Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Categories:
Fandoms:
Relationship:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Peja's Wonderful World of Makebelieve Import
Stats:
Published:
2020-11-05
Words:
869
Chapters:
1/1
Kudos:
11
Hits:
1,768

I'm Gonna Love Somebody

Summary:

A misunderstanding leads to misery, but Steve's determined to make things right. Songfic to Mark Wills

Work Text:

Jesse slammed he door and leant up against it, breathing heavily, almost immediately there was loud knocking on the door, the bell rang, long and hard and the knocking started up again. Jesse closed his eyes to help to pull himself together.

 

“Jesse, please open the door, I’m sorry.” Steve’s desperate voice drifted through the door to him, and then there was a short silence. “Jess, please, just open the door, let me explain.”

 

“No, I get it, you don’t want to be with me any more, we’re over, I understand.” The tears began to fall as he spoke, the truth was beginning to sink in, it was over.

 

“No, Jess you don’t understand, I’m not breaking up with you, when I said I wanted to talk I wanted to tell you something, ask you something. Please just let me in.” Jesse slumped down to the floor; Steve heard the thud and sighed. “Okay, then I’ll just have to do it through the door.”

 

Jesse swiped at the tears still falling from his eyes. He sat up slightly, wanting to hear what Steve had to say.

 

“Jesse, there’s only one thing that matters to me now, can I ask you something, have I ever broken a promise to you?” Silence. “I’m going to take that as a yes.”

 I'm gonna make you a promise
Starting tonight

If I never do anything else

For the rest of my life
 

“ Jesse, this is my promise to you,”

 I'm gonna hold somebody
I'm gonna look in someone's eyes

'Till I'm so overcome that I cry

I'm gonna love somebody

More then anybody

Baby there's so much I wanna do

But I'm not gonna do anything without you
 

“Jesse, there’s never been anybody else, I promise that I’ll always look after you, I’ll never let anybody hurt you, I love you so much, I’m never going to let you go.”

 There's no way I'll ever give up
There's no way I'll lose

If I have to sacrifice everything

Then that's what I'll do
 

“You might not believe me, but I won’t stop until I’ve proved it to you, I’ll do anything for you, give you anything, give up anything.”

 I'm gonna hold somebody
I'm gonna look in someone's eyes

'Til I'm so overcome that I cry

I'm gonna love somebody

More then anybody

Baby there's so much I wanna do

But I'm not gonna do anything without you

Your the dream I live and breathe
All I think about

This is the fire that burns in me

That will never go out
 

“Jesse, you are my life, I love you, and I wanted to ask you, wait a moment, I want to speak to your face, Jess, please open the door.” A quiet click, then the door swung open, Steve looked at Jesse’s face, he’d been crying. “Can I come in?” A small nod, then Jesse walked inside and sat down. Steve walked over and knelt in front of him so that they were face to face. He took a deep breath preparing for what he was about to day.

 I'm gonna hold somebody
I'm gonna look in someone's eyes

'Til I'm so overcome that I cry

I'm gonna love somebody

More then anybody

Baby there's so much I wanna do

But I'm not gonna do anything without you

Baby there's so much I wanna do
But I'm not gonna do anything without you

I'm not gonna do anything without you

Anything without you
 

“Jess, I wanted to give you this,” Steve took a box out of his pocket and handed it to Jesse, Jesse opened it and looked up puzzled.

 

“I, it’s a key.” Steve nodded, grinning slightly at the look on his loves face.

 

“Yeah, it’s a key, Jesse I want you to move in with me, what do you say?” Steve wasn’t prepared for Jesse’s reaction, the younger man began sobbing, “Jess, aw babe, what’s the matter.” Steve pulled him into a hug, rubbing his hand up and down Jesse’s back in a comforting gesture. Jesse took a few moments to get himself together and then spoke up.

 

“Steve, I’m so sorry, I thought you were going to b break up with me, but y you were trying to to…” 

 

“Shh, Jess, I know, it’s okay, it was my fault, I didn’t make myself clear, but Jess, I am never going to break up with you, I love you, and you still haven’t given me an answer.” Jesse looked up guiltily.

 

“Of course I will, but will that be okay with Mark.” Steve began laughing, then sobered up, realising that Jesse might feel hurt by him laughing at him.

 

“Yeah, Jess, of course he’ll be fine, I’ve already checked, and he said it was about time his second son came home.”

 

“He really said that?” Steve nodded and then sat up on the sofa; Jesse snuggled against his older lover’s chest, content.

 

Ten minutes later Steve looked down at the sleeping angel in his arms and smiled, kissing the top of Jesse’s head he shifted a little bit to get comfortable and began to watch over Jesse, protecting him, just as he would for the rest of his life.