equipment is installed properly." The Admiral continued on and on about the next mission.

<<I've got to tell him that I'm resigning.>> Suddenly the world started spinning and Lee couldn't breathe. He tied to rush over to the window for some air but his legs were like jellyfish. In fear of passing out, Crane leaned over. Vaguely he felt a hand push his head down. The blood rushing to his head cleared away the vertigo. From a distance Lee could hear Nelson's voice, "Lee, come, you need to lie down."

The Captain tried to stand, but the bedroom looked so far away. It was only the strong arm of Harriman Nelson that enabled Crane to make it into the other room where he collapsed on the bed. Nelson removed Lee's loafers and then covered him with a blanket. Sleep then overtook the exhausted man.

Some hours later Crane woke. <<Bed? How did I get here? The Admiral was talking and I....The Admiral?>> Lee rose unsteadily and walked to the living room. Nelson sat there reading papers. One-half of the pizza and three bottles of beer were gone. The Admiral turned around, taking in the Captain's haggard appearance.

"Lee, why are you up? You should go back to bed. You look exhausted>"

"Why are you here?"

"Don't you remember I brought the pizza?"

"I know. I mean, why are you still here?"

"I couldn't just walk off 'til I made sure you're all right. I think you'd better come with me and have Jamie check you out."

"NO! I'm not going back to the Institute. I'm not going back to SEAVIEW. I'm not going anywhere with you!"

Nelson looked like he'd been kicked in the stomach. Breathless, he hesitated. Finally a whisper emerged, "You don't mean that."

"Hell yes, I mean it! Hell--that's a good word for what I've been through. You think you can just come over here with pizza and beer and we'll be good buddies again? Well, we can't. I can't...I can't."

Lee staggered over to the couch, holding onto the back so he wouldn't slide to the floor. "Admiral, please....just leave me alone."

Harri's blue eyes looked at his Captain. Even under intense stress the man was still beautiful. Of course, Nelson had noticed that the first day Lieutenant Crane had reported aboard the old NAUTILUS. Now, over a decade later, the beauty had only matured.

"Lee, I know you've gone through a rough time and you're exhausted. We can talk about this when you're feeling better."

"Feeling better? You act like I've got the sniffles. You thought I was a traitor. You let that sadist torture me." At the astonishment on Nelson's face, Crane shouted, "Yes, torture. Don't you think it's torture to know that your best friend doesn't trust you? That he'd rather confide in Sharkey than me!"

"Lee, you're being irrational. I was under orders!"

"Orders! Oh yes, those written-in-stone orders. Tell me, Admiral, how many times have you ignored orders when you felt they were wrong?"

Nelson hung his head. "Lee, you're right. I have done that, but I had to be sure."

Those words hit Lee in the gut. He had heard the Admiral say the same thing night after night in his terrifying dreams. His stomach recoiled with a shudder. Mercifully, he made it to the bathroom to retch in solitude. He lay down on the cool tiles, sweat covering his body.

Soon he felt a cool, wet cloth wiping across his face. "Lee, you've got to get up. Come on, I'll help you."

Wearily Lee complied. The bed felt wonderful on his aching body. Although the room was quiet, he knew the red-haired man was nearby. "Admiral, I'm okay. You can go home."

"Captain Crane, you are not okay. I'm afraid you may be ill so I intend to stay here until you feel better." Too tired to protest Lee again fell into the abyss of sleep.

Daylight flooded the bedroom when Lee woke again. He needed to use the bathroom, but put it off until it became imperative. Fortunately much of the dizziness had passed, and his short trip to the lavatory was copleted without mishap. He even felt good enough to brush his teeth.

Walking back into the bedroom, he slipped on a robe since he wore only boxers. Vaguely, he realized that the Admiral must have undressed him.

<<God, I don't want to see him again.>> But Lee Crane hadn't become SEAVIEW"S Captain just because of his handsome appearance. Summoning his courage, he walked into the other room to face his Admiral.

_______________


At first Lee didn't see Nelson, then he noticed the door to the balcony was open. Balcony--that was an overstatement. It wasn't much more than a ledge with a railing, but it did allow Crane to see the ocean--if he stood on his toes.

Leaning on the railing, Harri appeared to be lost in thought. "Admiral?"

Startled, Nelson dropped the cigarette stub he was holding. "Oh Lee, how are you feeling?"

"Better," replied Crane as he backed up into the living room.

"Do you feel up to talking now?"

Lee nodded. "Admiral, I..I apolgize for yelling at you. I'm not quite myself." Suddenly he realized what he had said. "I mean...."

"I know what you meant. Commander Crane, sit down. It's obvious that there are things we need to clear up. In fact I blame myself for not doing so before."

Again the Admiral hesitated. Rarely was Harriman Nelson speechless, but sometimes he felt almost shy in his Captain's presence. He had always been proud of Crane's accomplishments. Indeed he never would have selected the young man for command had he not possessed extraordinary abilities. But in the last few months, Nelson had realized something else. He was attracted to his Captain.

Since Nelson was a man of principle, he knew he could not take advantage of the Captain's subordinate rank and postion. But it had not been easy. Every time Crane was wounded or put in danger, Harri feared that he might lose the young officer--without ever having told Lee of his feelings.

And then there was the age difference. Nelson knew he was attractive in some ways, but why would a beautiful, young man like Lee Crane even want a relationship with a short, stocky redhead who was nearly fifteen years older than himself--even if he did have four stars?

Harri looked at the too-thin figure in front of him. He had to make this right. Even if there was no chance of a physical relationship, he couldn't--he wouldn't lose Crane as a friend.

"First of all, Lee, I'm the one who should apologize. I handled the last mission quite badly. I let the imposter terrorize you and SEAVIEW. That was inexcusable.

"Admiral...."

"Please hear me out. I know I had orders, but you're right--there were other ways to find out who the imposter was. I can't ask you to forgive me, but I hope you'll understand when I say there were reasons I behaved the way I did."

"Reasons?"

"Yes, there's no need to go into them, however, I do hope that you will reconsider your decision to leave. The crew and SEAVIEW need you."

Lee stood and walked over to Nelson. Dark eyes looked down into blue. "Is that the only reason you want me to stay? Because SEAVIEW needs me?"

"Well...of course. You're the finest captain she could have."

"I see." Letting out his breath, he continued, "I'll think about it." He turned toward the bedroom. "If that's all you have to say, I think I'll go back to bed."

"Oh of course. Would you like anything before I go?"

"Maybe a cup of hot tea I'm feeling a bit cold."

Lee climbed into bed, pulling the covers over his head. Despair flooded his heart. <<I really thougt he cared about me a little bit--as his friend or ....>> Lee always believed the Admiral looked upon him as a kind of brother. <<I don't want to be his brother or just his captain. I want....>>

Suddenly he knew what he wanted from Harriman Nelson and that answer overwhelmed him. He wanted the Admiral's love. A hysterical laugh broke out from the slender frame. Love? Admiral Nelson loved only two things: his sister Edith and his work! The tide of laughter rolled on.

<<God, I am pathetic!>>

Just then the older man entered carrying a mug of tea. "You really must be feeling better."

"Oh yes, I am feeling better." He took the mug, holding it as if to toast the man opposite him. "Here's to you, Admiral Harriman Nelson--intrepid mariner, world-famous scientist and healer of all that is broken." Trembling with emotion, Lee slammed the cup down on the night table, shattering the pottery.

"Lee!" Nelson hurried over to pry open the grasping fingers. Blood dripped from the broken shards of pottery. Lee just stared at his hand while the Admiral removed a sliver from his palm. He then cleaned and bandaged the wound.

"What was that all about?"

Crane just shook his head. "I can't tell you. If I do, you'll hate me."

"Hate you? What are you talking about? You're not making sense."

"Yes, Admiral. You are absolutely right as always. Nothing makes sense anymore. That's why I have to leave SEAVIEW. I have to leave before I tell you the truth, make a fool of myself and disgrace this uniform."

"Truth, what truth?"

"You know that old saying about truth setting you free? What a joke! The truth only destroys!"

Again Nelson demanded, "What truth?"

"You really want to know? Okay I'll tell you and then maybe I'll really be free of you! The reason I'm leaving is that I'm in love with you. Now isn't that a laugh?"

Harri's blue eyes clouded over, then cleared. "No, it's not a laugh. I think it's wonderful--if you mean it."

Lee sobered immediately. "Oh I mean it. That's why it hurt so much when you didn't trust me. I thought we had a bond between us. But it broke--if it was ever there."

Nelson sat down on the bed beside Crane. Gently caressing Lee's cheekbones, Harri whispered, "Lee, it's still there." Then he leaned forward to kiss his friend. Leaning back he remarked again, "It's there and I'd like it to grow stronger--in every way."

The Captain's dark eyes closed. He was sure that when he opened them, he'd find himself alone--he had to be dreaming. Instead he felt himself enfolded in a loving embrace. Pushed back onto the bed, the Admiral's warm body covered his.

Loosening the belt of Lee's robe, Nelson began to caress the body beneath. "Lee, open your eyes and look at me." Crane hesitated. Some part of him feared what he would see, but the voice was almost a command--and Lee Crane rarely disobeyed a command.

Blue eyes filled with a promise smiled back at him. "I love you too."

With those words all thought of hesitation disappeared. The dark-haired man immediately began to unbutton the Admiral's uniform shirt. Even with only one good hand, Crane soon was able to divest his love of all but underclothes. Then there was nothing between the lovers.

The young man's passion for the older seemed to grow as he began his careful exploration of the stocky body. The Admiral tasted of the sea and cigarettes. Whispering into Harri's ear, Lee offered, "If I could think of something besides cigarettes to put in your mouth would you give them up?" Nelson moaned. The thought of taking Lee into his mouth made him want to go cold turkey right then and there!

"Just think about that while I do this." Crane continued his licking, kissing and nibbling. Each movement illicited waves of pleasure. Just when Harri thought Lee couldn't top the overwhelming sensations, the Captain returned to the Admiral's mouth.

Probing with their tongues, the kiss left both men breathless. "For an admiral, you're a pretty good kisser."

"That's how I got my fourth star."

Crane burst out laughing. "Oh Admiral, I do love you."

Suddenly Lee found himself on the bottom. "With a mischievous grin, the Admiral boasted, "I'm also tricky."

"I should say."

"Now, my dear Captain, what would you like?"

"You. I want to taste you. I want to take your cock in my mouth and make you shout with pleasure."

For one instant the Admiral hesitated. "Only if I can do the same to you."

So the two men adjusted their positions so that each could give the other his desire. Despite their efforts to prolong the intensity, their mutual orgasms rapidly burst forth.

Lee trurned to embrace his lover. "Admral,that was wonderful."

"And it will be even better the next time. But don't you think you could call me Harri now?"

"Adm...I mean Harri, do you think that's a good idea? I might forget while we're on SEAVIEW."

Nelson grinned. "So you are planning to come back?"

"Well of course." He stopped. "Thiis wasn't...this wasn't just to get me to stay?"

A look of fury crossed Harriman Nelson's face, then faded. "Hell, Lee, don't you trust me?"

"With my life and heart."

"That's good because I feel the same about you. Now I have only one other question."

"What?"

"Was it better than pizza?"

"Yes Harri--even without the anchovies!"

THE END